The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:08:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gota put on the waders: Brown stuff getting deep  (Read 19050 times)
WV Hoopie
« on: July 15, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »

Should I ask for a MSDS? This stuff needs to be shared with others. Found it on another thread..........for that good tooooob sound.

http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator/default.htm
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 02:34:53 PM »

Quote from: WV Hoopie
Should I ask for a MSDS? This stuff needs to be shared with others. Found it on another thread..........for that good tooooob sound.

I LOVE IT!

Right up there with high-colonics and copper bracelets!

I'm telling you, I'm in the wrong business! Thanks for passing that along, I'm going to shoot this one over to my drinking buddies at Bose!

--Thom
Keep Away One Zorched Ground Connector
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 02:39:47 PM »

The disclaimer is good:
Attention: Experience has shown, that power transistors in certain circuit topologies CAN over-react to Altmann “Tube-o-lator" lacquer. Over-reaction will lead to a dumb sound (that will make you feel sick), because too many overtones are filtered. If you experience over-reaction of a device, remove the “Tube-o-lator" lacquer with a carpet knife after curing, or wipe away before curing.

Maybe that's the problem on today's amateur bands. Maybe the big 3 manufacturers are using this stuff.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 03:08:44 PM »

Sometime ask W2KBW about his dwindling supply of S-Meter oil.  Apparently when you use that, weak signals (e.g., S-5) get much stronger (e.g. 40 db over).  It's all in the action of the S-Meter. :roll:

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
kc2ifr
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 03:48:43 PM »

Will that stuff work with those Class E things?Huh? Wink
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 04:26:50 PM »

Ok, on a stretch, I can understand the rubber rings someone sells to reduce mircophonics on tubes, but this? This can't be serious..

Aren't there some sort of truth in advertising laws?... I'm sure a good lawyer could make some money on these clowns....

friggin unbelievable!!!!
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 05:11:11 PM »

Wonder what would happen if you dipped your Johnson in it?
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 05:13:55 PM »

I guess I answered my own question... they're located in Germany...

Quote from: Glenn K2KL
Ok, on a stretch, I can understand the rubber rings someone sells to reduce mircophonics on tubes, but this? This can't be serious..

Aren't there some sort of truth in advertising laws?... I'm sure a good lawyer could make some money on these clowns....

friggin unbelievable!!!!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 05:35:22 PM »

Quote from: GEORGE/W2AMR

Make it sound better?????????

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 05:35:30 PM »

I once met a guy who claimed to have spent $30,000 on his CD player. Had to be bungee-mounted so it didn't skip when someone farted in the next house. If I can beleive this guy's claims, he probably spent $1/2M on the whole system, which, incendentally, sounded like ass-warmed-over to my ears.

The guy does have far more money than brains, so he probably really did spend that much.

These guys don't care about good sound, they're into pecker-matching about how much they spent on their systems. Quality be damned, if it costs more, it's better!

friggin unbelievable!!!!

To you and me, yep. To these idiots, any snake oil is good snake oil.

Here's some gems:

"The mechanism behind the filtering abilities of this specifically designed lacquer is of electrical or electromechanical nature." (emphasis added)

...followed immediately by...

"We are not able to provide an accurate description why the "Tube-o-lator" stuff actually works. Maybe some of you guys out there will solve this mystery and tell us." (again, emphasis added)

Specifically designed to do what it does, but we don't know what it does or how it does it, please tell us!

BRILLIANT!

And, of course, right at the very top:

"Attention: This product is no longer available for sale (see ordering information for details)."

Ooops... probably already got sued!

15,000 quatloos to anyone who can cross-reference the chemical composition posted on the site to determine whether it's rubber cement or black fingernail polish.

--Thom
Killer Album One Zappa's Greatest Compositions
W1IA

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 05:51:32 PM »

Quote from: kc2ifr
Will that stuff work with those Class E things?Huh? Wink

No Bill, But I thought you were using it to get that FAT sound...HA

BT

Run What Ya Brung!
W1UJR
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 05:53:09 PM »

Quote from: Herb K2VH
Sometime ask W2KBW about his dwindling supply of S-Meter oil.  Apparently when you use that, weak signals (e.g., S-5) get much stronger (e.g. 40 db over).  It's all in the action of the S-Meter. :roll:

Or Marconi Antenna Wax....
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 06:48:45 PM »

Wow!... what a paradox!

