The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:13:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The perfect Lantern Globe [chimney] for your 813 rig - $4.95  (Read 4907 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: November 23, 2005, 12:37:47 AM »

Here's the perfect lantern globe for an 813 chimney. It took some time to find and is an off brand, but from a good lantern company called Dietz. Notice the height at 6 3/4" just covers the plate cap - and the base at 3 3/8" gives room to drill a circle of holes around the socket base for great air flow. Sub-mount the socket 1/2" down for even better flow.  The top tapers to 2 3/4"... nice fit.

This is called the Dietz "FLG" globe for their  Monarch and Blizzard lanterns. Costs only $4.95 each. There's a few vendors on the web who have them available.

Dimensions:
(A=3 3/8", B=2 3/4", C=6 3/4")
[The chimney is actually tall and slender like an 813, not scaled like the diagram shown below]

Here's the listing:
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=284

I've got three on the way for the one final and two modulators on one air sub chassis. Will post pics when they arrive.

And, here's some more globes that might work FB for 3-500Z's and other applications.

Or, do a search on Google for "Lantern Globes" to find others.

http://www.rei.com/category/11753602.htm

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 11:22:47 AM »

Yo Tom, I must have missed something. When did we start cooling 813's with a smoke stack?

Terry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »

Yo Tom, I must have missed something. When did we start cooling 813's with a smoke stack?
Terry

Hola Terry,

I only know of one guy who's doing it with a chimney. I'm sure there's others. He claims to be getting 800W!! carrier out of a single 813 ...blown.

ANY glass tube will increase it's power diss rating by moving air by it. Take the 833A. The Eimac specs rate it at 350W no air, but 450W with air flow.   I plan to cool my 833A's.

As for the 813, the fil is 50W and the plate structure looks almost as big as a 3-500Z. But they are rated at only 125W.  I'm cornvinced with  good air/chimney that figure can be increased to 250W. Esp cuz of the capacity of the fil to deliver power.

I ran my old 813's w/o air and found they got pretty hot as modulators.  But this time with air they will run cool at the same power level and the seals will smile.

Either way is FB, but I just thought it wud be unique to have a silent air flow on a single 813 final to see how much power I could safely run it. 3200VDC will be the goal, plate modulated.  I'll post some pics when it's running.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 04:49:50 PM »

Cool, err I mean hot!! Interesting enough, people who ice fish around here take a 12-volt taillight, the one with two filaments and hook them up to a car battery to draw fish in at night. They place the light in the water first with the power off under the ice and then turn it on. I guess the temperature of the water is just above freezing and the lamp does not burn out. That said, a person could take an 838 triode, which is like an 805 except the plate is on the socket and make a water cooled triode out of it. I think you would not want the water to boil but I'll bet it would cool better than air.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
John Holotko

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 04:20:16 AM »

Unfoortunately Dietz parts are falling in short supply. They are retooling a new factory and are only shipping limited quantities of lanterns and parts. There may be a temporary dip in supplies before they get back to full crapacity.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 07:56:08 AM »

Tom Vu,
           I'ze appreciates the information. I've never seen 813's with chimineys before but why not? It's a good idea and perhaps I can get enough air to pass through them to prevent the graphite anuses from turning color. Waykewl idea!

Mod-U-Later,
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 11:11:05 AM »

Unfoortunately Dietz parts are falling in short supply. They are retooling a new factory and are only shipping limited quantities of lanterns and parts. There may be a temporary dip in supplies before they get back to full crapacity.

Good point. John.

I wondered why a few vendors said, "backorder".  When I ordered my chimneys, th vendor didn't say, "in stock".  I' wonder, since they haven't arrived yet.... Too bad, cuz these are the perfect fit.

T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015