The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:58:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: indicator lights for Ranger, Ranger II  (Read 777 times)
ns7h

« on: September 03, 2023, 10:26:13 AM »

This is not necessarily a technical post.  It is a question of why Johnson has a power on indicator light (I3 on Ranger Schematic) and the front panel has a jewel light (green) BUT NO LIGHT or empty fixture was present or any indication that it was ever there.  No witness marks or holes in panel for the light fixture.  I have several ham friends with Rangers, Ranger IIs with similar transmitters.   Mine was built as a kit and is an early model.  Did the factory built units have an I3 indicator "on" light?  It seems strange to have it in the circuit diagram and no provision for the actual light.

Any historians can answer this question?

Thanks - NS7H
W1GFH

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 08:48:23 AM »

I'm no historian, but here's my guess. The Valiant, Navigator, Ranger, etc. all used the same VFO dial escutcheon. The Valiant featured a functional green power and red transmit lamp. The other models only featured a power lamp, and left the other lamp housing empty. As for why it was on one schematic but not present in the unit, I haven't a clue.
ns7h

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 01:46:57 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  One Ranger II owner I know has a green lamp.  It may have been a mod added by someone (like me) who wanted that functionality.  I have a green LED I am going to install in the lamp, but the jewel is red, so red and green make??

Thanks again.  I have asked Terry at D-LAB if the factory radios vs kit may have the indicator.  No response yet, but the general consensus is "I DUNNO".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015