The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:53:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM HF frequencies.  (Read 9707 times)
ki4kgw
« on: January 28, 2006, 10:47:16 PM »

Hi, Im new to the forum and pretty knew to the hobby. I got my ticket in May of '05 and upgraded to general in October. Anyway, I'm interested in operating some AM, and was wondering what some of the frequencies/frequency ranges the HF AM activity is on. Thanx a bunch!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 11:00:06 PM »

Hi Jesse!

Well, from  North Carolina you have lots of opportunities to work both the southern AMers and the Northeast crowd.

Generally, you will find lots of AM activity between 3870 - 3890 with much centered on 3880-3885. Also look down around 3825 on weekends during the late afternoons and sometimes at night.

On 160M look for AM on the 1885, 1890 and 1940 areas. 

40M has activity centered around 7290.  20M around 14.286 when the band is open.

At night there is lots of AM action on 3885 and 1885.  During the day, 3885 and 7290 can be active.

What kind of rig and antenna are you going to be running?  I would suggest breaking into an ongoing QSO and telling the guys you are new. They can answer your questions and you will make friends easily.

Also, check out some of the articles on AM under "East Coast Sound" :

http://amfone.net/ECSound/

Do some posting of your results here.

73 and good luck!

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 11:04:06 PM »

40 METERS....7205 WEEKDAYS AND 7280 - 7295 ANYTIME INTO THE AFTERNOON / LATE EVENING

75 METERS....3825 UP TO AROUND 3890...NUMEROUS STATIONS BETWEEN 3870 AND 3890

160 METERS...1885, 1930, 1945, 1985 AND POINTS IN BETWEEN

20 METERS....14286

WELCOME TO AM
ki4kgw
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 11:11:59 PM »

Guess I should have let you know where I was operating from.....great state of North Carolina.

My station is a Icom 706MKIIG without an amp (which unfortunately doesnt run as much power on AM as it does on SSB or CW)  with dipoles cut for 80, 40, 20, 17, and 12M up about 35 feet.

Thanx for all the info look foward to trying the AM mode.  All my HF so far work has been on SSB but i hope to be able to utilize CW and AM.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 07:40:53 AM »

Hi Jesse,
Welcome to amateur radio, the AM Forum and the AM Mode.  Listen, dive in and have fun. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 09:22:10 AM »

Guess I should have let you know where I was operating from.....great state of North Carolina.

My station is a Icom 706MKIIG without an amp (which unfortunately doesnt run as much power on AM as it does on SSB or CW)  with dipoles cut for 80, 40, 20, 17, and 12M up about 35 feet.

Thanx for all the info look foward to trying the AM mode.  All my HF so far work has been on SSB but i hope to be able to utilize CW and AM.

Welcome to the hobby Jesse and to the AM mode!
Glad you stumbled across the AM Fone site, they guys here are great and are always willing to answer questions and help out.

As far as nets, as others have already pointed out, I'd like to add yet another link.
Try --> http://amwindow.org/freq.htm there is also a link at the bottom of this page for addtional nets.

As for the 706, I own a 706 and its QRP brother the 703.
Both will sound fine on AM if you run with the speech compressor off and back the audio way down.
I found the settings which work well for SSB do not work on AM, too much audio drive.
I'd start with about 1/2 of the mic gain you normally run on SSB and slowly advance it from there.
It's difficult to critically listen to your own audio when transmtting, so perhaps have a friend listen on another RX.

The 25 watt output of the 706 is light, but does work well in good band conditions.
A few weeks back a number of us here in the Northeast were in a roundtable on 75 making contacts with as little as 1 watt of AM!

You're on the right track with your antenna selection.
A lesson which I learned early on is that is not so much the power output as it is the antenna.
When I first got on the air I used a Icom 765, Icom 2KL amp and a Cushcraft R7 vertical.
Couldn't understand why I had such a hard time hearing and being heard.
A great antenna will make up for low power output, and you'll hear better.
I'm a advocate for wire antennas, esp. for the bands in which I do most of my AM ops.
As as my elmer used to say, "the more wire the better".

Let the guys know when you are on some weekend afternoon and we can listen for you.
The band is usually quite then and its easy to make contacts.

