The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:48:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electroplating tank coils and other RF things  (Read 10694 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: January 18, 2006, 03:59:06 PM »

Anyone ever try the electroplating compounds that Antique Electronic Supply sells?  I was wondering if they work good or if I'd just be wasting money plating tank coils and whatever else.  Would silver plating make any performance difference?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »

Yeah, Ive used them, and they work well.  The work has to be clean but the process is very easy - just brush the stuff on with the special brush that's hooked to a battery.

I've restored switch contacts etc wtih this, never done a coil.  I can't say if it would make a difference or not.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 05:57:11 PM »

Try this Bob ,

I have used this stuff before and it works just fine.

It is called Cool Amp.

Here is the link

http://www.cool-amp.com/

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:52:35 PM »

WOW, $145.00.  Got any to share?
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »

It goes a long way and get a price for silver plating. It does save you money in the long run.

G - The INR

SWLR-RNŲ54
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:30:50 PM »

real men run silver plated tank coils. camon

It would be cool for someone local to have a process to take care of all the local needs. I've bugged my brother for years to do some plating since he is a gold smith.
He just told me they just got a small tank but don't know what it does yet.
I need to pay him a visit and check it out.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:39:45 PM »

I once ran some tests on 10M  comparing copper tubing and silver plated tubing for the final tank coil. I ran them both at 2KW for a few minutes and measured the heat.  The best I could estimate, the silver plating on 10M was about 25% more efficient for skin effect/ less heat. On 160 or 75M the difference would probably be hardly noticable.  I'll bet the cross over point is somewhere between 40 and 20M.

I've heard good things about the rub-on silver plating process from the guys on the Amps reflector.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:46:14 PM »

The AES kit is cheap, about $15 IIRC, and easy to apply.  It's pretty much like painting on silver.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 09:51:03 PM »

The AES kit is cheap, about $15 IIRC, and easy to apply.  It's pretty much like painting on silver.

73 John

I gotta pick some up too.

John, does that kit use a battery for an electro process?  I think electro plating wud make a better penetration  vs: just painting alone.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 11:21:37 PM »

Cool Amp does not paint on thou. It is a powder and it attaches itself thru static and then you burnish it.

I bought the $50.00 bottle two years ago and did three tank coils and still have some left. it looks just like silver plating be cause it is silver you are plating the surface with. Good stuff and you don't have to send out the stuff. I think K1KBW uses it too.

John where would I find the AES stuff, I went to the site and could not locate it? I love checking out that kind neat stuff.

G - The INR

SWLR-RNŲ54
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 03:30:42 AM »

Gary,

Go to    https://secure.tubesandmore.com/

In left column go to "Radio Parts And Restoration"

Click that

and then click "electroplating".

They have compounds for brass, nickel, and silver along with the brush.

Works well, but don't eat Buffalo Wings or BBQ while plating that tank coil. Keep it clean, don't handle with bare hands as oil on your fingers can screw it up.

Best book I've found around on plating is "The Electroplaters handbook" by C.W. Ammen. A good starting place if you wish to plate larger stuff (or plate bugs, leaves and assorted things like that). Runs through step by step cleaning, bright dips for various metals, and the mixes for about everthing, including galvanizing using just electrochemical potential. It also lists the best voltages for various mixes, wrong voltage can give a dull plate. I can get all the chemicals locally (from Colorado Scientific), don't know about shipping some of this stuff, that could be a problem. I doubt they will ship a gallon of concentrated H2SO4, it comes in a glass container.

The AES stuff is fine for doing the occasional small object.

73, Marty WB2RJR

AMI #20, GACW #786
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 04:45:50 AM »

Try this Bob ,

I have used this stuff before and it works just fine.

It is called Cool Amp.

Here is the link

http://www.cool-amp.com/

Thanks Gary.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 06:29:51 AM »

Some plating compounds contain complex cyanide salts. Not sure if the stuff AES sells does. Reletively  harmless if/when used and handled  properly, i.e. use gloves, use ventilation, avoid breathing vapours, and all that stuff.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 06:55:50 AM »

Tom, yes it does use a battery (or a low voltage PS).  The brush has a special little ridge on it that provides contact to the bristles when you're brushing the stuff on.  It is true electroplating.

