The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:22:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deoxit. What type to use??  (Read 22882 times)
w5kcm

Johnson Ranger 1,Courier Amp, Hammarlund HQ-170

« on: March 17, 2008, 06:53:22 PM »

I hear everyone talking about Deoxit to clean switches and controls. I was looking on the CAIG Labs web site and there seems to be a lot of different type of Deoxits Huh for a range of prices from 14.95 to 21.95 for a spray can. In the aerosol cans they show types D5, DN5, D100. What is recommended for normal boatanchor restores?Has anyone found a good source for this or do you buy it direct from CAIG Labs?
ka3zlr
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:29:33 PM »

Hi Randy how are you,

To be honest...myself i don't buy into the deoxit program..for the contents recieved and what is payed for it never balances out..and there is the shelf life to consider..of course this is my opinon..But i do use a CRC brand cleaner it doesn't seem to melt things and Paint...only done outside of course when needed.. I do use rubbing Alcohol alot and i do my lubricating by hand and not spray..it's something that i like to do...you do have to be careful which Deoxit you use though..

my 2cts om.73..
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 07:40:34 PM »

I've used the D5 stuff for years. Seems to work very well on switch contacts and controls. There's a flea market vendor that travels the  Northeast/mid-Atlantic circuit selling them for $5.00 a can.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w5kcm

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:14:20 PM »

Very good info. Thanks.
73, Randy, W5KCM
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:23:49 AM »

For years, I have used WD-40.  It works better than any contact cleaner I have ever tried.

My AF gain control on my 75A-4 used to be noisy.  I would use cleaner that was specifically designed for cleaning controls; it would work for 2-3 months and then the control would gradually become noisy again.

As a  last resort, I tried WD-40, before changing out the pot.  That quietened it, and now after 10 years, it is still quiet.  Since then, I have used nothing else on switches and controls.  The oily residue evaporates, leaving behind a film of dry lubricant.

I have never had it to dissolve any kind of plastic.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 03:51:31 AM »

Well I'm up and listening...there must be a front coming through man my legs are aching...wow..

Anyhow,

WD's great stuff.. it works well..If I were a bench Tech today cycling equipment on demand hey by all means spend the money and follow Deoxit's program they have a multitude of sprays and work at differing applications..i won't say the stuff doesn't work...you can recoup your costs at that level, or the Shop pays for it and what do you have invested....

On our level, rebuilding things and maintenance..be frugal... what's the hurry...be clean about your work...and a big thing Take the spray nozzle off when your done..some of these answers to a tech's intermittent's.."Leak" at the nozzle..Can dissipation shelf life... you put it up and a month or two later when you reach for it and it's empty you'll kick yourself to like I've done....

I never liked to just "Spray" a component in circuit.. not only have you sprayed it but all surrounding devices and cabinetry are whetted....yea it may solve a problem but is this good work  ..it's your device make that call when needed..

I like Alcohol for cleaning good soapy Hot water and so forth,..i like sprays for dissolving flux and circuit dirt and residue..

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:23:12 AM »

I use wd 40 followed with a blasts of 150 psi air after letting it sit a minute or 2 on pots and rheostats,  tarn x on silver plated tank coils, switches.

*note* REALLY IMPORTANT to get all the liquid carrier out before you apply any juice. that's why the air. For solder flux use a dedicated flux removal spray.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »

I have never had any problem with the liquid carrier causing any problems, but I normally use the little hollow tube to direct the spray at the target component.  The AF gain pot doesn't have enough voltage on it to cause any problem, and I try to wipe away any visible liquid with a cloth.  It usually evaporates on its own accord in a short while.

Since WD-40 is recommended by the manufacturer for high voltage applications like cleaning moisture condensation from distributor caps, I wouldn't think it would cause any electrical problems if it stands up to tens of kilovolts in automotive ignition systems.

I have a large heavy duty rotary inductor in one of my antenna tuners.  It uses a sliding contact instead of a roller, and it would arc and spark ever time I tried to adjust it while it was carrying RF, even though I had cleaned the contact area  to a bright copper finish using steel wool (the coil is unplated).  I lubricated it with WD-40, and it has never sparked since.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »

I've used WD-40 on many things, but never thought of it as a control cleaner/lubricator.  Thanks, Don, I'll give it a shot.  (pun intended!)

Rick/K5IAR
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 05:28:46 PM »

I have a several cans of the original Caig D5 and R5 stuff, before they changed their formulations because of the freon issue years ago. They used to call it cramolin. Their old stuff works a lot better than what Caig is producing today.

