The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:30:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How about this upcoming FM broadcast!  (Read 17664 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 08:03:19 AM »

BTW,ON JUNE 11,WHAT IS THE TIME OF THE BROADCAST?..73..TIM...SK..

Hi Tim...... Page one of this thread,the 5th post down by KD0HG has a link to the stations website. I don't recall reading a timebut I may have just missed it.

I saw that Empire of the Air on our local PMS station a few times.
It points out the difference between Armstrong the engineer, who actually understood what went on inside the glass of a tube, and De Forest the tinkerer !
ve6pg

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2005, 08:38:43 AM »

RIGHT ON BUD..I'LL LOOK INTO THAT..IT WAS A GREAT SHOW,AND UR RIGHT,DEFOREST COULDNT EXPLAIN HOW THINGS WORKED..AND HE WAS ANOTHER COLOURFUL CHARACTER,SUING EVERYONE IN SIGHT.LEFT PENNILESS BY HIS OWN DETERMINATION TO FIGHT EVERYONE. AMAZING WHEN YOU THINK OF IT,ALL THE CON-ARTISTS THAT PREVAILED IN EARLIER TIMES. SEEMS TO ME THAT EDISON SCREWED PEOPLE ALONG THE WAY AS WELL..SARNOFF HAD THE BACKING OF RCA,OF COURSE,AND AMAZING THAT THE 40MC BAND WAS DETERMINED AFTER THE WAR NOT TO BE USED FOR BROADCASTING..SARNOFF AGAIN,BIG MONEY,GOVERNMENTS,AND PEOPLE WITH INFLUENCE DICTATING THE FUTURE,FOR US WITH ONLY THEIR OWN INTERESTS IN MIND...TIM...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2005, 09:43:22 AM »

AHHHH.

The broadcast will start at High Noon !!!!
WB2CAU

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2005, 09:52:16 AM »

Not everyone has a scanner capable of wideband FM (myself included).  However, most junk collectors (hams) do have an assortment of conventional FM receivers and tuners around that, of course, have wideband IFs at 10.7 MHz.  

I also believe that the majority of scanners covering 40.8 or 42.8 only have narrow FM IFs at 10.7 MHz.  Why not run some coax from the scanner IF (at the input before the filters) and feed it to the IF of the FM broadcast receiver?  You'll have the correct passband for wide FM and the 75us de-emphasis preceding the audio output.  It HAS to work!

If my workbench were set-up I'd try it myself... but it isn't so I can't.

Eric - WB2CAU

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
ve6pg

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2005, 10:59:12 AM »

MOST OF THE NEWER RIGS WILL TUNE THIS.. I BELIEVE MY IC706 WILL DO WBFM,BUT I THINK MY FT847 WILL TUNE THIS FREQ,BUT NOT WBFM...HAVE A HAMFEST TO ATTEND THAT DAY,BUT SHOULD BE BACK IN THE SHACK LATER IN THE DAY..GOTTA SEE ABOUT GETTING SOME MORE HVY IRON..TIM..SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
wb1aij
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2005, 03:12:55 PM »

About a year ago I picked up a beautiful like new condition Hallicrafters FM receiver that covered from 40 to 50 mhz. It cost me all of $2.00 so I couldn't refuse it. I turned it on when I got it home and of course there was nothing to hear but hiss. This broadcast will give me probably the only opportunity I will ever have to actually hear something coming out of this receiver. I am looking forward to it & I am going to film the receiver and hopefully the audio on my video camera.

bob
WB1AIJ
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2005, 03:20:17 PM »

My FT-100D ricer mobile rig will do WBFM, all you need to do is when NBFM (like 2 meters) is selected, push and hold the RX mode button to toggle it to wideband. I think the IC-706 works similarly.
Real thumping bass out of that 2-1/2" speaker....
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2005, 03:21:46 PM »

I like Eric's idea because it seems JS. Nothing like a JS to make stuff do new things. Also have a 70's Allied 6 band portable that will do the correct detection + de-emphasis if I can figure out how to get the broadcast FM I.F. to work on the public service band. Bandswitch is in the open and only has about 95 connections.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2005, 06:10:26 PM »

From today's M Street:

------------------------------

The frequency is confirmed as 42.8 MC.

"Citadel Chief Engineer Philip Galasso (K2PG) notes that scanner receivers with a wideband FM mode should be able to receive the broadcast on Armstrong's pre-WWII FM frequency. The broadcast begins at noon, EDT and will be simulcast on WFDU's normal frequency of 89.1 and online at wfdu.fm"

-bill
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2005, 01:41:39 PM »

Don't forget this weekend. Besides the VHF/UHF Contest, this one is still on:

http://alpha.fdu.edu/wfdu/wfdufm/index2.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015