Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/11/d132647312/htdocs/Amfone/mkportal/include/SMF/smf_out.php on line 47
Buzzing Transformer when Audio is turned up on Viking Ranger?

The AM Forum
November 30, 2021, 04:24:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buzzing Transformer when Audio is turned up on Viking Ranger?  (Read 124 times)
VA3ACJ

« on: November 23, 2021, 02:50:07 AM »

Hi Everyone, I've been having an interesting problem and can't seem to locate the fault yet as to why my Viking Ranger is doing this.
Problem is: low but loud enough to hear high pitched buzzing, more of a screeching from the LP1 Transformer when the "Audio" is more than 1/4 the way turned up.
Note: It goes away on Transmit.

-No mic connected (but it will do so even if mic is connected)
-Dummy load or Antenna or nothing at all on the back no difference will so the same thing.
-Properly tuned on 75m Band
-Checked for bad tubes
-Checked for bad Caps (was re-capped)
-Checked for bad resistors
-Had the mod done with the "in-tube-socket" keying circuit.
Note: if I bring the Audio knob right to the threshold just before it screeches I can trigger the noise by hooking up the mic and keying and UN-keying the transmitter. This is pointing me to the relay or PCB that was installed however I may be overlooking something?

Question: Is it normal for the Johnson Viking Ranger to have a screeching in the transmitter when (not being keyed) if the [Audio] is more then 1/4 opened? If not (as I suspect) what then might be the cause of such a thing?

Thank you all for your time and comments.
Samson VA3ACJ
Have a great week everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone 2001-2015