The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:44:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your License  (Read 3207 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: November 19, 2005, 06:09:05 PM »

Since the FCC needs to save money, why not issue our license for lifetime and make the data base the official infomation point. A paper license would not be necessary and renewals would be a thing of the past.  If someone moves or upgrades, then only Adminstrative Updates would be required. 
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 02:31:11 AM »

The problem I see with a lifetime licence is that as people die off or lose interest, they remain in the data base for ever.  Callsigns would be locked up for years after the passing of the operator.

I just wish they would simplify the renewal procedure.

My licence is up for renewal in less than a year.  Last time I renewed, I simply filled in a Form 610 and dropped it in the mail, and a few weeks later my renewal came back via USPS. 

I understand it's been made more complicated now; that you have to first apply for a FCC registration number before you can submit your renewal application, making licence renewal a two-step process.   I haven't seen any instructions lately on how to do it by mail.  I suppose they are afraid that some disgruntled ham might try to slip some anthrax in with the application.

Up to now, I haven't paid much attention to any of this, since I knew my ticket wasn't up for renewal until 2006, but I need to at least be getting an idea of where to start.

I was told that what I need is a FRN (FCC Registration Number).  To do that you go to the FCC ULS Web Page and click on Register CORES/CALL SIGN button.  Then follow the on-screen instructions to get your FRN and get it associated with your call sign.

I tried that a few weeks ago.  Brought up the website, but when I clicked on the button nothing happened.  Haven't tried it again yet, but I have heard a lot of  stories of other people finding that website impossible to navigate.  I was hoping that by the time my renewal date came up they would have worked all the bugs out.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 05:34:30 AM »

Don,

You need to just keep trying the ULS website.  I found the same problem back a few years ago when I did this.  Finally I just kept waiting after pressing the button and something finally happened.  I'm really surprised to hear that is STILL a problem!  Anyway, once you get all that done, you can do anything you need to renew, modify, etc., your ham ticket and they will mail a new one to you.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:35:36 AM »

Don be sure Java is enabled and your browser will accept cookies from them.  If you continue to have problems, call FCC Support at 877-480-3201.  You will find they are very gracious and will assist you with any problems you have. 

If you perfer you can go to  http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/ then click on "more ULS Support Topics" in the pane called "Technical and Licensing Support" on the right side of the screen.  You will get a screen called "Support".  On the left side of the screen below the search box are links to several other topics.  Toward the bottom is one called "Forms"  You can go there to download the form for mail in should you choose.

k3zrf

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 11:35:17 AM »

I was told that what I need is a FRN (FCC Registration Number).  To do that you go to the FCC ULS Web Page and click on Register CORES/CALL SIGN button.  Then follow the on-screen instructions to get your FRN and get it associated with your call sign.

I tried that a few weeks ago.  Brought up the website, but when I clicked on the button nothing happened.  Haven't tried it again yet, but I have heard a lot of  stories of other people finding that website impossible to navigate.  I was hoping that by the time my renewal date came up they would have worked all the bugs out.

Tried it this morning and got my FRN in about 10 minutes, wow, it really works!

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 08:59:05 PM »

FRN works great.
Think of it yoo get a license for life and then become an IRB.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 09:22:37 PM »

Interestingly, I received my FRN a few years back in the mail. One day an envelope from the FCC arrived and I wondered what I had done wrong. Turned out to be the FRN with a 2 page explaination of the new CORES system.

I've since used the online registration to renew my license and modify it when they got the address wrong.

I use another CORES service to register our FCC Test site at work and keep it updated. Very easy and straight forward.

w1guh
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 08:03:48 PM »

Just to share my experience with QRZ.com....

I paid the bucks and had them renew for me...I had my paper ticket in the mail within a week.  I was in the database almost immediately.

No muss..no fuss, it was an extremly easy and straightforward transaction.

IMHO...worth the bucks.

Paul
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 08:42:23 PM »

Paul said:
Just to share my experience with QRZ.com....

I paid the bucks and had them renew for me...I had my paper ticket in the mail within a week.  I was in the database almost immediately.

No muss..no fuss, it was an extremly easy and straightforward transaction.

IMHO...worth the bucks.

Why pay them when you can do it by yourself for free? Hell I changed my address with out a problem at all. They even sent an Email with the link to make sure I was the one making the change.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
John Holotko

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 05:57:05 PM »

The problem I see with a lifetime licence is that as people die off or lose interest, they remain in the data base for ever.  Callsigns would be locked up for years after the passing of the operator.

I just wish they would simplify the renewal procedure.

My licence is up for renewal in less than a year.  Last time I renewed, I simply filled in a Form 610 and dropped it in the mail, and a few weeks later my renewal came back via USPS. 

I understand it's been made more complicated now; that you have to first apply for a FCC registration number before you can submit your renewal application, making licence renewal a two-step process.   I haven't seen any instructions lately on how to do it by mail.  I suppose they are afraid that some disgruntled ham might try to slip some anthrax in with the application.

Up to now, I haven't paid much attention to any of this, since I knew my ticket wasn't up for renewal until 2006, but I need to at least be getting an idea of where to start.

I never renewed by regular mail. I renewed via the ULS system soon after it was first implemented. At that point you didn't need an FRN number to renew via ULS. I thought the process would be screwed up due to the early implementatrion of the system but it worked fine. Registration was quick, painless, and I had my renewed license within a couple of weeks.   More recently I registered for an FRN number.  That too was quick and easy. Shortly after you register for an FRN online you'll also get a letter of confirmation with your number and password via regular mail.

Thus far I've had no problem with the new computerized system. Seems to work very well.  Last time my license was up for renewal I got letters from all sorts of "ham radio groups and cliques" telling me they'll renew my license for me for a fee. Why bother with fees ?? Takes 5 minutes to go online and do it myself for nothing.

Far as renewal goes I think every 10 years is fine. If a person can't take 5 or 10 minutes to renew their license every 10 years then they are either dead, extremely lazy, or, so uninterested with ham radio that they might as well let it expire and take up basket weaving.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015