The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:12:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3885 - No Contest  (Read 13739 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: March 05, 2006, 02:36:50 AM »

160 was noisy tonight due to T-storms in the midwest and TX/OK Panhandle, so I decided to try 75, despite the slopbucket DX contest.

I fired up on 3885 and called CQ several times, through contest QRM.  Finally, KE4LRL came back to my CQ, and we managed to keep in contact despite the SSB rubbish.  Then, John KN4ME joined us. We  continued the three-way until other stations started breaking in.  The AM QSO was maintained from about 0400 GMT to well past 0630.  Here is the list of stations worked:

N9KXA, WA5TEV, N4JOH, KN4ME, KE4LRL, WA4VAG, KA5KGM

I have heard obnoxious contests before, but this one has to take the cake.  The slopbuckets were working DX stations below 3800, but operating split frequency and transmitting above 3800.  The DX station below 3800 would designate a listening frequency above 3800, and the SSB contesters would dial their riceboxes to that frequency and start calling without listening on the frequency first to see if it was in use.

The entire band between 3800 and 3900 was filled with loudmouthed, distorted slopbuckets transmitting but not listening on their TX frequency.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 08:24:09 AM »

The entire band between 3800 and 3900 was filled with loudmouthed, distorted slopbuckets transmitting but not listening on their TX frequency.

sounds like everyday on 75m  Grin
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 08:43:50 AM »

Did you give anyone in your rountable a 5-9 sig report? Just wondering.
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 09:27:35 AM »

I have heard obnoxious contests before, but this one has to take the cake.  The slopbuckets were working DX stations below 3800, but operating split frequency and transmitting above 3800.  The DX station below 3800 would designate a listening frequency above 3800, and the SSB contesters would dial their riceboxes to that frequency and start calling without listening on the frequency first to see if it was in use.

You know, I've never quite understood how it was legal to listen on one freq and transmit on another.
Its legal of course, but seems to this ham that is poor practise as it uses twice the amount of spectrum required.
And how can you know that the freq you are transmitting on is clear and not being used by someone else.
I understand the DX station is waiting there, just seems wrong in principal.

Perhaps its time for the AM split net, listening on the outside speaker at 3872 and transmitting on 3885?

-BRuce
John Holotko

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 03:03:20 AM »

You know, I've never quite understood how it was legal to listen on one freq and transmit on another.
Its legal of course, but seems to this ham that is poor practise as it uses twice the amount of spectrum required.
And how can you know that the freq you are transmitting on is clear and not being used by someone else.
I understand the DX station is waiting there, just seems wrong in principal.

Perhaps its time for the AM split net, listening on the outside speaker at 3872 and transmitting on 3885?

-BRuce

Technically they are supposed to  check their transmit freq and make sure it's not in use BEFORE keying up and talking. Of couse hardly any of them actually do this.

For me I could never understand the thrill of contesting. I guess for some guys it's the ultimate thrill but I just don't get it.  Shortly after I got my  license I operated an hf ssb station at a contest setup for a local radio club. After 15 minutes of just making contacts giving reports and moving  on to the next station I was bored stiff. I politely asked for someone to take my place at the mic and I left.  I just could never comprehend the thrill of contesting. To me it's plain boring. I prefer a QSO where  I converse with other stations and talk about something.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 07:43:27 AM »

For me I could never understand the thrill of contesting. I guess for some guys it's the ultimate thrill but I just don't get it.  Shortly after I got my  license I operated an hf ssb station at a contest setup for a local radio club. After 15 minutes of just making contacts giving reports and moving  on to the next station I was bored stiff. I politely asked for someone to take my place at the mic and I left.  I just could never comprehend the thrill of contesting. To me it's plain boring. I prefer a QSO where  I converse with other stations and talk about something.

I view contesters as the "sluts" of the amateur radio world.
Its wham, bam, sometimes you don't even get a name, and they are off to another "contact".
Just another notch in the bedpost, err, note in the log

Some people thrive on that, its just not for me.
I really don't care if you contest, just don't fornicate near me.  Grin
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 08:22:26 AM »

I view contesters as the "sluts" of the amateur radio world.
Its wham, bam, sometimes you don't even get a name, and they are off to another "contact".
Just another notch in the bedpost, err, note in the log

Some people thrive on that, its just not for me.
I really don't care if you contest, just don't fornicate near me.  Grin

Jus hoein their  Tongue asses all over town. Grin Grin Grin Ha Ha good one Bruce

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
ve6pg

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 08:49:45 AM »

