The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 04:47:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Root Canal - Is it painful?  (Read 29658 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2006, 09:31:33 PM »

OK on the cat and ant spray. Pesticides make me nervous especially when I carpet bomb my yard in the manner I did last week but I do like the end result.  I'll keep an eye out for her. Thanks.

The most effective ant control I've found is liquid boric acid bait.  You can make it but I bought it, Terro was the brand if I recall correctly.  It's thick sugar water with some amount of boric acid.  I've tried a lot of things, all kinds of pesticides.  None of that worked.  This stuff did.   Argentine ants are what we have out here.  They own the state.

http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/ants/
http://www.terro.com/
http://www-biology.ucsd.edu/news/article_051500.html

Jon
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2006, 01:02:22 AM »

Tom,
Little Miss Piggy came home tonight to pig out on a big bowl of sardines and mackeral.  Thanks for the reassurances.
BW

YAAAAY!!

After a week of worry, it's a real joyful moment when they finally show up, isn't it?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2006, 04:46:00 AM »

yeah, she gave me this "what's the big deal look" when I asked her where she's been.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w1guh
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2006, 09:06:14 AM »

Couple topics flew by there...

antibiotics....

I will only take penicillen...all the others mess me up.  And good ol' pennicillen does wonders for any infection I've ever had. 

periodontics...

My dentist a few years ago suggested that I have a periodontist look at me.  But he also said that he (my dentist) was pretty indifferent to the subject, like, if the perio... said my teeth would fall out....they might not...and also the other case.  So I went for the look-see and came away thinking it seemed like somewhat of a scam.

Now, ten years later, the teeth he made no mention of are long gone...the ones he was concerned about are mostly doing fine.  Be careful of periodontics.  It's obscenely expensive and painful and Delta doesn't cover it.

Flossing....

I only learned about this thing called a "proxa-brush" in '91...wish it had been years earlier.  It's a little brush that brushes between teeth.  It does a wonderful job easier than floss. 

Oh, yea, on root canals.  I especially like being "irrigated" with peroxide and bleach.  Two wonderferful substances to have in my mouth.  Glad the assistant was good with the aspirator.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2006, 02:59:02 PM »

Hi Phil,
No more carpenter ants.  Diatomaceous earth did the trick initially.  I saw quick results with that powder. Nice thing about it its not harmful to people or pets.  As insurance I did a little carpet bombing with ant killer around the edge of the yard where I thought the ants were coming from and around the foundation. It's been 2 days and not an ant in the house or garage.

Right now the cat is an outdoor cat.  She started hanging around the house back in December.  I started feeding her because I became concerned about her being able to survive the winter and be strong enough to defend herself. Also built her a shelter underneath the deck.  Unfortunately, she's still afraid of me and won't get to close but she's warming up to me.  Once I get control of her she's getting a bath and seeing a vet. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2006, 11:24:55 AM »

Hi Phil,
No more carpenter ants.  Diatomaceous earth did the trick initially.  I saw quick results with that powder. Nice thing about it its not harmful to people or pets.  As insurance I did a little carpet bombing with ant killer around the edge of the yard where I thought the ants were coming from and around the foundation. It's been 2 days and not an ant in the house or garage.

Okay, I have both carpenter ants and rotting wood that needs replacement in a section of wall. I also have a box of that diatomaceous earth. The question I have, how do you use it ?? Do you leave containers of the powder laying around ? Do you spread it where the ants walk ? Do you mix it with a bait ?? I'd love to give it a try but I have no idea of the proper way to use it.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2006, 03:58:02 PM »

Okay, I have both carpenter ants and rotting wood that needs replacement in a section of wall. I also have a box of that diatomaceous earth. The question I have, how do you use it ?? Do you leave containers of the powder laying around ? Do you spread it where the ants walk ? Do you mix it with a bait ?? I'd love to give it a try but I have no idea of the proper way to use it.

John,
I took a coffee can with a plastic lid on it.  Drilled a bunch of holes in it with a 1/4" drill and made a big salt shaker out it.  Then just sprinkled the powder like it was confectionery sugar.  I sprinkled a 2 foot wide band around the foundation.  Did a 3 foot wide border along an area where I figured the ants were coming from.  Also did one edge of my driveway with a 1 foot wide band.  You want to get a uniform spread so the ants walk through it, get it on them and/or eat it.  I found they either walked through it or avoided the stuff.  I saw a reduction in ant activiity outside soon after.  It wasn't until a day or two later I noticed a significant decline in ant activity in the house.  I attribute that to them being in the house for that time period rather than getting into the house. It's been 5 or 6 days now and not an ant to be seen. I think the sooner you act on ant activity the better.  I went to war about 2 days into noticing the activity.  I think if I waited longer I would have had to call a professional.

