The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Wants To Ban Beer Import Because Of Elf On Label  (Read 10729 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: October 29, 2005, 05:50:45 AM »

Connecticut State Attorney General is at it again.
This guy never quits coming up with the dumbest stuff to enforce.
http://www.nbc30.com/news/5199289/detail.html
http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=4043280
http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=6A80BC48-D391-4F86-91DA-86A23ADF337C

State Wants To Ban Beer Import Because Of The Elf On The Label

By PAT EATON-ROBB
& ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published on 10/29/2005

Hartford — A constitutional battle is brewing over a holiday beer that state officials are trying to ban because they say its label might entice children to drink.

The state believes it would be really awful for kids to see the label on the British import Seriously Bad Elf.

It shows a mean-looking elf with a slingshot firing Christmas ornaments at Santa's sleigh as it flies overhead.

State liquor regulations bar alcohol advertising with images that might appeal to children. The regulations specifically mention Santa.

“There are certain symbols and images that appeal more strongly to children and this regulation includes the most obvious among them,” Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said. “The state has wide discretion to regulate the sales of alcohol.”

The state Liquor Control Division notified Massachusetts-based Shelton Brothers distributors that it was rejecting its application to sell the beer, a bitter winter ale brewed at the Ridgeway Brewery in England.

Dan Shelton cried foul. After all, his company had no such problems when it sold Bad Elf and Very Bad Elf in previous years. It sells the beer in 30 states and none have complained.

“We even had a beer called Santa's Butt last year,” Shelton said. “They didn't notice Santa's Butt, but they notice this one. How can you miss that big red thing? Minors are not going to be looking to buy beer because Santa Claus is on the label.”

Messages seeking comment were left with the Department of Consumer Protection, which oversees the Liquor Control Division.

Federal law limits what can be printed on beer labels but does not address marketing to children. Each state sets its own laws and, once a beer label is approved federally, it still needs state approval.

Most states limit alcohol marketing to minors and many prohibit the use of images such as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, according to a 2003 report by the Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth at Georgetown University.

Two industry groups, the Beer Institute and the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, have adopted voluntary codes of conduct prohibiting the use of Santa Claus in alcohol marketing.

Shelton has enlisted the help of the American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut and demanded a hearing before the Liquor Control Commission.

At that hearing this week, ACLU attorney Annette Lamoreaux argued that the regulation has serious constitutional flaws.

Not only does it violate Shelton's free speech rights, she said, but protecting Santa Claus is a violation of the Constitution's establishment clause, which prohibits government endorsement or disapproval of religion.

She also cited a decision in another beer-label case, Bad Frog vs. New York. A court ruled that the potential for an image to attract a child is not reason enough to ban it from a beer bottle because there are already laws against selling beer to children.

Not only that, Shelton said, but you can hardly make out Santa in his sleigh on the beer label.

“The state of Connecticut must not have enough to think about,” said Gary A. Lippincott, the Massachusetts artist responsible for the image. “The funny thing is that it is really tame compared to what they originally wanted. I believe the original idea started with him roasting a reindeer on a spit. I wonder how that would have gone over.”

The state has also indicated that it will not allow Shelton Brothers to sell Warm Welcome Nut Brown Ale, which also has a picture of Santa Claus on the label.

Lippincott, who has illustrated children's books, said he was not thinking of kids when he drew the seriously bad elf. He said many small breweries try to stand out by making their labels humorous or interesting.

But studies have shown children can be affected by alcohol advertising, said George Hacker, the director of the Alcohol Policies Project at the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

A 1996 study showed that more kids recognized the Budweiser Frogs than Tony the Tiger or Smokey the Bear.

“This kind of advertising has great appeal to young people, but the line where the states and the government can restrict that speech is very squishy,” Hacker said.

Lamoreaux said she's confident the Constitution is on Shelton's side, and they would win any court battle. But she said they are not looking for the state to revamp its liquor regulations.

“Mr. Shelton just wants to sell his beer,” she said. “If I were them, I'd just let Mr. Shelton sell his beer.”

Shelton is awaiting the commission's formal decision.

———

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 10:06:36 AM »

What a joke of a law.  ROTFL
The minors who are actually looking to buy and consume beer are too old to believe in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny.
I understand and support efforts to curb alcohol consumption among minors, but give me a break.

David, K3TUE
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 10:30:39 AM »

It's not great beer, but the labels are funny.

