The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:05:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldest AM B'Cast transmitter still in daily use ?  (Read 25606 times)
WA3VJB
« on: December 12, 2005, 10:54:31 AM »

Radio magazine

In 2003 we asked readers to help us find the oldest transmitter in
daily
use. In the Dec 2003 issue we noted our finding: a 1960 Gates BC-1T at
WNAH-AM, Nashville.
http://beradio.com/departments/radio_shaping_radio_today_24/

Once we published this finding, we received more letters disputing this
claim to be the oldest. (Where were they when we asked the first time?)
The
follow up resulted in a response from WFLO-AM, Farmville, VA. It uses a
Raytheon RA-1000 from 1947. In Feb 2004 it is the only transmitter that
station ever used since signing on.
http://beradio.com/departments/radio_search_continues/index.html

That was almost two years ago, and I don't know if the Raytheon is
still
going.

Chriss Scherer
Radio magazine
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 11:41:42 AM »

Is the Broadcast Transmitter Mafia circling Farmville yet?  Grin

Seriously, thanks for that Paul, very interesting.  Wonder how many re-tubes it's gone thru in its life?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 12:08:59 PM »

YES It is still in use !!!
I just spoke with the front office.
Woman answers, says "Oh, yes, Big Bertha still going strong !"

There's also a bit more on the reflector too --

>>If you simply want to predate 1965, find a Gates BC-1T. Hundreds if
not
thousands of those were built in about 1960-65 as Class IV's were
allowed
to increase day power from 250 W to 1 kW. This was before they were
permitted 1 kW night operation, and the BC-1T had a 1kW/250 manual
switch
as standard equipment.

There is a BC-1T in Vienna Georgia.  Don't know if it works or not, in
the
middle of hooking it up, the station was sold and the new owners didn't
want
me to finish the job.  They insisted on relying on the MW-1A.

Scott Cason
LaGrange Communications, LLC
502-213-0024
www.lagrange-com.com
k7yoo

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 05:20:22 PM »

How about the oldest COMMERCIAL/Broadcast Transmitter still on the air in AMATEUR usage in North America? That should be even more interesting.
Da Rules:
Must be hooked up and on the air--not in the barn--you will be required to prove it!
must use the original type finals --or equivalent if the oldies are unobtainium
No gutted cabinets with modern innards--must be at least resemble the original--
band conversions are obviously OK
No Military--that is a different category
any entries? Huh
Skip
K7YOO
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 08:18:41 PM »

Collins 300 j2   4-125's X 4-125's  s/n 222  previously at KSPN Spokane wa.  Yr manufacutured 1953?
Currently xtal controlled on 3870 and 3885 khz at KL7OF Tum Tum, WA
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 08:48:49 PM »

Okay, I'll jump in -- 1947 Collins 300-G, Ser. No 33
At the moment it's on 40 meters.

Skip/YOO, the final judge in this matter,  has been out here and on the air with it.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 09:41:32 PM »

How about the oldest CB in daily use?
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 11:21:22 PM »

Johnson Messenger 1 ?.... Courier 1M ?  Ratheon "Ray-Tel"?  Grin Grin Grin

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 11:45:40 PM »

There should be still be something older.  How about pre-WW2?  Even if it is just a stand-by.  The BC1-T is a real johnny-come-lately as far as transmitters go.  Anything homebrew (the broadcast term is a "composite" transmitter)?

My homebrew HF-300 rig uses the outer shell of a 1936-era 250w broadcast transmitter, but it had been gutted when I got it.  The transmitter does use  a lot of the original broadcast parts, and most of the stuff now in it is from the same era, plus the original dials, meters, control knobs and nameplates.

The original composite trasmitter used a single HD-203A to drive 3 regular 203-A's in parallel, modulated by a pair of 838's.  It was built in the mid-30's and used until the late 50's when they replaced it with a BC1-T.  A ended up getting that BC1-T a couple of years ago too, purely by coincidence.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KC8OPP

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 06:43:25 AM »

WRIB in Providence, RI. signed on in 1946 with a Raytheon RA-250, serial #166.  Now in almost daily use here in Celina, OH. on 160M.

813 driving a pair of 810's, modulated by a pair of 810's, connected to a 2 wave lenght loop for 160M.

* ray02.jpg (237.82 KB, 464x934 - viewed 783 times.)

