The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:41:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Source Needed for Black HV Wire  (Read 6283 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: May 24, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »

I'm trying to locate a source for the thick, black wire used in high voltage circuits for big transmitters. Outside diameter is roughly the size of a pencil, thick insulation, reminds me of old spark plug wire. W2ILA told me that he found it in red, and I've seen yellow and (I think) blue also, but would prefer to find plain ol' black for a buzzardly project I have.

Someone once suggested a sign shop as a possible source (neon signs, etc) but the only one we had locally closed a number of years ago.

Any ideas? I only need maybe 8-10 feet, but would certainly get more if possible.

Thanks -

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 03:08:22 PM »

Todd,
I used this wire called Packard wire for my current project.  I believe it is spark plug wire with a stranded metal conductor.   I'd give you some but I think I used the last of what was given to me for my radio project.  It's a little thicker than a pencil but it is black.

Try NAPA.  I think they sell bulk spark plug wire so you maybe able to get the lengths you need.  And I think they sell 7mm and 8mm diameters too which is about pencil thickness.

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
2ZE
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 03:47:06 PM »

My local NAPA store still sells black spark plug wire by the spool. I bought a 100' for 30 bux.

Mike, 2ZE
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 04:19:39 PM »

Yup good old packard 440 wire, Belden makes it for Napa. Comes in 25 foot spools
All over my big rig
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 10:46:25 PM »

http://www.daburn.com/general.html#anchor1

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 07:11:58 PM »

You might try any place that makes or repairs neon signs

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:01:28 PM »

Hi Todd,

I use Packard 440 High Voltage Spark Plug wire or Prestolite High Voltage Spark Plug wire for all of my HV wiring. Any"older" auto parts store should have it in stock, or you can sometimes pick it up real cheap at vintage car swap meets, etc.  It usually runs at retail about $65.00 for a 100 foot roll, but I've seen auto parts stores sell it by the foot at around 6 cents/foot.  For terminal lugs for use with this wire, use the Panduit type PN10-14RX-L for 1/4" studs/screws; PN10-10R-L for no. 10 studs/screws; or PN-10-8R-L for no. 8 studs/screws; you can either solder the Packard wire directly to these terminal lugs, or use a standard Palladin crimp tool, just like Gates did 50 years ago! Newark Electronics sells these Panduit terminals right out of their catalog. These terminals have nylon sleeves that will not melt when heated with a 100W iron, and the solder flows very easily to both the Packard HV wire conductor and the terminal.

Good luck & 73,

Bruce, WA2OGS

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 10:33:52 AM »

Wowsers! Many, MANY thanks for the information, guys. Makes me feel much better because a.) I thought it looked a lot like spark plug wire and b.) now I know manufacturer names! This stuff is used atop a late 40s broadcast transmitter I'm slowly restoring, and will be one of the final steps to getting it back on the air. At some point in its life, a large, motor-driven Gates rheostat was added to the transmitter for power reduction, which required hacking into the wiring to the big square HV caps. Splicing it back together isn't an option not only because of aestetics, but also because the wire has hardened into rock-like form.

Good to see that Daburn is still around and kicking. I got one of their first catalogs years back, and promptly lost it. An excellent source for ceramic insulators as I recall.

73 and thanks again -

~ Todd  KA1KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 10:41:40 AM »

they will send you a new catalog if you ask nice .... klc

What? Me worry?
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:42:39 AM »

for real short length, try gutting a pic tube, (aka CRT)....

What? Me worry?
wb1aij
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 12:34:30 PM »

I have a spool of it that has to be at least 100 feet long. It is a many thin strand  wire about 16 gauge with thick, black, high voltage insulation. Very flexible. I would be happy to send you 15 or 20 feet of this stuff it it would help. No charge. Just send me your address.

Bob Tomlin
WB1AIJ
wb1ai@aol.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015