The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:26:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IT WAS PETE !!!  (Read 6813 times)
WA3VJB
« on: January 30, 2006, 09:43:45 AM »

Pete was apparently a key source for the ARRL as their volunteer leadership struggled to represent us in their bandwidth scheme.

We have not heard until recently that they talked with ANYONE from the AM Community.

Pete has now acknowledged he's the one.

So Pete, what exactly did you say?
How does the Petition from the group in Newington differ?

Keen to learn.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 06:01:12 PM »

Pete was apparently a key source for the ARRL as their volunteer leadership struggled to represent us in their bandwidth scheme.

We have not heard until recently that they talked with ANYONE from the AM Community.

Pete has now acknowledged he's the one.

So Pete, what exactly did you say?
How does the Petition from the group in Newington differ?

Keen to learn.

I’m not sure where you’ve been over the last several years, but I’ve mentioned this discussion with my Director on the bandwidth proposal on a number of occasions in various posts since 2004. I’m not all that ambitious to go back into the archives to find all of them, but here’s a mention in a thread in October 2005. It's close to the end of the thread.
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=5854.0

I do recall that he mentioned on one our early discussions 6KHz AM bandwidth, similar to what some of the Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu rigs are running AM at. I told him that would never fly with the majority of the AM members. Several months later he indicated they settled on a 9 KHz bandwidth. I indicated die-hard AM operators probably still would not accept it.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 07:16:26 PM »

Pete, it's not that you discussed it with your director -- it's that you have emerged as the leading source of "AM sentiment" that they could claim they consulted from. Do you feel comfortable with that role? I sure wouldn't, and in fact, when two of the Atlantic Division candidates (the ones who were still allowed to run) came up to us at Gaithersburg, someone pushed them my way for a chat.

I immediately refused to be "the" representative, and spent a great deal of time trying to obtain their committment to talk with a variety of us within their region to form the basis of any support the Atlantic region of the ARRL should offer the AM Community.

I have never heard anything from them since, not even a response to emails I sent to both of them after what was, by all accounts, a cordial but determined exchange.

So, here's the question to follow what I would have done if I were in your shoes -- did you suggest to your Director that he and the others really needed to talk to a number of us before uttering ANYTHING in their threatened petition that had to do with AM ?

Did they promise to do so ?

Quite seriously, you're the guy they can claim they collectively got their information from when they say they "included" AMers.

I know that when I earlier talked with Haynie (right after Minutes 63 and 64 were published) and he asked me what I thought a suitable AM bandwidth would be, I told him it should be exactly as it is now -- scaleable to conditions.  You see how far that got.

Anyway, no hard feelings, please know. 
I think you were set up, just as Haynie tried to set me up into providing "a number" they could then take without the necessary context.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 07:15:14 AM »

You could just as well be that mysterious source, Paul, having 'consulted' at length with a couple of ARRL dudes at the Gaithersburg hamfest.  Anyone know for sure who they're citing as their 'source' in the AM community?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 01:18:16 PM »

I moved your first two lines down into the body of your text to provide a more uniform response.

and in fact, when two of the Atlantic Division candidates (the ones who were still allowed to run) came up to us at Gaithersburg, someone pushed them my way for a chat.

I immediately refused to be "the" representative, and spent a great deal of time trying to obtain their committment to talk with a variety of us within their region to form the basis of any support the Atlantic region of the ARRL should offer the AM Community.

I have never heard anything from them since, not even a response to emails I sent to both of them after what was, by all accounts, a cordial but determined exchange.

Seems you always fail to get a response from your Directors. Maybe, it’s the approach.

Pete, it's not that you discussed it with your director -- it's that you have emerged as the leading source of "AM sentiment" that they could claim they consulted from. Do you feel comfortable with that role? I sure wouldn't,
So, here's the question to follow what I would have done if I were in your shoes -- did you suggest to your Director that he and the others really needed to talk to a number of us before uttering ANYTHING in their threatened petition that had to do with AM ?

Did they promise to do so ?

I’m sure he talked to many people in his travels. I have no idea how many more AM’ers he may have talked to. There are always a number of them at hamfests I attend.

Quite seriously, you're the guy they can claim they collectively got their information from when they say they "included" AMers.

Why should this bother me? As I said previously in past threads over the last two years, if you did the research, I have no problem with a 9 KHz max. AM bandwidth.

I know that when I earlier talked with Haynie (right after Minutes 63 and 64 were published) and he asked me what I thought a suitable AM bandwidth would be, I told him it should be exactly as it is now -- scaleable to conditions.  You see how far that got.

Anyway, no hard feelings, please know. 
I think you were set up, just as Haynie tried to set me up into providing "a number" they could then take without the necessary context.

Yes Paul, it’s probably another ARRL conspiracy conjured up by the “back room boys” to shove a knife into the backs of all AM’ers who don’t walk the party line. Personally, I think it’s too much “bad” beer that’s causing AM paranoia to set in.
Or, maybe it's this:
Male menopause involves the hormonal, physiological and chemical changes that occur in all men generally between the ages of 40 and 55. It is a physical condition with psychological, interpersonal, social and spiritual dimensions.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 01:38:39 PM »

Nah, it's not the approach, Pete. I have been nice.
A long time ago I was nice to them. I remember it well.
I was even nice to the two political candidates John shoved at me, even though they were of the ruling party.
Matter of fact, I was nice to Sumner himself during a phone call in November seeking comment that they had filed their Petition.

Yet, dissent is not nice to them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015