The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:07:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRN on 75m?  (Read 2461 times)
WB3JOK

« on: January 29, 2006, 07:13:12 PM »

I recently retuned my 8 ft. loop to 75 meters and notice some very annoying, cyclic interference. It's barely audible during the day, but S8-9 at night... a raucous buzz like a furnace burner, on for about 30 sec., a "blip" off, a few seconds more on, then off for 1.5 to 2 minutes, all the way across 3.5-4 MHz. It wipes out all but the strongest signals during the "on" time.

My temporary QTH is Presque Isle, Maine and wonder if other 75m operators in New England are hearing this. If it was the furnace in one of the neighboring houses, I'd expect to hear it at equal strength all the time. (is this a correct assumption)? I would think the ground wave signal would be there just as strong during the day. But it's awfully strong to be a hundred miles away. Anyone in Maine hearing it?

Also, I was listening to the gang on 3825 this weekend and W1IA was coming in really loud here (25+ over 9). I'd have said hello but my AM boatanchor stuff is all in Missouri and I just have the HW-101 here - would it be rude to say 73's using SSB?

-Charles

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 09:14:28 PM »

Huh try clip leads accross the balunced mudulator???        klc

What? Me worry?
W2JBL

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:04:44 AM »

check out the HW101/SB102 AM mods elsewhere on this site. great AM on the cheap. best done with a seperate station receiver, but if you can't do that, switch the filter back in manually for receive. sounds damn good on sideband after the mods too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015