* Inside Raytheon RA250 b.jpg (82.59 KB, 445x599 - viewed 1105 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 09:39:32 AM »

Yeah, you and Jay both have me beat with those rigs turning 60 next month.

His modified RA-250 is on 160 after a few years up on 75m.

And Don, you're right, WB8SKV used to run a pre-war Western Electric like Joe IBX now has, but not on the air yet.  I think Larry later turned slopbucket and changed his call.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 05:02:56 PM »

KK4BO ran a 30's vintage Western Electric TX on 160 meters back in the 90's. Haven't heard it or him on in years.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 05:28:58 PM »

YES It is still in use !!!
I just spoke with the front office.
Woman answers, says "Oh, yes, Big Bertha still going strong !"

There's also a bit more on the reflector too --

>>If you simply want to predate 1965, find a Gates BC-1T. Hundreds if
not
thousands of those were built in about 1960-65 as Class IV's were
allowed
to increase day power from 250 W to 1 kW. This was before they were
permitted 1 kW night operation, and the BC-1T had a 1kW/250 manual
switch
as standard equipment.

There is a BC-1T in Vienna Georgia.  Don't know if it works or not, in
the
middle of hooking it up, the station was sold and the new owners didn't
want
me to finish the job.  They insisted on relying on the MW-1A.

Scott Cason
LaGrange Communications, LLC
502-213-0024
www.lagrange-com.com

Paul - Interesting fact about the BC1-T. Around December 1961, the small town where I live, Washington Crossing, Pa became host to it's first transmitting site from station WAAM. It's transmitter was a Gates BC1-T. It just so happens that the station was sold many times to many owners and the SAME BC1-T made appearances at many stations throughout New Jersey and eventually wound up in my basement shack!

Best Regards,
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 05:31:39 PM »

Steve,
        If you'll use it I can give you one of those little single channel crapstal corntrolled Johnson Messenger "cube" jobs from 1959, caw mawn.
                              Joe Cro ex KBTX6603 on 11 Metros

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 05:38:03 PM »

Steve said:
KK4BO ran a 30's vintage Western Electric TX on 160 meters back in the 90's. Haven't heard it or him on in years

Lamont, KK4BO had that WE grid modulated rig with the six 211's in it. He eventually sold it to Larry WB8SKV who claimed to have a devil of a time keying it on 160. Joe, N3IBX has one of these waiting in the proverbial transmitter que. Lamont last I heard had returned to Goochland Co. in VA and he and his wife are co-owners/managers of a station around the Richmond area.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
doug807
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 07:19:43 PM »

I believe Al Weiner is using a Western Electric 12A circa 1932 in some capacity at his AM station WREM up in Monticello on 710 KHZ.  This is a daytimer with some low power authorization at night for which I think he's using the 12A or is planning to.  73 Doug. K2JJ
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 08:22:39 PM »

Hey Joe!

You actually remember your CB call letters?..good memory!... Honestly, I hold some of those old CB rigs near and dear.. Johnson, Tram, Browning, Courier and of course Lafayette...

I remember when the rules stated 10 mins on / 10 mins off.. and no hobby type communications! Very strict!  Shocked

Steve,
        If you'll use it I can give you one of those little single channel crapstal corntrolled Johnson Messenger "cube" jobs from 1959, caw mawn.
k7yoo

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »

How did the 11M thread get in here?
Anyway VJB and KYV are on the right track--but It looks like IBX could be on top of the heap (or buried under it) if he would quit inhaling rigs and put the WE on the air.
The gauntlet is down Joe!!!!!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 09:03:31 AM »

I believe Al Weiner is using a Western Electric 12A circa 1932 in some capacity at his AM station WREM up in Monticello on 710 KHZ.  This is a daytimer with some low power authorization at night for which I think he's using the 12A or is planning to.  73 Doug. K2JJ

Doug - I believe the 12A that Alan has is rated at 100 watts which would be perfect for his low power requirement. I was talking to Timmy, WA1 HnryYellar about it on the air not too long ago. If Alan does this I'm just about positive that he'll have the oldest broadcast transmitter in "active" service in the Northern Hemisphere. That would be "kewlbeanerz"!

I believe the 12A isn't a whole lot different from the WE 451A series except for a few cosmetics and power output (100W vs 250W). It's a grid modulated job with a perforated front panel to keep an eye on the tubes.

