The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:08:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thrill ride  (Read 6340 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: October 24, 2006, 04:58:30 PM »

If you have a vehicle older than 10 years old it might be a good idea to get your brakelines checked and/or replaced because of corrosion.  Especially if you live in an area where the roads are salted in the winter.  I had a thrill ride this weekend when the brakes in the 94 Ranger crapped out.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »

Bob,
That was the only equipment failure I ever had in my '88 chevy. Line to the rear wheels rusted through. I don't know why they can't change to stainless...heck they did it with exhaust systems. I notice a couple in my 2001 have a good layer. 
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »

Frank,
I got underneath the truck and the dummies that designed the truck ran the brakeline to the rear wheels near the left rear wheel where it is a target for all the road grime and debris.  I think the thing that really has me baffled is why I ran out of brake fluid in both systems.  Why there isn't a baffle between the two systems in the fluid reservoir to keep one system from going dry is strange.  And yes, why not use something that is more corrosion resistant than plain ole steel.    Huh Huh Huh Huh

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 06:14:22 PM »

I replaced all the brake lines on my 94 Ranger in '03... dhey was rottin...  I replaced the front brakes/rotor also....   114K on one set of pads. Nice.           

On my 02 Explorer, all rotors ( on all 4) and brakes replaced at 35K, then the 2nd full set at 53K ( this is the 3 rd pair, 2 plus the originals)....  Driving down I90, the transmission cooler lines rusted through... fun times watching the tach pin...  didnt know there was space after the red line... The lines rotted at the plactic 'hanger' and sprayed red stuff all over the place....   also,  replaced the rear end, had the c(r)use controll recall taken care of, then the controll stoped working.... the bumper and nerf bars are rusting out (no rust on the '94) , and the tires started scalping at 50k ( yes, l I did have them rotated and the the pressure is within specks.)  Door kickpanel speaker is blown. Back wiper won't contact rear window (this was fixed at dealer- lasted 1 year)... up to 71k on it.... no wonder the jobs are leaving the country....    ( will this post fit in the old buzzzard thread??)  ....   klc

What? Me worry?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 07:17:42 PM »

Same thing happened to my '94 Chevy K1500 with the back brake line.  Only vehicle I've ever had that rusted thru the brake line, and I lived for years in the salt capitol of the world - Minneapolis.  Of course back then I drove Chrysler products exclusively  Grin

Thank God for dual braking systems.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2JBL

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »

Bob- from the mid sixties to the early eighties they had a "dual" master cylinder on cars. i think iit was federally mandated, and my father was involved in desigining it. he patented the shuttle valve and warning light switch that when one system started to bleed out, the valve would move to block it off and maintain the other resevior and system so you could stop. those shuttle valves tended to hang up though. plastic resivuors came along and now we are screwed again. stainless lines are expensive, and not often seen on passenger cars. my 90 Chevy cop car that mostly sits and rots is a good candidate for a "thrill ride". it sat in a highway dept yard by a salt pile for years before i rescued it. makes me think twice before i stomp that pedal hard!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 08:29:34 AM »

I have had that happen to me on several occasions, including one that I had to continue on for another 20 miles or so.

From that time on I have always kept a pair of vise-grips ans a couple of compressoin union fittings in my "survival kit"

The vise grips can be used to pinch off a rotted line and keep you going. Or the compression union can splide the line for a temporary repair. In a pinch either one of these can at least get you home.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:02:57 AM »

John, let me guess it rotted through near the gas tank.

We have small stainless air lines all over this facility for different kinds of gas.
I need to locate some line with double flare. My new truck has rubber hose connectted to line so will have to cop something up. My bad spot is the front wheels as they go over the upper control arm.
Vise grips work well but I remember using a hammer on my sister's car the day she went for her driver's license test and a line broke across the rear end. 

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 09:44:12 AM »

Bingo!  Had to pull the gas tank to replace it  Angry

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 12:09:13 PM »

I was lucky only had to drop the fuel line. Those friggen mounting clips were a pain.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 01:00:17 PM »

Frank,
I got underneath the truck and the dummies that designed the truck ran the brakeline to the rear wheels near the left rear wheel where it is a target for all the road grime and debris.  I think the thing that really has me baffled is why I ran out of brake fluid in both systems.  Why there isn't a baffle between the two systems in the fluid reservoir to keep one system from going dry is strange.  And yes, why not use something that is more corrosion resistant than plain ole steel.    Huh Huh Huh Huh

That's nothing. Some newer cars have a line assembly which contains brake, fuel and evap. lines. The whole thing has to be replaced if anything leaks. $$$$$$$
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 01:16:20 PM »

Screw that, I'll just run a new individual line for whichever one springs a leak!

Remember that a good ham always knows a way to beat the system!!

The Slab Bacon

WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 03:42:51 PM »

Under the front seat the lines ran through looms with all lines installed. I just changed it in 5 foot sections so I could route the new line in the looms. I cut htem section at a time and bended the new line to match the old. Once you get behind the gas tank in a truck all you have is break line. Replacing all at once you might have to lift the body off the frame to get it in. fc
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 10:13:13 AM »

Screw that, I'll just run a new individual line for whichever one springs a leak!

Remember that a good ham always knows a way to beat the system!!

The Slab Bacon

They made that impossible. Some lines are 2 different sizes at either end with speciality connections.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 10:18:50 AM »

Where there is a will, there is a way. Trust me! Grin

WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 12:28:11 PM »

No problem with size change
W1IA

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 12:53:19 PM »

Where there is a will, there is a way. Trust me! Grin
Where theres a will...there will be lawyers and vulture relatives! Grin

Run What Ya Brung!