73 Bruce W1UJR
www.w1ujr.com
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 09:43:26 AM »

Hi Jesse;

Welcome to AM... This website and the posted links are a goldmine of information about AM.

I am also located in North Carolina, Winston Salem. I just moved here 3 months ago. My station isn't setup yet but I'm hoping to have it up and running soon. I'll look forward to working you on AM when I get running again. Depending on where you're located, maybe we can meet in person sometime.

I know there's a hamfest coming up in Charlotte in March...

Don't be afraid to post your questions about AM here on the board.

John Holotko

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 04:50:02 PM »

Don't forget 10 meters around 29.000mc when the band is open of course.  I also worked some AM up on 15 meters a long time ago. I think I mention something about that on my web page.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
ki4kgw
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 09:40:08 PM »

<<<<<As for the 706, I own a 706 and its QRP brother the 703.
Both will sound fine on AM if you run with the speech compressor off and back the audio way down.
I found the settings which work well for SSB do not work on AM, too much audio drive.
I'd start with about 1/2 of the mic gain you normally run on SSB and slowly advance it from there.
It's difficult to critically listen to your own audio when transmtting, so perhaps have a friend listen on another RX.>>>>>

Good to know.  I love the sound of a pure, clean AM signal.  Music to my ears!

Thanx for all the info.  You guys really are helpfull! I got a few minutes right now so im gonna fire up the 706.
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 08:48:49 AM »

Hi Jesse! Congrats on the upgrade and welcome to AM! I am in NC as well (Reidsville), and Tom K1JJ is right, the state is in the perfect location to work the northeast and southeast AM crowds equally well. Hope to run into you on the bands soon!
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 09:36:45 AM »

Jesse I would like to introduce you to the Southeastern AM Radio Club (SAMRC).

The president is Andy Howard, WA4KCY at Carrollton, Georgia.
They have a Tuesday evening gathering on 3880 using the SAMRC club call, W4AMI.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=76009&ck=

Please check in -- you'll have a lot of great company, about 180 members.

http://72.9.241.50/~wa4kcy/page50.htm
W9LBB
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 04:08:39 PM »

Hi, Im new to the forum and pretty knew to the hobby. I got my ticket in May of '05 and upgraded to general in October. Anyway, I'm interested in operating some AM, and was wondering what some of the frequencies/frequency ranges the HF AM activity is on. Thanx a bunch!

WELCOME TO THE MONKEY HOUSE! You'll enjoy it!   Smiley

Just be advised...  AM operation is going to take something that most other modes DON'T,
namely BRAINS, and the urge to experiment and build equipment.

These days, when it breaks you can't box it up and send it to the Ricebox Service Center
of your choice!   Wink

If you can get up a decent antenna for it, I'd strongly suggest that you try out 160 meters
better known as "The Gentleman's Band". It's a hangout for a LOT of GREAT people, who
also happen to be very knowledgable for the most part.

Once again, Welcome to AM!

73's,

Tom "Mr. T." Adams, W9LBB
Sun Prairie, WI
AMI #811

David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 10:49:21 PM »

Is there an accepted 17m AM calling frequency?
Is there ever any AM worked on 17m?

David, K3TUE
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 11:08:54 PM »

Haven't heard of any 17m AM frequency....

Pretty small band , with only 58 khz for phone....

Still, as we know, phone is phone.....

Not sure............ Undecided

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »

Is there an accepted 17m AM calling frequency?
Is there ever any AM worked on 17m?

FWIW, the 17 meter calling frequency is listed as 18.150 in the url below but I've never heard an AM QSO there.   

http://amwindow.org/freq.htm

--- Post No Bills ---
WA3VJB
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 05:17:34 AM »

I worked the TimTron there once,  18.150, using the T-368 and a makeshift dipole at 20 feet.
Just to say I had.  Condx felt like 20 meters.  Daytime contact. 
We weren't accosted or anything, maybe it is worth revisiting.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 07:25:59 AM »

interesting thought, trying AM on some of the less-used bands. 15 and 17 meters.  I've never heard much there except during corntesting.  Roll Eyes

maybe it's time to explore unknown territory...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015