The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:34:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I have not been on the radio the last few days  (Read 13392 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 12:41:31 PM »

Here's an update on Catherine's  condition.  She is just going into surgery now, to have two of three damaged  ligaments  repaired.  They will have to wait a few weeks to fix the third one, depending on what they find when they open up the knee.  The pelvic fractures will heal on their own without intervention, and she had no known internal orgain damage.  She may get to come home in a few more days.

Of the three girls injured, it now looks  like Catherine's injuries were the least severe of all.

I have been coming home late at night to take care of things around here, and going back to Nashville the next day,  but have taken no time to turn on the computer or radio until just now, to get on line and take care of some insurance matters.  My wife was given a medical  leave of absence and has been staying with her round the clock, and  luckily, Catherine's brother lives 5 minutes away from Vanderbilt.

Hopefully she will be able to get back to school and attend classes by next week.  The track team coach indicated that the university could arrange a van to transport the injured girls to their classes, since the campus is large and the buildings are spread out, and  have someone to keep an eye on them once they are  settled back in.

The driver of the vehicle that caused the accident left the scene, and so far has not been apprehended.  He was descrided as a black male driving a grey or silvery late model SUV.  According to the police report, the woman who actually hit the girls and ran over them was not at fault, since she lost control trying to avoid the other car that pulled out in front of her.

That brings up the question of  liability of the driver, whether or not the woman's insurance company will cover expenses, since the police report clears her of any fault, and the douche-bag driving the other car hit and ran.  I don't think the girls or anyone in their family should be hit up for a penny.

Luckily we have good medical insurance.  The LifeFlight helicopter ride alone is expected to cost about $11,000.  I wouldn't be surprised to see her total bill approach $100k with the extended stay at a  world-class facility like Vanderbilt, and the surgeons and other personnel who will be due payment for their services.

Will keep you posted as time permits.

Thanks for all the expressions concern and encouragement.

Don

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 08:05:47 PM »

So to hear about this Don. My best wishes for a speedy recovery. Glad to see there is some "good news" too. The radios and the rest of us slobs will still be around when the time is right for you to return.

Hang in there.
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 03:10:27 AM »

[*Thread bump*] Grin

Anything new?  How is Catherine?

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006, 03:39:43 AM »

[*Thread bump*] Grin

Anything new?  How is Catherine?

She is improving after knee surgery that reattached 3 torn ligaments.  No treatment was required for the cracked pelvic bone.  Her sore jaw and teeth persisted, so she saw her dentist, who referred her to an orthodontic surgeon.  CT scans and x-rays showed her jaw broken in 2 places.  Right now she has braces and her jaw is practically wired shut.  She will have to keep this on for about a month, and maintain liquid diet.

She plans to return to university next week.  She will be on a regimen of physical therapy for a while.

One of the other girls is back in school, but the other is still at a rehab facility.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2006, 07:46:50 AM »

Hi Don:

Thanks for the updates.

I continue to pray she does well.

I hope y'all can return to normal life soon.

Take care,
Dan
W1DAN
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2006, 08:05:58 PM »

Our thoughts are with you and Catherine
Carl and Anne

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2006, 08:46:38 PM »

I'm glad that she's doing better.  My thoughts and prayers are with her [and the other girls as well] for a continued fully recovery. Wink

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 09:28:19 PM »

Just saw this, Don. Here's hoping for a full recovery and our best wishes for you all.
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 10:40:21 PM »

Don,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your daughter, and ALL of your family..

Jeff W2NBC

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2006, 10:02:22 AM »

Don,
      I just came across your thread or I would have responded sooner. My prayers are out to your daughter that she'll recover and be back to her normal self in record time.

Very Best Regards,
                          Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015