The only issue I could see with a tank coil is making sure you get total coverage, esp. between turns.  It would prolly be better and easier to plate the wire afore you wind the coil.

73 John

WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 12:35:27 PM »

I was once told a good silver job requires a flash of nickle first. My 1978 tank coil still looks good without it though. Tom Vu I did a couple tank coils in the la Pointe midevil plating room. Remember the smell?Huh/
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 12:47:45 PM »

Tnx for the info, John.

Yes, Franz, Lahunt. I remember the signs of EPA violations down there before there were such things as EPA violations...  Roll Eyes

They used to go through many many pounds of raw silver bars.

T

W4LTM
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 01:43:59 PM »

Hi gang,

Interesting this topic would come up now.

I have been looking for Silver Plate options for a week or so.  I have a NYE Viking MB-V-A Transmatch that the plating on the inductor roller/wheel has come off.  The coil itself looks good though.  I was hoping to get a replacement wheel from NYE, but they stopped making these things a couple of years ago.

You think these home plating jobs will last on this roller?

Thanks,
Matt
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 04:24:03 PM »

Matt,
Thanks for jogging my memory.  I discovered a couple of weeks ago a couple of roller inductors I had stashed away sometime ago after purchasing them from a fester. They were and still are ratty looking but since finding them I have something else to silver plate if cleaing them up doesn't help.

Just ordered two silver plating kits from AES.

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 04:27:19 PM »

Did a search for chrome plating kits.  I want to chrome some parts in the 813 rig while I'm at it and maybe give it that McIntosh look.

Found this interesting website:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/index.html

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W4LTM
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 05:57:12 PM »

Come on Bob,

Go for the Gold Plating!  Between your triple chrome plating and nice shiny gold you could start a fashion trend.

A year from now and we will be hearing...

"That's fine business Jim, but wait till you see my triple chrome plated Viking II.  The gold plated knobs really make this transmitter stand out from the rest of my gear..."

Seriously, thanks for the other link.  I was going to order the AES kit, but I want to look at that new place in a bit more detail.

Matt
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 06:02:05 PM »

Matt,
Ah! the ole double dog dare.  Don't temp me to go gold.... I might go for the challenge   Grin  I look at Gary's E-rig and I drool.  I might have to show him up.

Yeah, this Caswell stuff looks interesting.  I have some automotive and motorcycle things I'd like to plate and this stuff might come in handy.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 07:57:50 PM »

Excellant stuff Matt,

Thanks for the tip on the site, I have to get some stuff from them.

Have you used any of their products Matt?

G - The INR

SWLR-RNŲ54
WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 08:42:53 PM »

Silver oxide is a better conductor than clean silver so don't worry about unless your mother in law is inspecting the rig.

But Tom Vu where did they keep those silver bars??
I knew a guy from the cal lab who fixed those nasty power supplies and he got a couple tank coils done for me with .01 thick silver. One is in the 4cx3000A rig.
Remember coming in the back door and walking through. I could hold my breath to almost the top of the stairs then got a power hit of that acid taste. I bet all those guys are on the other side of the grass today....the root side

John sillbirth and his weird son chris what a goof.
Remember testing radar antennas on the roof.
W4LTM
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2006, 06:25:58 PM »

So what is the best stuff to use to clean parts you want to plate.   I am guessing some parts cleaners will leave a residue that will effect the plating process in a negative manor.

Thanks,

Matt
wb1aij
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 12:07:13 PM »

Anyone ever try the electroplating compounds that Antique Electronic Supply sells?  I was wondering if they work good or if I'd just be wasting money plating tank coils and whatever else.  Would silver plating make any performance difference?

Bob, I remember this stuff we used  years ago in Pratt & Whitney to silver plate copper and other metals. It was called "Cool-Amp" and it was a silver powder with other ingredients added. All that was required was to use a damp cloth and apply the powder. It worked well. I Googled "Cool Amp" a couple of years ago and it was still around.

I started removing the yellow paint from the rack you gave me so I can paint it for my 160 meter rig.

Bob Tomlin
WB1AIJ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015