The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:59:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A nice collection of radios  (Read 12379 times)
N9NEO

« on: March 18, 2006, 06:35:58 PM »

http://members.cox.net/wa6mhz/

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 08:06:02 PM »

A few really nice pieces and LOADS of appliances!

I would unload the appliances on e-Pay and use the bux to acquire a few BC xmtrs and other real radios.

Miracle or not, glad to hear the fire didn't get all that stuff.

I don't know which would be worse -  living on the gulf coast and having to worry every year that a  hurricane would wipe me out, or living in that part of CA and worrying every year if a fire would wipe me out.  Of course here we have tornadoes...

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 08:50:51 PM »

Another black hole for radio equipment that will simply go away when the man is gone.  I sure hate the idea he hoards equipment and keeps others from enjoying the thrill of repairing, refurbishing and operating that stuff.

there are too many people liike that.  A guy in Denver has more Heath equipment (all he collects) than any of us collectively here has.  What a shame.  If I can't use it, it goes down the road to someone who will.  If I know they are simply collecting, I will take less from someone who will operate it.  I just did that with a 75A2.
N9NEO

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 11:32:10 PM »

Yes, a few nice pieces and some not as nice.

A good idea to send it down the road if you aint using it.  I don't have a collection myself.  A couple of high performance receivers and a couple of boatanchors and a few homebrew rigs.  It doesn't bother me that others horde stuff if that gives them pleasure.  I myself just don't expect to outlive the old lady and I don't want to saddle her with any headaches - like a basement full of radios that she would have no idea what to do with.  Just moving QTHs would be painfull at this point.  I've gone thru some of the not so collectable boatanchor receivers and given em to kids who I think might have some Ham radio potential.

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:17:28 PM »

I don't know Jim, I don't think his collection keeps others from obtaining those rigs... There isn't much "one of a kind" stuff in there that I can see... I mean how many people want old xtal controlled 2 meter FM radios?  Roll Eyes or crusty old HT's?
And Heath gear is as plentiful as water... tons of it listed on E-bay every day for not much money... I don't see anything wrong with a collector who doesn't use the stuff... Of course if he had several TMC GPR-92's of which only 110 were produced, I might be a little upset!  Grin Grin

Another black hole for radio equipment that will simply go away when the man is gone.  I sure hate the idea he hoards equipment and keeps others from enjoying the thrill of repairing, refurbishing and operating that stuff.

there are too many people liike that.  A guy in Denver has more Heath equipment (all he collects) than any of us collectively here has.  What a shame.  If I can't use it, it goes down the road to someone who will.  If I know they are simply collecting, I will take less from someone who will operate it.  I just did that with a 75A2.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 04:34:43 PM »

I'm not overly impressed by his collection. Yes, he has a lot but it looks more like a junk yard to me.  If he gave a wit about what he had the bottom radios wouldn't be taking the  beating from the weight of the upper gear.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 04:57:15 PM »

I'd put about 99% of it on epay and take the money and run.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 07:07:51 PM »

I'd put about 99% of it on epay and take the money and run.

If you would get much for all that!  I can't imagine saving stuff such as I saw on his site.  I would pull all the good parts and throw the chassis away.  I still don't like black holes of equipment like this one.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 07:29:12 PM »

The page calls it a museum. I call it a tragedy. Now, I don't care how many radios the guy owns. I own quite a few myself, but I don't stack them up like cord wood. That method of storage is stupid, in my opinion.
That being said, he can do what he wants, they are his. I just hope they don't fall over on someone some day.

(Just made a quick count of what is within reach - 20 receivers, 15 tranceivers, 8 transmitters plus all the speakers, scopes, meters and tuners.)

Bill KA8WTK
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 08:02:22 PM »

A person can call himself a chruch, open a hall for meetings and get tax exempt status too.  Wonder if this guy has?
wa2zdy
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 01:06:36 PM »

Ummmm . . .  I'm at a loss for words.  Some of the stuff is interesting but as others have said, nothing spectacular there.  I found it funny he restored that Heath monobander then threw it back on the pile!

Very bizarre is all I can say.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 02:39:57 PM »

That is even more intense than the "Vortex Joe Museum" Truely a massive collection!!

When a collection becomes that big it is questionable if it is fun anymore. You would have so many toys that you could never even begin to play with them all.