Quote from: KA1ZGC
Specifically designed to do what it does, but we don't know what it does or how it does it, please tell us!

It's probably just torque seal...
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 06:49:39 PM »

Or trap fluid!!  :lol:  :lol:

Quote from: W1UJR

Or Marconi Antenna Wax....
wa2zdy
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 07:02:46 PM »

Oh, oh, the abuse I've taken in my life.  Yet I've never heard it suggested that I be dipped in black magic marker ink  . . .

Chris JOHNSON, WA2ZDY

(Just kidding of course!)
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 07:09:20 PM »

Quote from: wa2zdy

Oh, oh, the abuse I've taken in my life.  Yet I've never heard it suggested that I be dipped in black magic marker ink  . . .

Chris JOHNSON, WA2ZDY

(Just kidding of course!)
Wrong Johnson Buddy. Cheesy
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 07:23:03 PM »

Now I really have seen everything. There is no end to their madness. It only goes to prove that a fool and his money will soon part.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
KA1ZGC
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 01:21:10 PM »

You thought that was bad, take a look at this:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=2

Yes, that's right: wooden volume knobs for a mere $485.00!

The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved.

Proving once again: you ain't got nuthin' if you aint' got wood!

--Thom
Killer Appetizer One Zesty Green Cannabis
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 02:05:49 PM »

I like the quote... "vibrations find there way into the signal path.."

...."dynamics are better"? :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

What's the matter with you Thom! you can't hear the difference between the bakelite knobs and the wood knobs?

geez! why not carbon fibre!.... Joe's right... a fool and his money...

Quote from: KA1ZGC
You thought that was bad, take a look at this:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=2

Yes, that's right: wooden volume knobs for a mere $485.00!

The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved.

Proving once again: you ain't got nuthin' if you aint' got wood!

--Thom
Killer Appetizer One Zesty Green Cannabis
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 02:17:27 PM »

Yep, and the audio cables pictured below cost $1,080.  

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RAM&Product_Code=ACT_SIGN_A

And, this two pot volume control in a wooden box for $6,820.

Unbelieveable. I once ran into a telescope guy who tried to sell me
one of those tube 10W amplifiers for $22,000. He had a crazy look in
his eyes as he pitched me.

After reading the sales brouchures on this kind of stuff, I think most
is written by technical con men and the sheep followers believe it to
be gospel - the sheep have good intentions, just like any cult member in
the ranks.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »

"Left is dit and right is dah, decode this message and I'll drop my bra."

Tom Vu show you how to get rich and have big orgasm with no money down.

Go Duke![/b]
Herb K2VH

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 02:33:40 PM »

The only wood I see in these ads in in the heads of the idiots who buy this crap!

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2005, 02:34:44 PM »

I was once shopping at Home Depot for some rubber covered, 12awg stranded copper wire to use as speaker wire for my guitar cabinets. Found some great stuff, cheap price, and as the guy in the orange vest was measuring some lengths for me he asked me "what ya gonna use this for?"... I said uh, speaker wire.. he said "oh no! you can't use this for speaker wire!!!... I said "and why not?" his answer was "because it will cause interference".... no joke!!  :lol:  :lol:
Herb K2VH

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2005, 02:38:07 PM »

Oh yeah, Glenn, I know about that.  It's called HWSI -- Heavy Wire Speaker Interference.  It's very dangerous!! :p

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2005, 02:43:58 PM »

The guy went on to tell me you have to use wire that is specifically designated as "speaker wire"... I was about to ask him... what the difference was but I had just eaten and didn't want to spit-up at his answer.

Oh yea! I've heard of that HWSI Herb, causes unwanted vibrations in the human body, and possible uncontrolled random dancing  :lol:  :lol:

Oh yeah, Glenn, I know about that.  It's called HWSI -- Heavy Wire Speaker Interference.  It's very dangerous!! :p
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015