The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:02:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh-No, Snow!  (Read 18816 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: November 24, 2005, 06:50:25 AM »

Woke up to the first snow of the season. Yesterday was the first day we had that was below 32 degrees during daylight hours.   I guess I should put the lawn mower away and pull out the snow blower and see if it'll start. Seventeen weeks until spring and about 23 or 24 weeks  to consistent warm weather. 

I hate this white crap...   Yuk.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
kc2ifr
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 07:20:12 AM »

About 2 inches here and its still coming down..... Sad
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 07:55:51 AM »

YAY SNOW! Will make the GHS football game funner!

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 01:41:58 PM »

Well, don't worry. I won't rub it in.. the fact that it's a beautiful sunny 68 degrees here at the new QTH today... I was just out in the back yard splitting some logs in my tee shirt...Nope, won't rub it in.. I promise!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Grin Grin

WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 09:24:42 PM »

Well,
We just came home from the beach where there was no snow. Almost nothing until we got to our street we have a couple inches. HMMMM guess it will be the perfect weekend to put up a new 160 meter antenna and the cold wx will guarantee good results. As we all know the best antennas are put up in the worst wx.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 09:47:07 PM »

You're absolutely right Frank!... I learned that old ham radio folklore back in my JN days.. where the construction difficulty and performance results of an antenna project were directly proportional to the severity of the weather.

I've put up many an ant during snow storms, and in the rain.

So what am I gonna do now that I live in North Carolina?  Huh The worse they get down here is an occasional ice storm!.... Does that mean I'm doomed with crappy antenna performance?  Cry Cry

Well,
We just came home from the beach where there was no snow. Almost nothing until we got to our street we have a couple inches. HMMMM guess it will be the perfect weekend to put up a new 160 meter antenna and the cold wx will guarantee good results. As we all know the best antennas are put up in the worst wx.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 09:56:54 PM »

get everything ready for a freak storm or be pw and warm.
W1GFH
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 10:24:57 PM »

The freak snow must be a good luck charm for RF. I was listening on 3885 at 7PM PST and heard the band suddenly open to the East Coast.....KA1ZGC booming into my Burbank CA QTH, commenting about his snow static QRN, from my old home town of Salem, NH --- a Thanksgiving treat.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 12:33:20 AM »

Yes, it was snowing in Northern Virginia on Wednesday night.  We've had ice on the ground in the mornings too.  Brrrr, I don't like it at all...

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 10:12:40 AM »

I'm sitting in the solar room at about 75 and sunny. It will be in the 80s by noon. I look outside at the wind and snow at 24 degrees and ask myself to get motivated to work on the 160 antenna. I guess I'll wait a few hours and get the kids to hold the spool while I lay out a couple 125 foot runs. I think I can get the feed line in the back door so the center section can be soldered and taped.
ve6pg

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 02:22:16 PM »

...ABOUT AN INCH IN TORONTO..NOT COLD THO...'SUPPOSED TO BE MELTED BY MONDAY..STILL HAVE LEAVES ON SOME TREES...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
John Holotko

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 07:43:36 PM »

Well I HATE, LOATHE and DESPISE snow with a BURNING PASSION !! The very sight of snow makes me sick to my stomach. Snow is nothing but garbage from the sky, a blasted curse on humanity.  I love hot weather though, give me 95+ degrees and 95% humidity and I am happy as hell. For me the hotter the better. This year we had a long hot humid summer down here and I loved every gorgeous minute of it.

This thanksgiving I went up to my brothers place in upstate New York and what I saw made me sick. About an inch of white snow on the ground. It was disgusting. made me want to puke. Fortunately here in the city we got no snow but it was too darned cold.

Well, we've got some warmer weather in store for this coming week.. Sometimes it's good when ytou get the cold junk early in the season. Get it over with. maybe the rest of this winter will be warm.

As for global warming I say bring it on. If it will put an end to snow and cold weather then I welcome global warming. Some like it hot and I am one who likes it HOT.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 08:18:26 PM »

The only thing snow is good for is making more time for ham radio.
You can't cut the lawn, work in the garden or the outside of the house.
Worst of all nothing to look at on the beach sept the birds and the waves as you freeze.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 10:46:50 PM »

As for global warming I say bring it on. If it will put an end to snow and cold weather then I welcome global warming. Some like it hot and I am one who likes it HOT.

Yeah, bring on global warming.  Just had the oil tank filled today and puked at the price. $2.50/gal.  Fortunately, I prepaid back in August so I was able to swallow.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 04:14:23 AM »

Yeah, bring on global warming.  Just had the oil tank filled today and puked at the price. $2.50/gal.  Fortunately, I prepaid back in August so I was able to swallow.

