The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:49:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldest AM B'Cast transmitter still in daily use ?  (Read 25607 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 12:09:32 PM »

Blackfaced Johnson.[/color][/size]

* blackfacesheep.jpg (10.7 KB, 280x210 - viewed 443 times.)
wa2zdy
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 12:32:34 PM »

Yep, it was indeed the whiteface that caused my nightmares for a long time.

If I had one now . . . 10AM might be a good idea.  Hmmm . . .
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2005, 10:42:04 PM »

Black faced James Bond?

SALMON REIGNITES BLACK BOND SPECULATION

British actor COLIN SALMON has reignited speculation he is to play the first black JAMES BOND, after confessing he has been in secret talks with producers of the superspy movies.

Tipped by PIERCE BROSNAN last year (04) as a good successor to the 007 role, Salmon has already starred in three Bond films as MI6 Chief of Staff, CHARLES ROBINSON.

And the respected RESIDENT EVIL actor admits that this, rather than racial prejudice, could cost him the lead role.

He says, "If I don't get the part, I won't think it's because I'm black. The producers have proved they can make brave appointments by casting Pierce Brosnan.

"If you'd said in the Seventies there would be an Irish Bond, people would have thought it was a joke.

"The process is more political than politics but I really want to be Bond. I know the British public is behind me."

05/10/2005 17:45
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/salmon%20reignites%20black%20bond%20speculation
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 12:27:43 AM »

You guys are frickin killing me....  Grin Grin Grin Grin

You've convinced me to add "Range Boast" to all of my rigs.... thanks for the hot tip.

["I worked Hawaii on 1/2 watt and a Gotham Vertical"  -  hows that for a range boast?]

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 12:43:46 AM »

White Face Johnson, 

Blackface Johnson.

Robert Johnson, the famous Guitar player  Cool Cool Cool
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 07:16:32 AM »

EVERYBODY!!  ON THE FLOOR!   I'M HIJACKING THIS THREAD TO CUBA!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 08:29:07 AM »

EVERYBODY!!  ON THE FLOOR!   I'M HIJACKING THIS THREAD TO CUBA!

Johnnie,
           I wonder what old broadcast boxes one might unearth in Cuba? Think of the possibilities! The only problem would be logistics; and the fact that they probably still run them everyday.

I wonder if any Cuban stations still run the elusive Western Electric 1A? What a beautiful box! It's a Heising modulated Hartley oscillator circa 1922 with big beautiful meters etc on it. I NEED one for my basement shack and would move it up to the top of the que to be worked on.

Hola 360 Meters!

Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
WA3VJB
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2005, 09:46:43 AM »

Joe said:
I NEED one

QTF, over ?

Maj. Wood
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2005, 10:41:34 AM »

Hey Joe;

Although I've never had the pleasure of visiting the vortex, From the photo's I've seen, and after talking to Ken W2DTC, I can't imagine how you could possibly fit another VF1 in there let alone another broadcash transmitter!!  Shocked

Your shack should be on the Sci-Fi channel... defying the laws of physics!  Grin Grin

I NEED one for my basement shack and would move it up to the top of the que to be worked on.

Hola 360 Meters!

Joe N3IBX
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 10:42:30 AM »

I wonder what old broadcast boxes one might unearth in Cuba? Think of the possibilities! The only problem would be logistics; and the fact that they probably still run them everyday

Don't forget about Central America and Mexico.  During the late 1970's and throughout the 1980's numerous WWII fighters and bombers were imported to the northamericangringos.  Who knows what radio goodies reside in Guatemala, Honduras, etc.  Road trip time?

Mark - Good point! My Western Electric 451A-1 was originally rescued from a "Bible Beater" station in Mexico over 20 years ago.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2005, 10:46:08 AM »

Hey Joe;

Although I've never had the pleasure of visiting the vortex

Glen,
      You are welcome anytime!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 10:48:48 AM »

Joe said:
I NEED one

QTF, over ?

Maj. Wood

He's a friendly guy you can calll "Dick"! When you "STRAPPED" that comment over the air it was perfect timing!

Paul - I think you just (appropriately) named my WE 451A-1. "Major Wood" is what one will get seeing the SEXtet of WE 242C's lit off! From now on that's what I'll call him.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2005, 11:09:44 AM »

Joe said:
I NEED one

QTF, over ?

Maj. Wood

He's a friendly guy you can calll "Dick"! When you "STRAPPED" that comment over the air it was perfect timing!

Paul - I think you just (appropriately) named my WE 451A-1. "Major Wood" is what one will get seeing the SEXtet of WE 242C's lit off! From now on that's what I'll call him.

Joe, I think you suffer from RF induced priapism.

Go Duke![/b]
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2005, 01:24:36 PM »

Joe said:
I NEED one

QTF, over ?

Maj. Wood

Joe, I think you suffer from RF induced priapism.

No comment, but I tell all the young girls I can lick my eyebrows!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2005, 05:21:53 PM »

Just make sure you don't have a hellhound on your tail!

Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2005, 05:36:36 PM »

Just make sure you don't have a hellhound on your tail!

Then stay away from the crossroads.   
(Nobody gonna help ya Huz, everybody gonna pass you by.)

Go Duke![/b]
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2005, 06:11:37 PM »

I went down there, but nobody knows you when you're down and out. So instead I went to sweet home Chicago. Don't you want to go?
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2005, 07:18:54 PM »

I went down there, but nobody knows you when you're down and out. So instead I went to sweet home Chicago. Don't you want to go?

Steve,
        Would there be a Western Electric 1A awaiting being saved?
                                                                                           Joe -ibx

Joe Cro N3IBX

k7yoo

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2005, 09:11:14 PM »

It is amazing how a topic can unravel and become "threads"
You lost me at the CB radios and sheep. A real baaaad 10-4

My interest revived a bit with the south of the border transmitter hunt. I know of some good places to start. I have been in several flea markets in Bogota, Lima, and other strange places. I also know of some hole in the wall radio repair shops that have big mod iron on the shelves--upon inquiry the proprietors knew where to get more--from the "cajas grandes gris". It is like panning for gold--follow the flakes to the mother lode---speaking of flakes.....

Skip

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2005, 12:02:48 AM »

I'd bet there are some nice pre WW2 transmitters hidden away down there, dating all the way back to the 20's.  There used to be many low power shortwave broadcast stations on the air in Mexico.  You could hear them in the 25m shortwave band during the day.  They apparently have all gone dark now.  No doubt a lot of low power MW BC transmitters that are no longer in use, too.  And they don't have the same engrained throw-it-away mentality as the Gringos, so no telling what might be stashed away in some old shed somewhere.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015