Regards,
          Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 09:06:02 AM »

Hey Joe!

You actually remember your CB call letters?..good memory!... Honestly, I hold some of those old CB rigs near and dear.. Johnson, Tram, Browning, Courier and of course Lafayette...

I remember when the rules stated 10 mins on / 10 mins off.. and no hobby type communications! Very strict!  Shocked

Steve,

Glen - My favorite was the Tram D201A with the built in "slider" VFO. The audio quality with a crapstal headded D-Ten-Four was tremendous. Lots of bottom end.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 09:20:15 AM »

How did the 11M thread get in here?
Anyway VJB and KYV are on the right track--but It looks like IBX could be on top of the heap (or buried under it) if he would quit inhaling rigs and put the WE on the air.
The gauntlet is down Joe!!!!!

Yo Skip - I resemble that remark! Transmitters are like Jello - There's always room for more - hi!

Actually I have to get a hold of  a big shoehorn to fit a few items in the basement shack, the Western Electric 451A-1, a newly acquired Collins "TDO" (813's X 805's), a big Western Electric Maritime transmitter, a 4CX1000 "leenyar" and a few other pieces in the garage are awaiting deployment into the basement shack. Plenty of muscle will be needed!

The major holdup is manpower and time, etc. Eventually I'll get to it. I really want to hear the WE broadcash box sing for it's supper on 160 Meters, and can't wait to see the glow of the sextet of WE 242C's through the window.

Hope to catch you on 75M soon.

Best Regards,
                  Joe Cro N3IBX

The bigger it is and more it weighs, the better it will work!

Joe Cro N3IBX

wa2zdy
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 09:46:52 AM »

. . . one of those little single channel crapstal corntrolled Johnson Messenger "cube" jobs from 1959

Talk about a nightmare revisited  . . .   when I was in high school my electronics shop teacher was W2IJE (sk.)  He had this idea for raising money for the ham club.  We started taking in CBs in need of repair and did the work for $10 plus parts.  This being the late 70s, we were regularly swamped with work.

One teacher had one of those Johnson Messengers and the receiver was out.  I drew that straw.  I did the signal trace from start to finish.  Every stage in that thing worked correctly.  The coupling between each stage was fine.  But the thing wouldn't receive. 

After a couple weeks of this IJE went over it himself with negative results.  We never did figure out what was wrong with it.  Gremlins or something, who knows.   

Flashbacks . . .   thanks Joe.
WA3VJB
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 10:22:17 AM »

Just so we all know what we're talking about, its the White Face Johnson, as I remember it, shown below. Highly prized even in the late 60s wnen it was new, since the tube final could be tweaked to 15 or 20 watts or so.

Blackfaced Johnson.

Paul/KBK-8468
"The Rebel"
Age 11

huh-HA !!!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 11:47:25 AM »

Just so we all know what we're talking about, its the White Face Johnson, as I remember it, shown below. Highly prized even in the late 60s wnen it was new, since the tube final could be tweaked to 15 or 20 watts or so.

Blackfaced Johnson.

Paul/KBK-8468
"The Rebel"
Age 11

huh-HA !!!

Paul,
      I'ze got the white faced Johnson "Messenger" (it's all tubes on the inside on both). I've been thinking about converting it to 10 Meters. It even has the original slim Johnson chromium microphonium attached w/o a connector directly into the set. I believe it was originally advertised as being a 10 Meter tranceiver that could go on 11 Mters by just adding the appropriate crapstals and tweaking it. I believe it's currently setup on channel 9.

Speaking of Junkston CB's, Do you remember the special gold plated 23 Channel "Anniversary" Messenger base station? It even came with a gold plate Turner +3/Johnson microphonium. I still have it after all these years. I just couldn't bring myself to swap it or get rid of it. Ditto on a B&K "Cobra" 23 channel base job, a Lafayette "Comstat 25B" with a "range boost" circut. The range boost circut guaranteed you'd strap anybody - hi!

Ashtabula Bill,W8VYZ has a modified "Range Boost" strap circut in his 803 rig - hi! With a "Range Boost" you'll not only strap slopbuckets; but other AM stations as well.

This is the "Green Hornet", KBTX6603 come awn......

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 12:01:49 PM »

Skip, K7YOO,
                 This thread went from broadcast transmitters to CB's. Funny how things work out; them both being at opposite sides of the spectrum.

Regards,
            Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015