..OUR AM GROUP HANG OUT ON 3725...SOME MEATHEAD STARTED CALLING CQ CONTEST,ABOUT 2KC ABOVE US...HE IS A CANADIAN,AND WAS LISTENING UP THE BAND,SOMEWHERE...HE DID NOT CHECK TO SEE IF ANYONE WAS ON 3725,OR THEREABOUTS. WHEN HE CHECKED(LISTENED) TO HIS TX FREQ,THE GUY WENT NUTS,BECAUSE WE WERE NEAR HIS TX FREQ....WE EXPLAINED THAT OUR QSO HAD BEEN GOING ON FER OVER AN HOUR BEFORE HE SHOWED UP,BUT THEN WE GOT THIS WRATH FROM HIM,CLAIMING AM IS ILLEGAL,IN THIS PART OF THE BAND..WE KINDLY TOLD HIM,THAT 'PHONE OPERATION IN CANADA IS NOT LIMITED TO SUB BANDS...WE/HE CAN OPERATE 'PHONE FROM 3500-4000KC,BUT HE STILL WAS'NT CONVINCED...APPARENTLY HE IS CALLING INDUSTRY CANADA TODAY,TO LAY COMPLAINTS AGAINST ME,AND MY FELLOW AM OPERATORS.....TIM....SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 09:51:14 AM »

APPARENTLY HE IS CALLING INDUSTRY CANADA TODAY,TO LAY COMPLAINTS AGAINST ME,AND MY FELLOW AM OPERATOR

Geez, Tim, times are tough all over, ain't they ?

You ought to hook him up with the non-linear gentleman we encounter around 3825Kc from time to time.

They'd be a pair.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »

I will be writing a letter to the ARRL contest manager complaining about continuing and deliberate interference last night on 3825 by K3OOO.  It was so bad I couldn't copy any of the people I was in QSO with when he came on.  This idiot was running split 3693 listening, and came on and said "Is the frequency in use CQ corntest" etc.  Didn't even frigging listen.

Violation of the rules during a contest automatically disqualifies the entrant.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 12:13:42 PM »

John are you sure you were listening to K3OOO ?
Maybe the boyfriend is a Radio Jerk ?
Or maybe her Old Man is pirating the girl's call ?

-----
Per Mark's suggestion I downloaded her and her boyfriend's video.

I've got shoes that are older than her.
From her QRZ.com profile:

Hey there! My name is Sara Grace and I am 15 years old from the little town of Wind Gap, Pennsylvania. Pictured is myself and my boyfriend Trevor, W7TDC from prom in Portland, Oregon. Smiley

Previously:   KB3CLQ
Coordinates:   40.828654     -75.309757
State:   Pennsylvania
County:   Northampton
Grid:   FN20it
Area Code:   610
GMT Offset:   -5
Time Zone:   Eastern
Has DST?:   Y
Born:   1990

June 2005:
I'm moving to Pennsylvania and living with my girlfriends family for the summer...

Feb 2006

Today we had a big snow storm here in Pennsylvania, as you probably heard. We got about 8-12" here at the K3OO/K3OOO QTH. I spent the morning shoveling the sidewalk and snow-blowing the driveway. It was great! I wish we got this kind of snow in Oregon.
Well, I'll try to update this a little more often...untill next time...73's!

WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 02:46:12 PM »

coordinates tight by tight
KA1ZGC
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 04:21:08 PM »

Oh, too funny! KB3CLQ! Remember Lee, (formerly) KB2CLQ? Wasn't he about 15 when he got licensed?

Born 1990? Damn. She's one year older than my license.

She sure is a cutie, but notice that her boyfriend has the exact same terrified face in both pictures? Can you say "domesticated"?

Not that that's a bad thing...  Wink

--Thom
Kinky Astronaut One Zero Gravity Cunnilingus
k3zrf

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 04:54:10 PM »

I will be writing a letter to the ARRL contest manager complaining about continuing and deliberate interference last night on 3825 by K3OOO.  It was so bad I couldn't copy any of the people I was in QSO with when he came on.  This idiot was running split 3693 listening, and came on and said "Is the frequency in use CQ corntest" etc.  Didn't even frigging listen.

Violation of the rules during a contest automatically disqualifies the entrant.

Yep, certainly wiped out the qso...it was like the flu hitting out of left field. One minute John you were the channel master, the next rudeness and inconsideration. I was running full strap and they couldn't hear me.....only sez they're running too much power.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 05:25:18 PM »

-----

Hey there! My name is Sara Grace and I am 15 years old from the little town of Wind Gap, Pennsylvania. Pictured is myself and my boyfriend Trevor, W7TDC from prom in Portland, Oregon. Smiley

June 2005:
I'm moving to Pennsylvania and living with my girlfriends family for the summer...