* Picture 3.jpg (191.34 KB, 640x480 - viewed 503 times.)

Bill KA8WTK
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 11:51:36 AM »

If the goverment really cared about bad influences on children, they would ban rap and so-called "hip hop" music from sale.
The lyrics in those songs, combined with the decandent lifestyle of the "artists", is a far worse influence than a image of a mean Elf on a beer bottle.
Plus there is a direct and proven cause and effect --> http://my.webmd.com/content/article/61/68559.htm

Of course, this is just common sense.
But it would be policitally incorrect for our elected leaders to go after rap "music", its much easier to attack a more PC target like beer, after all "its for the children"!

Excellent book on said topic - Common Sense and lack thereof- >

Extract from said book --> http://www.ourcivilisation.com/signs/deadsens.htm

Ed W1XAW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 12:15:05 PM »

If the goverment really cared about bad influences on children, they would ban rap and so-called "hip hop" music from sale.
The lyrics in those songs, combined with the decandent lifestyle of the "artists", is a far worse influence than a image of a mean Elf on a beer bottle.
Plus there is a direct and proven cause and effect --> http://my.webmd.com/content/article/61/68559.htm

But it would be policitally incorrect for our elected leaders to go after rap "music", its much easier to attack a more PC target like beer, after all "its for the children"!

Great Website Bruce:

Same one you used to bring up in the old days. For those that are not familiar,  the website is by a fellow that understands everything about culture, the dangers of mixing cultures, and oh yeah, provides space for important "revealers of the truth" like the guy who debunks the idea that HIV causes AIDS,  a real piece of work and agood candidate for the UFO Net should he become licensed. 

Your right, not politics, just pure hackery. 

Ed

kc2ifr
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 12:17:09 PM »

Truer words were never spoke.......This rap sh#% is just that.....sh#%. "Artists"..........they are nothing more than street trash that belong behind bars. With some luck.....they will continue to kill each other and save the industry a lot of trouble.
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 12:20:33 PM »

Great Website Bruce:

Same one you used to bring up in the old days. For those that are not familiar,  website the by a fellow that understands everything about culture, the dangers of mixing cultures, and oh yeah, provides space for important "revealers of the truth" like the guy who debunks the idea that HIV causes AIDS,  a real piece of work and agood candidate for the UFO Net should he become licensed. 

Your right, not politics, just pure hackery. 

Ed

Love the link where they rail against the Judgement of Nuremburg as pure allied vengeance.  Beautiful reasoning,  I'll take hip hop over this madness any day of the week. 
W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 12:22:42 PM »

Truer words were never spoke.......This rap sh#% is just that.....sh#%. "Artists"..........they are nothing more than street trash that belong behing bars. With some luck.....they will continue to kill each other and save the industry a lot of trouble.

Amen to that Bill.

Did you ever get Jamie's TX going, and by the way where is Jamie?
-Bruce
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 12:24:55 PM »

Truer words were never spoke.......This rap sh#% is just that.....sh#%. "Artists"..........they are nothing more than street trash that belong behind bars. With some luck.....they will continue to kill each other and save the industry a lot of trouble.

Sure just look what happened when our forefathers failed to stamp out jazz.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 12:41:50 PM »

For out-there, gonzo imagery, the prize belongs to Flying Dog Brewing Co. of Denver. Their "litter of beers" is an impressive line up, but doesn't seek to push the taste envelope. That job is reserved for the beer's names--Doggie Style, On Heat Wheat, Tire Biter, Snake Dog--and the ink-splattered label illustrations provided by British artist Ralph Steadman.

In fact, Flying Dog pushed the taste envelope right into the courts. In 1995, the Steadman label for Road Dog Ale, bearing the words "Good beer, no shit," got the Scottish ale pulled from Colorado shelves. While Flying Dog and the ACLU brought a lawsuit against Colorado Liquor Enforcement, the label bore the legend "Good beer, no censorship."

Last month, Flying Dog won their case. Woof.