I've used the D5 and the Dn5 and I like the Dn5 because it's close to their earlier D5.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KE2EE

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:02:24 AM »

After giving up looking for Caig products in local electronics stores , I found a can of De-oxit D5 stuff at my local GUITAR CENTER store. They had most of the line of Caig products. It works well on volume and switch contacts,
without melting plastic parts.
Mike
ka3zlr
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 04:51:59 AM »

There is alot of effective choice's to make out there, in consideration of your shop environment mind your air space..I'm no environmentalist and i liked the older D5 like Bob.. but mind your ventilation with these Spray Chemicals...
wd8das

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »

Caig's DeOxit "D5" formulation, which I believe is a 5% solution, is my best all-around contact cleaner.  I have many years' experience using it at work and home, from the days of red and blue Cramolin liquid in the little jars to the current products, and it has always done a good job with no bad side effects. 

I always make an effort to put the cleaner only on the contact points in question, if I can.  I spray some into a plastic 35m film can and keep it on the bench, and use a small screwdriver or other probe to pick up a drop to put onto contacts directly.  But I also don't hesitate to spray D5 directly into a slide-switch assembly or potentiometer where I can't see the contacts - works great.

I do know a few guys who have used the thicker D100 and other spray and liquid products on relays and had some trouble - they put so much on and let it dry there that it "glued" the contacts together!   But that's the only negative experience I know of with DeOxit or Cramolin, and I would consider that human error actually.

Steve WD8DAS

wd8das

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »

>they put so much on and let it dry there that it "glued" the contacts together!   

I should have mentioned that when I came along to help in these situation I used D5 to help clean the other stuff out and all was well...

Steve WD8DAS

wd8das

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »

>Has anyone found a good source for this

I usually buy it online from MCM Electronics on sale for about $12 a can.

Radio Shack sells a pack of two small aerosol canisters in their stores, DeOxit and ProGold.  It is expensive there, but convenient.  It is their number 64-4338.

Steve WD8DAS

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 03:32:29 PM »

You can now buy directly from Caig too.  The last time I looked they didn't have direct sales.  Not sure if there's a cost benefit by going direct.

Steve, do you run a business?  The reason I ask is MCM will not sell chemicals unless the buyer produces a tax ID number.  I've been denied many at time because I'm purchasing them for my own personal use.

I don't understand their logic. Everyone else will sell to a non-business.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »

You can now buy directly from Caig too.  The last time I looked they didn't have direct sales.  Not sure if there's a cost benefit by going direct.

Steve, do you run a business?  The reason I ask is MCM will not sell chemicals unless the buyer produces a tax ID number.  I've been denied many at time because I'm purchasing them for my own personal use.

I don't understand their logic. Everyone else will sell to a non-business.

I went through their online ordering process, after I clicked on several chemical items, and no where did they ask for a tax ID number. There are five states where they can charge Sales Tax.  "The Company charges local sales tax for OH, NV, MN, CA, and IN, unless Customer has a valid sales tax exemption certificate on file with the Company" Your tax ID number would have to be included on the certificate.

In the past, I've ordered chemicals from Antique Electronic Supply, MCM, and Parts Express, and never was I asked for a tax ID number.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w5kcm

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 09:23:33 AM »

Lots of good info. Thanks. I will give the WD40 a try and see how that goes. Someone years ago gave me a case of this RCI Aerosol Maintenance contact cleaner and it has worked well over the years but it is about gone.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 11:04:08 AM »

It should work to make up a fake tax number and submit it, unless you are in one of the states where they are required to charge tax.  If your state is exempt, no-one could claim that you were attempting any kind of tax fraud.  They can charge tax only to customers in states where the company has a "physical presence".

In the past I have used a fake business name like "KYV Consulting Associates" with my mailing address and printed out a letterhead in order to obtain merchandise from companies that that had policies not to sell to individuals, and it worked. 

I never could understand that logic.  Individuals pay with exactly the same kind of money that businesses do.

- - -
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »

It should work to make up a fake tax number and submit it, unless you are in one of the states where they are required to charge tax.  If your state is exempt, no-one could claim that you were attempting any kind of tax fraud.  They can charge tax only to customers in states where the company has a "physical presence".

In the past I have used a fake business name like "KYV Consulting Associates" with my mailing address and printed out a letterhead in order to obtain merchandise from companies that that had policies not to sell to individuals, and it worked. 

I never could understand that logic.  Individuals pay with exactly the same kind of money that businesses do.

1. Submitting fake information is a crime.
2.  They require information proving your a business because many of the chemicals used in our hobbies can also be used to manufacture illicit narcotics.  Think MCM is the norm, try ordering with a San Diego, Ca address.
3.  Most distributors won't sell to private persons because they are "distributors" or wholesale outlets.  Some of them carry contracts with their legit businesses that require them to NOT compete (non-compete clauses).  Besides, it's bad business to sell to your customers, and their customers as well.