But you know the old saying: "What ever makes your boat float"

At least my wife has some idea what my junk is worth and wont be screwed over by some "widow chaser" when I crap out. After all she is my second set of eyes st festers.

And Furthermore......... I have made a pact with one of my most trusted ham friends that whichever one of us craps out first the other will help the others widow "liquidate" his junk for which the other will receive a "wetting of the beak"

All of us junk collectors worry about what will happen to our szht if we crap out, I know that mine will go to good homes and not be thrown out.

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 03:17:03 PM »

For many, it’s the thrill of the search and the ultimate acquisition. It has little to do with the actual “playing with” the rig or even it rarity.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 07:26:38 PM »

We've all seen cat ladies at one point or another when they drag them out after 50 cats (or more) take over a house or the lady goes to the hospital and the Humane Society does an "intervention."  Kinda like that isn't it?  Ten vintage radios are nice so 1000 are.  . . ?  73 de W1XAW
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 08:38:55 PM »

Hmmmm, no, not really...

We've all seen cat ladies at one point or another when they drag them out after 50 cats (or more) take over a house or the lady goes to the hospital and the Humane Society does an "intervention."  Kinda like that isn't it? 

* vinnie.jpg (46.23 KB, 300x324 - viewed 420 times.)
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 09:10:40 PM »

Waddya want from a guy who keeps a door from a Dodge van in his living room!!  Huh Huh
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 10:53:18 PM »

the dodge van door is really part of the cover fer the radio.......  klc

pS. when i was a jn i deliverd papers.... one lady had the cat sickness... one sunny winter day I went collecting for my money...  the sun glistened across the wood floor, the cold air rushed in, and I could see all the critters hopping on the floor, tryin ta get away from the cold..... it looked like poppy seeds bouncin among the cat shyte ......

What? Me worry?
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 07:34:25 PM »

That's too bad.... a direct result of man's neglect.....

Two words...... "spay" "neuter"

pS. when i was a jn i deliverd papers.... one lady had the cat sickness... one sunny winter day I went collecting for my money...  the sun glistened across the wood floor, the cold air rushed in, and I could see all the critters hopping on the floor, tryin ta get away from the cold..... it looked like poppy seeds bouncin among the cat shyte ......
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 09:57:35 PM »

...yes, But, she was in her 60's so I doubt it would have helped ......   klc

What? Me worry?
k7yoo

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 11:35:42 PM »

Looks like stuff left laying in the parking lot after Dayton--with a few minor exceptions.
If the SX101 & Pacemaker will pay off the mortgage I would guess that he carries a low balance! what a lucky guy!
At least the Pacemaker is in good company with the Eico Seven Drifty Three. These two vie for "worst radios of the century" honors.
w1guh
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »

Yea, you couldn't make one "good" one with  million bad ones.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 06:17:51 PM »

Yea, you're probably right..  Huh

...yes, But, she was in her 60's so I doubt it would have helped ......   klc
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 06:18:52 PM »

RF  ground plane!  Grin

the dodge van door is really part of the cover fer the radio.......  klc
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 03:38:54 PM »

Looks like stuff left laying in the parking lot after Dayton--with a few minor exceptions.

Skip - It's always been my dream to go sifting through the "remains" of the Dayton 'Fester! You couldn't and wouldn't want to bring everything home with you, but I bet there is some interesting stuff in their dumpsters!

I've exchanged a few emails with WA6MHZ, and I think his goal is to "collect" every 2M rig ever made. If it weren't for shipping costs we could have quite a swapfest!

I wonder if he uses anything on the air?

Best Regards,
                  Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2006, 04:03:07 PM »

Skip - It's always been my dream to go sifting through the "remains" of the Dayton 'Fester! You couldn't and wouldn't want to bring everything home with you, but I bet there is some interesting stuff in their dumpsters!

I've exchanged a few emails with WA6MHZ, and I think his goal is to "collect" every 2M rig ever made. If it weren't for shipping costs we could have quite a swapfest!

I wonder if he uses anything on the air?

Best Regards,
                  Joe Cro N3IBX

Ugh! I wouldn't touch anything in a Dayton dumpster with a 10 foot pole. Disgarded food, beer, soda, cardboard, paper, bees, electro junk, etc. It's a bad dream. You're not missing much.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015