The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:42:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4-400 GG schematic?  (Read 4971 times)
k7mdo
Contributing

« on: July 07, 2020, 09:40:59 PM »

I have acquired a mostly complete 4-400 GG amplifier.  The problem is that it was the project of a SK whose estate i was tasked with resolving.

The amplifier has a separate power supply that is complete and 99% of the amplifier wiring is finished....  but, there is one hole in the front panel not filled and above it is the stenciled word "level" and inside there is a single wire terminated but in the vicinity of the "empty" hole.

Maybe someone remembers the publication in which this amplifier may have been shown.

It is a a single 6JU6 driving a pair of 6LF6's in grounded grid configuration with those driving a pair of 4-400's also in grounded grid configuration.  

This amplifier could date back to the commonly available sweep tube era.

Anyone seen this configuration before?

Thanks and 73, tom

* Dd.JPG (21.1 KB, 612x408 - viewed 487 times.)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »

Front panel pix?

Labels will tell a lot.

Looks like perhaps that it is intended to be part of a larger rig?
A low level exciter/modulator driving the input??

Perhaps AM, perhaps SSB, or both??

Sure thing is that it wants maybe 1-5 watts max at the input.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W1ITT

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »

A pair of 4-400s in the common grounded grid configuration, with control and screen grids tied to ground will certainly require more than 1 to 5 watts to drive it.  One hundred watts would be more like it, depending on plate voltage.  Years ago, I built a 4-1000 in a grounded grid configuration with usual voltages on both control and screen grids.  The cathode was floated below ground by the amount of the screen voltage.  Even then, it required 80 watts or so to get it moving, although some of that was swamped in a semi-passive input circuit.  Originally it was built in typical GG setup and wanted well over 100 watts drive at 4 kv on the anode.
But the vast majority of ham 4-400 GG amps will use the generic GG circuit that varies hardly at all between tubes.   This can be found in the W6SAI series of "Radio Handbooks", and the ARRL handbooks of old have something similar as well.   What a "level" control on the front panel would be needed for escapes me at the moment.
73 de W1ITT
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »

Where's the final tank circuit?  Or the driver tank circuits?  Is it possible this thing began life as a CB leenyar?
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 02:14:28 PM »

Where's the final tank circuit?  Or the driver tank circuits?  Is it possible this thing began life as a CB leenyar?

That was my thoughts as well. "non-leenyar"  Wink

Jim
Wd5JKO
w7fox

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 08:17:41 PM »

"Level" sounds like an ALC control, but the little coil in the final looks like 11 meters.  Best use it for parts.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 09:40:25 PM »

When I enlarged the picture, it looked to me that the final tubes perhaps are  3-400's, not 4-400's?  That is way better in value nowadays for money and gain. They could also be 3-500's but the age of the transmitter may suggest the latter?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 11:55:18 PM »

I did find a lot of cb equipment in the stash....  The tank circuit looks almost non existent...

Darn.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »

When I enlarged the picture, it looked to me that the final tubes perhaps are  3-400's, not 4-400's?  That is way better in value nowadays for money and gain. They could also be 3-500's but the age of the transmitter may suggest the latter?

Bump

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 12:15:35 AM »

Although they are not marked, when I put a known 4-400a next to them they seem identical ....

Tom
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 12:45:08 AM »

Someone wanted to be the channel master on CB. Double series amplifiers feeding 4-400's and a real small tank coil in the final are the clues. Typical CB rig could drive such a device.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 09:20:08 PM »

That setup - one sweeper driving a pair driving a large tube, each stage grounded gris very likely. The small 3-6 turn coils and the cap sizes - low Q CB range tuning. I've seen this a lot, fortunately and unfortunately.  Wink Some of them only needed a couple of watts to make rated powe (which was much lower than "maximum overdrive").

There's enough room there to change out or otherwise deal with the socket/base cooling and add a blower on top to pressurize the chassis, and maybe fit the plate supply on as well. Got some great potential!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015