I used a bag packaged by a company called Safer Brand.  It came in a yellow bag with a green label.  The stuff is baited.  The theory is they go for the bait laden D.E. and consume it.  The D.E. apparently dehydrates the critters rather than poison them.

A google search using keywords "diatomaceous earth carpenter ants" brings up a bunch of info on the subject.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »

I'm stressin' out big time.  I've been told I'm going to lose the tooth this coming Wednesday. It's got me ticked off enough that I had a severe migraine and went down to the company hospital to have the BP checked and BP was well above normal. They sent me home to cool off.

Now the question is, what's it like to have a tooth pulled?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2006, 03:22:03 PM »

Had the tooth extracted this morning.  Turns out the back of the tooth was cracked and became infected down to the root.  A root canal wouldn't have fixed the problem considering how damaged the tooth was. The extraction didn't go smoothly and took nearly two hours. The local is wearing off and it does not feel too good right now. I look lke a veteran hockey player. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »

Had the tooth extracted this morning.  Turns out the back of the tooth was cracked and became infected down to the root.  A root canal wouldn't have fixed the problem considering how damaged the tooth was. The extraction didn't go smoothly and took nearly two hours. The local is wearing off and it does not feel too good right now. I look lke a veteran hockey player. 

Bummer, dude. Sorry to hear that.

One word: ibuprofen. Three more words: lots of it. It helped more than the codeine did when I had my wisdoms out. It does double-duty on both the pain and the swelling.

I was very fortunate when I had this last tooth out, it was already broken into several pieces and didn't put up much of a fight coming out. Sounds like your dentist had to go spelunking to get the job done.

Don't know if (s)he gave you any scripts, but I've found ibuprofen to be the most effective thing you can take right about now.

I just had about $2,200 worth of heavy drilling and blasting done yesterday, and Delta covers a whopping $700 of it. The rest came out of my pocket. Did the entire right side in one sitting, took a little over four hours. Worth it, though. I had lost fillings on facial teeth, which was giving me that authentic Maine smile. Four fillings up top, three on bottom, one of which was replacing about 3/4 of the tooth. HUGE improvement, and looks like a million bucks. This guy does great work, I gotta say.

We were afraid that decimated molar would need a root canal, but he actually managed to save the tooth and reconstruct it with medicated emalgam. Turns out the filling that had been in that tooth for years had way too much mercury in the mix, and never totally solidified. That's part of the reason the tooth crumbled so readily.

After leaving his office having been spared the root canal, I wondered how you'd made out. Sorry to hear it turned out that way. If it's any consolation (I'm sure it's not, but I'll say it anyway), even a bad extraction is loads cheaper than any root canal.

Hope you heal up okay. Good luck.

--Thom
Kilimanjaro Africa One Zulu Goat Cheese
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2006, 06:07:04 PM »

Hey Thom,

Sounds like you have a mouthful of work to be done, pardon the pun.  Wow. Over 4 hours keeping your mouth open. Your jaw must be tired. Hope you get it all fixed very quick.

I was in the chair for nearly 2 hours. The thing that made the job difficult was he told me I had long roots that were curved.  So that required a boat load of bone grinding to expose the roots.  The bone had to be ground down because the back side of the tooth caused a large amount deterioration to the bone so grinding was in the works anyway.  The good news is the rest of my teeth are OK fine.  The thing that got me all torqued up was I essentially had perfect teeth and this came out of the blue.  But the doc indicated that the tooth was cracked so it wasn't from neglect. 

Got tons of ibuprofen.  Also have some hydrocordone.  I have no desire to use the pain killers.  The ibuprofen seems to holding its own right now. I've been eating ibuprofen for a couple of weeks now.  Can't wait to stop taking it and the antibiotics.  Just wished the friggin bleeding would stop.  Just got to take it easy for a while.

Thanks
Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2006, 08:38:56 PM »

For moderate to sever tooth pain I have found the ibuprofen works quite well in prescription level doses. The OTC dose may not cut it.  Another non-narcotic that works very well for moderate and severe pain is Edotolac. Matter of fact I managed on one of those very 6 hours as opposed to several Ibuprofens every 3 hours.  The advantage of the narcotic stuff is in getting to sleep when you have pain.

The principle difference ithat I have found between the narco painkillers versus the non narco's is that the non-narco's deal with the swelling and take the pain away. The narco stuff raises the tolerance threshold, you are aware that the pain is there but it just doesn't bother you. That's why they often prescribe the combo drugs, usually a narcotic in combo with an NSAID.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2006, 08:58:51 PM »

Sgt. Friday from Dragnet talking to a frightened women with his deep voice:

" It's narcotics, ma'am. Those people will do anything to get 'em"....  Grin

T

* dragnet3.jpg (7.7 KB, 239x300 - viewed 415 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2006, 11:36:13 PM »

Hey Thom,

Sounds like you have a mouthful of work to be done, pardon the pun.  Wow. Over 4 hours keeping your mouth open. Your jaw must be tired. Hope you get it all fixed very quick.