It's the law, a crime, and basic business sense.  Not to say that I'm not guilty of doing the same, although...... Smiley

--Shane
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »

Years ago, the local electronics parts store wouldn't sell tubes and small parts to individuals because they had an agreement with the radio/TV repair shops, who wanted to sell the material at a 100% markup, so you had to order from Allied, Burstein-Applebee or one of the other mail-order vendors.  Finally, they did agree to sell to licensed hams, but a friend of mine told me they wouldn't sell him a set of sweep tubes for a rig, even though he showed them the handbook article for the construction project.

Back when Roger and I published The AM Press/Exchange, we would sometimes use that name as our "business" when it was to our advantage.  I  suppose it was a legitimate business, but we never took out any kind of licence or paid any taxes on it, and  besides, we were lucky to ever break even when we published an issue.

I think the only way you could actually get into trouble for falsely claiming a business to purchase stuff would be if you tried to avoid paying a legitimate tax or otherwise defraud someone out of money or merchandise.

Besides, it wouldn't be worth their while to pursue it unless it involved a large amount of money.

- - -
ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 01:07:15 PM »

I have an Ace in the hole here, a little electronics supply house over in McKeesport Pa. Barno Electronics..he sells all sorts of things and has a very good supply of chemicals on hand..and even sells online..and a goodly choice in Toobies.. Wink

http://www.barnoelectronicscorp.com/

give him a call guys. 800-821-8785

I have in years past bought off of MCM and even traveled to their warehouse down in stubenville..He likes to move volume though...
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 02:55:16 PM »

It has to do with having distributors and their ability to interface more easily with the public. If you sell to the public as well, your distributors won't have much incentive to bother. Since most larger businesses aren't set up for individual sales, it makes sense for them to deal directly with someone else who can interface with the 500 single sales rather than to waste their time. Basically, the distributors do a lot of the annoying legwork and paperwork for you.

As far as the original topic, I've used the DeOxit D5 (Red) and their CaiLube MCL (Blue) for maintaining gear over the last coupla decades, and it works great. Seems they are both the offspring of Cramolin, used in the broadcast and other related industries for years, although not as concentrated as the originals.

The one thing I noticed with the D5 is having to re-treat some controls within a year or so. Their CaiLube (now called FaderLube to appeal to the audio crowd) was described in such a way that it seemed like the better choice for pots. Picked up a can and was very pleased with the results. A small shot fixes most controls, but for problem children, a shot of D5 worked into the control followed later by a shot of the blue stuff seems to do the trick.

WD-40 is the Duct Tape of the aerosol spray world, but doesn't stick around long and you end up re-treating whatever was acting up. It works in a pinch, and is also great for de-gunking things and getting them moving again. Always follow up with a real lube on things like gears and other metal-to-metal contact surfaces. IIRC, WD stands for Water Displacement, which is no doubt why it works well on wet ignition wires, distributor caps, and so on. It wasn't really meant as a lubricant anymore than duct tape was meant to hold car fenders together, but.... Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W8EJO

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »

Trichloro-ethylene in a CO2 propellant. Read the label.

That's what the CRC Electronic Cleaner is.

It's also the same formula found in many brake parts cleaners in auto parts stores at a cheaper price (less than $2.00 per can).

It leaves no residue but does not lubricate as the De-Oxit does but mucho cheaper.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 10:11:19 PM »

WD-40 is the Duct Tape of the aerosol spray world, but doesn't stick around long and you end up re-treating whatever was acting up. It works in a pinch, and is also great for de-gunking things and getting them moving again. Always follow up with a real lube on things like gears and other metal-to-metal contact surfaces. IIRC, WD stands for Water Displacement, which is no doubt why it works well on wet ignition wires, distributor caps, and so on. It wasn't really meant as a lubricant anymore than duct tape was meant to hold car fenders together

I agree it is not the best lubricant for mechanical parts, nor is it the best penetrating oil for frozen or  stuck screws.  But for me, it is the best contact cleaner I have ever used.  The noisy controls stay quiet, and intermittent switches stay functional, while with commercial contact cleaner, allegedly designed for the purpose, the improvement is short lived at best.

I remember when I  lived in Cambridge, MA, back in the 70's, there were loads of old Volvos or Saabs (can't remember which), that looked like miniature versions of 1952 Fords.  90% of those cars appeared to have had one of the fenders cut off with tin snips, and then re-attached with duct tape.

- - -
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015