The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:18:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WD40 and pot cleaning  (Read 4287 times)
W4AMV

« on: September 12, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »

I have read where WD40 is not a proper cleaning solution for pots. There is no specification as to the quality of WD40 as a contact cleaner or something with a conductive property. However, that said, this 4-400A amplifier I inherited had a few bad pots.  One in particular after 30 years in the attic was frozen solid. You would not be able to turn the shaft with a 10 ft crowbar. Nothing to loose, I spayed what openings were available with WD and let it sit over night. Amazing. Turns as smooth as a baby bottom. The measured R with rotation is smooth, no bumps, no interrupts. Like new.

YMMV,

Alan
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 02:18:38 PM »

Ok to free up a shaft.
Not good long-term for the carbon track in the pot.
Deoxit is the stuff of choice for that.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »

Weasel P*ss, as a friend calls WD-40, is probably fine for the initial loosening up, but once it's moving freely I'd flush it out with Deoxit.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
W4AMV

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 04:46:10 PM »

Great feedback. OK, that is a fair approach, as I was really doubtful that Deoxit would cut to the chase and free this pot up. As it was, it was useless. A follow up to restore long term conductivity makes sense.

Thanks,
Alan
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »

A quote from Don, K4KYV :

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=14071.0

“For years, I have used WD-40.  It works better than any contact cleaner I have ever tried.”

“My AF gain control on my 75A-4 used to be noisy.  I would use cleaner that was specifically designed for cleaning controls; it would work for 2-3 months and then the control would gradually become noisy again.”

“As a  last resort, I tried WD-40, before changing out the pot.  That quietened it, and now after 10 years, it is still quiet.  Since then, I have used nothing else on switches and controls.  The oily residue evaporates, leaving behind a film of dry lubricant.”

“I have never had it to dissolve any kind of plastic.”

Notice he said “after 10 years , it is still quiet.”

Interesting!

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »

The maker of DeOxit also makes a potentiometer cleaner that will not affect the resistive carbon arc that is inside most potentiometers.

For 2W and 5W WW power potentiometers I use regular DeOxit spray.

Phil

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WA5VGO

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 11:32:46 AM »

I agree with Don Chester. I’ve been using WD-40 for decades. I’ve had no long term issues using it and it’s hands down the best cleaner I’ve found.
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »

How is it on dirty switches? I use Deoxit D5 on switches in audio amps, and it does not last.
Larry
WA5VGO

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 11:47:42 AM »

It’s excellent on slide switches. If I tried it on rotary switches, I’d use it cautiously. It does leave a lubricant behind. Maybe use a Q-Tip to apply it.

The advice to use sparingly applies to pots and slide switches as well. It’s fine to spray those, but use a tiny squirt. It takes very little.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 06:41:21 PM »

That's interesting to note that it works well with electronics. I use it for many things but I don't like the smell of it. Some people spray fishing bait with it claiming that there is fish oil in it?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KL7OF

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 09:57:02 PM »

Water Displacement formula 40.......I worked many years in Alaska.  WD 40 is a necessity for life up there. It is everywhere ....homes, shops, cars,boats, sno go, quad, cabin,airplane,gun room, net locker, smoke house,steam bath,bunkhouse,fish locker, meat room, generator shed,.....dries out ignitions..(yes we still have points) frees stuck light bulbs..lubes WHATEVER needs to be lubed...Gets the moisture out of almost anything....I have NEVER had any harm come from using WD 40 on anything...that and Duct tape ......Hack artist dream.....
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 08:56:49 AM »

WD40 also worked great for removing water from a distributor after hitting a huge puddle.

Rumor around San Diego (it is / was made there) was that it was made for the military Jeeps that would get water under the distributor.

Lots of voltage flying around the distributors.......

Don't know how true the rumor was, but it worked great for that purpose, I can attest to as a teenager who loved going mudding in the 4x4.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015