The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:58:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorola Paging Transmitter with Pair of 8560 Tubes  (Read 7739 times)
WA1HZK

« on: November 03, 2005, 08:04:38 PM »

I just stripped out a low band (6 mtr) paging transmitter. The rig used a pair of 8560AS tubes. These are the convection cooled tube like the 4CX250 but no Air. What I need is the schematic of the power supply for this thing. It made about 2,000 Volts and probably around 250 for the tube screens plus the 12 volts for the rest of the Micor decks. The P?N's on the power supply are:
High Voltage/Screen, P/N TLN5699A
Also on the HV deck, TPN1131A-1
And on the 12 volt regulator deck below it P/N TPN1132A
I need a schematic of this PS. I think it will feed 813's X 813's just pissa.
Does anyone have info on this late 80's Micor Low Band Paging Transmitter?
I have $240.00 into the thing years ago. Anyone want to make an offer on the Amplifier Deck? It's clean except for some mouse crap on the cooling tower.
Keith
WA1HZK

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 08:50:27 PM »

You might trip over to QRZ and find Glen, K9STH.  He may have that infomation available if no one else comes up with it for you.  He owned and operated a Motorola Reconditioned Equipment shop for a number of years before retiring.
WA1HZK

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 10:00:15 PM »

Looks like WA2ONK is lending me the manual.
I guess I'm all set.
Thanks

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 09:45:31 AM »

That arrangement of tubes could give you a leanyear operation of possibly 400 watts. I used to have one of those brute PS in Maryland and gave it away. TOOOO heavy for me to just move from one QTH to another. The tubes are very expensive and do not last very long.
My former employment used Motorola stuff. Good stuff and it's expensive!!!

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W2JBL

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 08:32:05 PM »

that power supply is good for 1500 volts under load, at about 300mils. it's a ferro resonant regulated deal that gets kinda funky when used outside of it's origional application. had one here and never really used it. the RF deck works good on 6 meters if it's a 42-50 split. the 29-36 split worked good on 10 (and below). i did one up for "10" a while back for somebody, and by incresing the screen voltage  bit with the "screen" control got the resting current up to the AB1 area. it worked fine on AM/SSB. i have built a few amps with conduction cooled tubes though, and they were all winners. you can get as much plate dissapation as you want from a given tube using it (limited by heatsink), often WAY above it's specs. i built a pair of 8072's conduction cooled five years ago and it was good for 800 PEP out. i use it on 160 SSB.  on my job i still encounter those 8560 Micor transmitters, and they are a pain in my ass. the new 300 watt FET PA's run circles around them.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 06:27:11 PM »

Keith,
       I have the exact same transmitter as you do in my "transmitter stash" pile and was thinking of all kinds of things to eventually do with it. I have it slated in the long term project file, and probably won't get to it for another four to five years.

I believe I do have a manwell somewhere and will look in earnest to see if I can find it. If I do, I can send it up for you to copy, borrow, or whatever.

Also, If your 8560AS's are "Mr. Softees" or crapped out, I have an "IN" with the 8560AS fairy. He has about a half dozen or so good Chinese pulls from transmitters. Let me know if you need them and I'll send you up a couple.

Good luck with your project. I just acquired a "Marmax" Rothman modulator and think it may be a kewlbeanerz idea to Rothman mod the screens of the 8560ASS'es.

Mod-U-Later,
                Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015