Feb 2006

Today we had a big snow storm here in Pennsylvania, as you probably heard. We got about 8-12" here at the K3OO/K3OOO QTH. I spent the morning shoveling the sidewalk and snow-blowing the driveway. It was great! I wish we got this kind of snow in Oregon.

Same guy with the same call did the same thing on 160 a few weeks back. IBX should remember him well. He probably has a bunch of awards with his call so he is hunting for new ones with his daughter's callsign now. He does have a receiver. Claims that a normal distance is 1.5 kcs form existing activity.
k3zrf

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 05:33:36 PM »

I looked up the call and followed to posted URL. Just be patient watching to about halfway thru when the 'contestors' are getting greedy. Ragchewers beware.

http://fp8.adhost.com/icomamerica/IRN_2_1_of_3.wmv

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 07:35:32 PM »

Paul, I am 100% positive it was K3OOO.  And that dude was AT LEAST 20 dB above Dave ZRF, and he STRAPS in here.

I wrote her an email about the knucklehead that was using her call.

What's on that video is EXACTLY what that dude did - "IS THE FREQUENCY IN USE CQ CONTEST".

These guys in that video are operating W1AW and they're yelling about stomping out ragchewers!?!  What a fine, fine representation of the ARRL and the Amateur's Code.

I shall add a note to the ARRL contest manager about how highly the ARRL OFFICIALLY appears to value non-contesters.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W9LBB
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 09:12:05 PM »

Just checked out the video...  and once again I KNOW that I was RIGHT to resign
from the ARRL years ago.

"Stomping Rag Chewers" indeed...   Angry

And THIS butthole is supposed to be a SPOKESMAN for ham radio???

Him, AND the ARRL, can kiss me where the skin turns pink & stinky!   Angry

...and the fact that the League has allowed Icom to produce this trash at W1AW
just reinforces my long held opinion that ARRL is, like Congress, for sale to the
highest bidder.

Gawd help the NEXT contester that tries to get me to move off of a frequency!

Mr. T.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 09:28:46 PM »

I thought it was WW3W or something like that.
John Holotko

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 09:59:52 PM »

-----

June 2005:

Feb 2006

Same guy with the same call did the same thing on 160 a few weeks back. IBX should remember him well. He probably has a bunch of awards with his call so he is hunting for new ones with his daughter's callsign now. He does have a receiver. Claims that a normal distance is 1.5 kcs form existing activity.

In other words daddy gets ticket for daughter.  Daddy is heard on the air often during contests, in all his rudeness but daughter never toughes radio. How cute.

John Holotko

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 10:09:54 PM »

Just checked out the video...  and once again I KNOW that I was RIGHT to resign
from the ARRL years ago.

"Stomping Rag Chewers" indeed...   Angry

And THIS butthole is supposed to be a SPOKESMAN for ham radio???

Him, AND the ARRL, can kiss me where the skin turns pink & stinky!   Angry

...and the fact that the League has allowed Icom to produce this trash at W1AW
just reinforces my long held opinion that ARRL is, like Congress, for sale to the
highest bidder.

Gawd help the NEXT contester that tries to get me to move off of a frequency!

Mr. T.

Those peoploe are not hams. They are advertizers for Icom. They're job is to sell hammie radio stuff for Icom. That's what keeps  the arrl going.  I'll bet thqe girl  licensed as K3OOO never operattes. One of those deals. daddy gets daughter a license. daddy operates under daughters call.
Her little schpiel on qrz.com sounds kinda coached.

W2JBL

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 01:05:36 AM »

75 AM was no fun for me Friday and Saturday night thanks to the contest, whatever contest it was this time. Friday night i was about jammed off the air by these weenies. i took the trouble to get on SSB and actually call a bunch of them just to make sure they were (not) monitoring their transmit frequency. so, here's the 3885 Contester's Dumbass Hall of Shame for Friday March 3 2006: NN2W, K1TTT, W3MF, AA1K, K0BJ, KB1JFG, N4AB, K4SSU, N3UM, and the coveted Contest Dumbass Of the Year goes to N2MM for his relentless QRM of 1885 during the CQ WW 160 Meter Contest on 2-25-06. thanks guys (and gals) for your supreme ignorance, rude and arrogant operating, and overall lack of ethics in operating during the contest.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 07:17:03 PM »

Maybe next time we should scan the low end of the band and find the station down below 3750 who is listening on 3885, and try some strapping "AMers on CW" activity.  Remember the DX station is not  listening on his frequency either.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015