However, last time I bought some Flying Dog, I noticed the phrase had been airbrushed out of the label.

http://www.allaboutbeer.com/features/225dogsandbeer.html

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 12:53:32 PM »

I had some "Slap My Ass And Call Me Sally" hot sauce last night, so we are probably still o.k. here in Maine.  My brother in law won some award for "Chicken Killer Barley Wine" in NM so either PETA is asleep at the wheel or its ok out in NM.  I hope a good lawyer makes mincemeat out of the CT law.  The absurdity of government should never be underestimated.  I make my living checking our compliance against Federal Regs.  and some things the government comes up with are beyond belief. 
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 04:16:09 PM »

If you really want laugh at the stupidity of it all, check out this link: http://www.dumblaws.com/

An example, here in Danville, you must check all fire hydrants an hour before a fire Huh

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1UJR
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 05:51:40 PM »

If you really want laugh at the stupidity of it all, check out this link: http://www.dumblaws.com/

An example, here in Danville, you must check all fire hydrants an hour before a fire Huh

It does sound crazy Mike, but I bet that the law means before a "controlled burn", ex. burning down a house by a local fire department.

Still, I checked the website you suggested, and was shocked to find that I am required to take my shotgun to church in the event of a Indian attack.
Guess I'll have to go clean and polish Old Molly so she looks presentable for Sunday's meeting.  Shocked

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 06:15:58 PM »

Bruce said:
It does sound crazy Mike, but I bet that the law means before a "controlled burn", ex. burning down a house by a local fire department.

Still, I checked the website you suggested, and was shocked to find that I am required to take my shotgun to church in the event of a Indian attack.
Guess I'll have to go clean and polish Old Molly so she looks presentable for Sunday's meeting.

One would be left to assume that, but it does not specify. However wouldn't that make the preacher's jaw drop if he saw you with 'Old Molly' sitting in the pew singing 'Onward Christian Soldiers' Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
wa2zdy
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 06:24:14 PM »

It sure is good to know that since my retirement from the world of law enforcement that our tax dollars are still being wisely spent protecting us from our stupid selves. 
kb2mob
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2005, 06:58:24 PM »

Man.. wonder what that politician was drinking when he thought that bill up!

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2005, 02:57:29 AM »

This is sad Cry

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2005, 06:07:52 AM »

There are some pretty funny ones from the Massachusetts.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/massachusetts/

It is illegal to give beer to hospital patients.
Candy may not contain more than 1% of alcohol.
Shooting ranges may not set up targets that resemble human beings.
At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.
Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.
Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their taxi during their shifts.
All men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday.
Hunting on Sundays is prohibited.
It is illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath.
A woman can not be on top in sexual activities.
No gorilla is allowed in the back seat of any car.
Tattooing and body piercing is illegal.
Children may smoke, but they may not purchase cigarettes.
Tomatoes may not be used in the production of clam chowder.
Quakers and witches are banned.
Bullets may not be used as currency.
Massachusetts liquor stores can only open on Sundays if they are in Berkshire, Essex, Franklin, Middlesex or Worcester counties and are within 10 miles of the Vermont or New Hampshire borders.
Alcoholic drink specials are illegal.
Public boxing matches are outlawed.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2JBL

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 12:31:51 AM »

you left out no "dancing or fiddle playing on sunday." at 4am sunday i was playing blues and drinking in front of a crowd of folk at a party which included half naked women. for this i will surely burn in hell, except for the fact that i was in New York when i did it. sure was fun though!
VA3ES - Piss-Weak Ed
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 11:46:34 AM »

We get the "Elf" beer up here.  It's  not the greatest stuff, IMO.  Fairly tasteless lager.  There are literally hundreds of great beers up here, no need to bother with that one. 

However, if you're really in the mood for an imported beer, try "Innis & Gunn" from Scotland. It's a damn fine ale.   A great Canadian range of beers is made by Sleeman's, in Guelph Ontario.  I think they export to the US now.  Try their "Cream Ale", but all of their beers are delightful.
W1UJR
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 12:21:32 PM »

What you really want is real beer, and that only comes from Germany.

Try EKU 28 from 'da Fatherland.
Ya, very good!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/eku-28/6222/

Or my personal best - St. Pauli Girl Dark - "'Cause you never forget your first girl."

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 04:22:27 PM »

St. Pauli Girl Dark Smiley Tasty indeed. Ive been sloshing bottles from Tiny place but really good brew.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2005, 03:27:03 PM »

Update: 

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=4089944

Essentially, the State of CT approves of the sale Seriously Bad Elf beer and deems that the label on the bottle will not appeal to children. 

Cripe there's hope yet for us CT beer drinkers.  Until recently liquor stores were forced to close at 8PM. Now we are able to purchase upto 9PM.  And now we can get Seriously Bad Elf beer. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015