I'm well over halfway there now. He literally did everything to the right of the centerline of my skull. That's where most of the facially-visible dental atrocities were committed, so it did the world of good.

It actually wasn't all that bad, Bob. We all (the dentist, two assistants, and myself) had each other's body language down in pretty quick order, so I knew when I could rest my jaw, and they all knew when the swallow reflex was getting ready to kick in (not that they weren't diligent about the suction guns, but they all had their hands full with me yesterday).

I go back in on the 5th to have the other steel crown pried off to get a look at what's still under there. Stainless steel crowns are good for a year or so, this one (and the one that busted open over the tooth I just lost) has been in since I was 14.

I'm 34 now.

I was in the chair for nearly 2 hours. The thing that made the job difficult was he told me I had long roots that were curved.  So that required a boat load of bone grinding to expose the roots.  The bone had to be ground down because the back side of the tooth caused a large amount deterioration to the bone so grinding was in the works anyway.  The good news is the rest of my teeth are OK fine.  The thing that got me all torqued up was I essentially had perfect teeth and this came out of the blue.  But the doc indicated that the tooth was cracked so it wasn't from neglect. 

Damn. I was lucky, and mine was from neglect. The crown split about two years ago, and I kept telling myself I'd find a dentist and get it fixed.

Then the tooth broke into three crowns and six or seven root segments.

This was my first time seeing this dentist, and the combination of painless extraction, state of the art technology being put to good use, and a mixture of pride/perfectionism in his work and passion about his science are the reasons I've been going back on such a regular basis and paying this kind of cash.

He raked out the socket with a spoon for a few minutes, and told me I'd just dodged the infection bullet. I'll be damned if he wasn't right. Didn't even need ibuprofen afterwards. Gum was a little sore, that's it.

Mind you, this was a secondary molar. From what you've said so far, I'm guessing yours was a bit more facial so the roots were probably a bit more convoluted.

Got tons of ibuprofen.  Also have some hydrocordone.  I have no desire to use the pain killers.  The ibuprofen seems to holding its own right now. I've been eating ibuprofen for a couple of weeks now.  Can't wait to stop taking it and the antibiotics.  Just wished the friggin bleeding would stop.  Just got to take it easy for a while.

Go up to the usual prescription dose if you need to, but I won't advocate going any further than that. You're probably already aware of the potential risks to your liver, and sometimes kidneys and/or pancreas. I've also heard lately that the binder doesn't necessarily help with digestive reactions to ibuprofen, so you might be better off getting the prescription itself if you need that much in one dose.

I ate some oxycodone when my molar shattered. Left me really groggy, but in too much agony to sleep. I'd stick to the ibuprofen.

Again: good luck, Bob.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2006, 11:46:56 PM »

Huh??  will you start to floss now HuhHuh       klc

What? Me worry?
KA1ZGC
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2006, 11:52:43 PM »

Huh??  will you start to floss now HuhHuh       klc

If that was aimed at me, the answer is yes.

If it wasn't, the answer is yes.

Badoom boom... thank you, I'm here all week!

--Thom
Keep Away One Zero Giggle Comedian
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2006, 08:40:22 AM »

Hey Thom,

That's good news that you're beyond the half way point.   I'm sure you don't enjoy dental work especially considering all the work you're having done but in the long run it will be worth it.  I haven't had much dental work in mouth.  I have no fillings. I do have  a crown from a front tooth that got broken when I was 8 years old which was crowned with a stainless.  I had that for 7 or 8 years before getting a porcelin crown.  But excluding exams and cleaning that has been the only dental work I've had in my mouth and I'm 46.  I was very surprised and distressed when he told me it had to come out considering the condition my teeth are in.  For the little work I'm having I don't like it much.  Especially the squealing and odor of that drill against the bone.

Well, I fared the night pretty good.  It seems the bleeding and oozing subsided substantially during the night.  I have a little today but I'm going to spend the day horizontal and keep the BP to a minimum and it should stop by then.  Pain is about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. It's gone away pretty fast.

I wasn't aware that ibuprofen can be potentially damaging to the liver and other organs.  I can't wait to get off of it then since I've been taking it continually for 3 weeks.  Hopefully today will be my last day for it.

From this point forward I have to let the area heal for several months and then go for another round of drilling and then an installation of an implant sometime in the late fall.

Good luck on the 5th.  You're not to far away from completing the work.  You're to young to lose your teeth.

Thanks for the advice and support.
Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015