The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:11:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BC-939 - is it of any practical use?  (Read 3612 times)
Tom W2ILA

« on: February 23, 2023, 01:11:22 PM »

My BC-939 has been getting dragged around for decades.  I have used it as a footstool, stepladder, jackstand, work bench, counterweight etc.  But I have yet to find a practical use for it in the radio department.  There have been quite a few articles written by hams testing its practical use.  But, the only conclusion that seems to resonate (no pun intended) is that it shines with short vertical antennas such as would be found with a mobile milspec installation. 

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=24552.0

Anyone using their BC-939, stock or in modified form, for a practical use in their shack?
KA3EKH

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 10:55:38 AM »

Thought about picking one of them up once or twice,  but looking at the design don’t see where it would be very useful beyond loading a short vertical at high power. Think if I had one would rather pick up one that’s been hacked being that way can feel good about doing things like swapping the RF Ammeter to a SWR meter and adding a variable capacitor and the like. I have noticed that they have been going down in value over the last couple years, saw them out at Dayton and other hamfest where they were complete and not bad looking that did not sell for $250 Think about the only way I would want one these days is if I had a BC-610 or T-368 transmitter to put it on top of.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 10:23:38 PM »

There are two carcasses here, with pretty much only the 90uH variable coils left. Maybe those could be used together in a balanced matcher.

I had a complete and very nice one. I didn't have a good use for it and didn't want to strip it for parts. Sold it to a collector.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 08:35:25 AM »

Think you answered your own question - They would be great for either mobile installation strapped into the back of a pickup truck or use in the field with a portable vertical antenna system.  Or you could permanently put in in a doghouse enclosure at the base of a vertical at the home station. i think it would look good in the back of your truck or  the jeep with a big honkin' military whip. i wouldn't hack it up.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 12:52:31 AM »

Not making an ad, but Haney Electronics Company has surplus military whip antennas and he's reasonable and honest. Over time I've bought about a dozen from him, and at least 6 radio sets.

I used to use the whips on my old M35 truck. You can add and remove the lower sections up to a point to change the length. I used to run mine at about 9 FT when driving.

The HF whip is on the right side in the image.
https://bunkerofdoom.com/txsg/2006ftx1/100_1427.jpg

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015