Yeah, but there might be a tradeoff. Many people living in the cooler New England areas, the higher elevations, and other areas where it's relatively cool in the summer don;t have to deal with something we deal with here. Constant air conditioning all summer long. This summer the need for air constant conditionaing in virtually every home and business ran from early June right through a good chunk of September. Instead of high fuel bills you end up with electric bills that are through the roof. Not to mention the antiquated electric grids that can barely feed the high demand for summer air conditioning. Get a nice boiling hot day with high ac demands the grid overheats and whammo... everything goes dead. Then the maintenance costs get tacked onto the bill in terms of additional rate increases.  If global warming is for real more people may wind up with the heavy ac use and high electric bills. Bottom line is, hot or cold, they gotcha.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 07:49:16 AM »

If global warming is for real more people may wind up with the heavy ac use and high electric bills. Bottom line is, hot or cold, they gotcha.

Definite trade off John.  Electric demands are much greater during the summer. 

I'm not necessarily for global warming especially if it's supposed to be caused by human activity (though I have a hard time believing that).  I just hate snow. I don't like cleaning it up. I don't like driving in it.  I especially don't like driving in it when I have to share the road with inexperienced and moron drivers.  If push came to shove I can deal with the cold even if it were below zero for a month straight.  I just dislike snow.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
wa2zdy
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 08:44:16 AM »

Well I HATE, LOATHE and DESPISE snow with a BURNING PASSION !! The very sight of snow makes me sick to my stomach. Snow is nothing but garbage from the sky, a blasted curse on humanity. . . . Some like it hot and I am one who likes it HOT.

Sign me up.  We'd have moved to Florida by now if not for the hurricanes scaring the wife out of it.  I retired in September and I really don't handle the snow or cold well at all.  Sure, some of that is due to my health but this cold stuff just sucks.

I'd be willing to pay the electric bill for cool as needed.  And I'd rather be hot than cold if I had to make the choice.  Besides, cooling season is shorter than heating season.  Folks lived without air conditioning until the past 50 years.  They've had heat (fire) since prehistoric times. 

The comment about the beach in winter is oh so true too.  Who wants to see cold birds on the beach? !

Hot is good.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2005, 09:51:40 AM »

Don't like the cold? Why do you live in the Northeast USA? Just curious.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2005, 09:57:58 AM »

Yep I hate it too... finally did something about it... got the hell outta dare!  Cool Cool Cool

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2005, 11:15:46 AM »

I love all four seasons in CT.  Take one away and there's a gap.  I lived in Florida during various times of the year and found it like limbo. Nice WX, OM, but too boring. Except for the fun T-storms, of course.

The Northeast is perfect. When the summer gets old, the fall comes. The spring is outstanding. Love Nov - Jan and the snow. The only time of year that gets tough is Feb/Mar. That's when the cabin fever starts everywhere and we gets lots of drive by shootings and stabbings on 75M... Shocked

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 12:37:04 PM »

Having lived a total of 7 years in tropical third world countries, I can see that I am very happy to see snow and cool wx.  You can always dress for the cold, but there's a limit to the amount of clothes you can take off afore you get arrested.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2005, 11:30:55 AM »

I noticed the same thing while working for skrotorola hot wx was worse.

Well cold and snow on the ground this weekend while putting up the new 160 antenna, should work based on wx. Even threw in a trip up the tower to untangle a hunk of rope I needed for a end support. Can't wait to be back on 160
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 12:00:15 PM »

And while in the northeast we were still talking about the record cold temps and the snow that fell last Thursday and Friday, yesterday in Kansas things got pretty wild.

http://www.violentplains.com/

Go Duke![/b]
KA1ZGC
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 01:32:02 PM »

The freak snow must be a good luck charm for RF. I was listening on 3885 at 7PM PST and heard the band suddenly open to the East Coast.....KA1ZGC booming into my Burbank CA QTH, commenting about his snow static QRN, from my old home town of Salem, NH --- a Thanksgiving treat.

Actually, I was at Timtron's place on the BC-610-B-as-in-"bastardized" into the wire array pointing right at you. Oddly enough, after I unkeyed from making that transmission, the ant stopped discharging and I was able to hear again.

As great a low-angle ant as the wire array is, it's very prone to building up a charge in the presence of precipitation. Usually snow doesn't bother it that bad, but that storm system was very unusual. My nephew was in my parents' yard making a snowman on Thanksgiving when he was suddenly scared back inside by a clap of thunder. We had a fairly close lightning strike about ten minutes later, and a few more thunderclaps here and there, then eventually it turned back into snow.

The thing I hated about that storm was finding out how totally awful my tires were by having my heart accellerate to UHF several times. The tire places were very busy last weekend!

--Thom
Kilimunjaro Africa One Zulu Goat Cheese
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »

21 right now, supposed to be -7 tonight. Snowed on Saturday more snow on thursday and a low of -10. God, I love it. Keeps people from moving here.

http://www.pinedaleonline.com/

73, Marty WB2RJR

AMI #20, GACW #786
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015