The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:32:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Fellas take a look at this Kit.  (Read 8943 times)
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« on: July 23, 2005, 03:32:33 PM »

http://www.getboost.com/dz/sienna.htm

I found this in QST while reading.
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 04:13:25 PM »

Neat link Jack.

I love kits, but check out the last line on the website:

"The Sienna will be available about September 1, 2005.
We expect the entry level price to be about $3000, with options taking it up to about $6K fully loaded."

For 6 large, even 3 large I could buy some very fine business boatanchors to take apart and kit. I bet I could reproduce the Johnson Ranger kit for less than $1.5K if parts were sourced from Asia.

I have to think you are going to have a very small market of folks who want to dump $3k on a kit.

Now the folks at Elecraft, www.elecraft.com have the right idea.
$300-500 kits, QRP, but still kool.

W1UJR...Keeping Amateur Radio alive, one electron at a time.

.[/b]
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 04:14:16 PM »

Saw the model at Dayton this year. Estimated, $3K base price, up to $6K for bells and whistles.

Would you spend 3 to 6K for a kit/semi-kit from a company that has no major track record?

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1GFH
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 05:01:50 PM »

Plugging prebuilt boards together with prebuilt cables is not kit-building, and it's probably not as fun as the olde style construction.

This winter the Houston qrp club started developing an Ameco AC-1 clone kit (6V6 xtal oscillator) but I think the project got bogged down in club politics and inertia.

http://www.qsl.net/wb1gfh/hameco.html

As I recall, the best they could estimate after sourcing parts and prestamped chassis was a retail price of around $170 per unit.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 05:34:58 PM »

I stopped reading at the line "Built in PC running Windows XP"  Horrors.  If it didn't have that I might be interested.  Maybe if I paid extra they'd  take that part out.
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 06:40:47 PM »

no way I'd ever paid dollars like that for a xcvr. I still think
the IC-735 is the best bang for the $ I ever got!

am forever!
W1UJR
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 06:52:57 PM »

Quote from: W1GFH
Plugging prebuilt boards together with prebuilt cables is not kit-building, and it's probably not as fun as the olde style construction.

This winter the Houston qrp club started developing an Ameco AC-1 clone kit (6V6 xtal oscillator) but I think the project got bogged down in club politics and inertia.

http://www.qsl.net/wb1gfh/hameco.html

As I recall, the best they could estimate after sourcing parts and prestamped chassis was a retail price of around $170 per unit.

Frank,
Thanks for that link, that is a very cool kit!
$170 is a deal for that level of quality.
I do hope they produce it.

-Bruce
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 12:44:17 AM »

Cheesy Hi guys,

Yea i was interested in how he compares pricing then and today, although it is comparable, Still 3 grand is 3 grand which i don't have to spare, no matter where the value of the dollar is.
W8AMD
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 03:59:20 AM »

Quote from: K6JEK
I stopped reading at the line "Built in PC running Windows XP"  Horrors.  If it didn't have that I might be interested.  Maybe if I paid extra they'd  take that part out.

If you read on to the second page you find that the built in pc is an option.  Interesting find but way too pricy for my blood.

Larry
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 07:23:55 AM »

I guess them fellas that designed and marketed that rig must have forgotten the golden rule of ham radio people: We are so tight with the $$ that we make Lincoln weep because we are squeezing him so hard! That's why we have "Hamfests".

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 09:27:54 AM »

Quote from: W3SLK
I guess them fellas that designed and marketed that rig must have forgotten the golden rule of ham radio people: We are so tight with the $$ that we make Lincoln weep because we are squeezing him so hard! That's why we have "Hamfests".

Mike(y),
           Oh so true! I guess their marketing people don't know much about Hams. Most of us have deep pockets and short arms!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
kc2ifr
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 04:42:16 PM »

OR.........most hams wouldn't pay a quarter to see the Statue of Liberty lift her leg and pee in New York harbor......... :badgrin:
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 12:49:10 PM »

I can get an unassembled Heathkit on E-bay for $3000  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 02:26:04 PM »

The Sienna will be available about September 1, 2005. We expect the entry level price to be about $3000, with options taking it up to about $6K fully loaded. Orders are being accepted, but because of the long lead times, we will not accept money until the product actually ships. Please email us with your comments, questions or to be placed on the waiting list.

Wonder how they did their marketing study?   I'd guess they're looking to see how much interest this generates.   I'd guess not a lot at those prices.
Even with his analysis of Heathkit's prices adjusted for inflation, it seems like quite a stretch.
http://www.getboost.com/dz/about_dzkit.htm

Go Duke![/b]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015