The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:20:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My old 4-1000A Transmitter  (Read 3197 times)
Chuck...K1KW
Contributing

« on: April 13, 2020, 02:40:48 PM »

Is up on QTH.com for sale by K1PEK.  Just the final and all power supplies, no modulator.

I had a pair of 833A's modulating this rig.  Decent price, less than I sold it for back in the early 1980's.

I thought I'd put it here instead of the For Sale section since I'm not selling it and the pictures associated with the ad are interesting. 

Totally forgot about that rig but it brought back fond memories of strapping alligators with it!

Just an FYI.... Chuck

73, Chuck...K1KW
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 03:02:48 PM »

Hi Chuck -

Yes, I remember seeing that transmitter over 45 years ago a few times at your shacks in Acton and Pepperell, MA.  My first taste of big audio, big signal AM.  Considering you built it in high school, it was a very nice plate modulated rig. Who except for a few AMers had a 4X1 X 833As at that time? (late 60's)      The OTs were probably jaw dropping.

I looked on QTH.com and saw a few parts by K1PEK, but couldn't find the transmitter.  It would be a tremendous score for someone to grab and homebrew a pair of 833As driven by the GFZ MOSFET audio board.   You might post the link here and I'll bet someone will grab it.  Pity if someone on QTH.com buys it for a linear project.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Chuck...K1KW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 03:53:49 PM »

Yup...looks like he pulled the ad.  Probably sold it.

Oh well, I saved the pictures anyway.

73, Chuck...K1KW
Chuck...K1KW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »

Here is the original ad (copied in Word)

AMPHF - 4-1000A Amp, complete

Single 4-1000A amp,grid driven,80-10m, built by an astute RF engineer, excellent workmanship, 29" hi rack. I last ran this amp on air about 9 years ago,running fine. 3.7 kW output with 130 W drive. Complete set up,ready to go,nothing else needed but your rig to drive it. Comes with Bird wattmeter like new condition with 5 kW element,Dow Key relay, 220 VAC variac,an EXTRA 4-1000 tube. 8 KV xmfr (must weigh > 150 #,) Schematic & notes and all connections (from screen supply, HV supply,etc.) are labeled for hookup. NOTE: I can not demonstrate this because I no longer have an exciter or an antenna.I am in process of moving. The designer and builder is willing to talk to you about it. Given that I can not demo it, I have priced it at below what you could get for selling the parts,wattmeter, variac, HV Sup, etc.SERIOUS ONLY PLEASE: u need to be adequately versed in AMP tech aspects or this AMP is not right for you. Tnx, Steve K1PEK, email for my tel #
$ 950.00 firm. Boston MA area

Listing #1484168 - Click Here to Email, Callsign: K1PEK, Web Site:

73, Chuck...K1KW
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 08:07:17 PM »

A giveaway at that price!

Must have had mondo plate voltage for that output!

--Shane
KD6VXI
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »

Chuck it's still alive on Craigs list..nice pics and the same write up you posted..der ya go!
                    73 de DAVE WB1EAD

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 05:02:41 PM »

I believe Tim got the mod deck from you because when I wuz up at his place long ago, he gave me the mod xformer and reactor out of it and said it came from K1KW AKA you. I traded the mod transformer to someone? The Mod reactor is now in one of my HV supplies as a filter reactor. The chassis and tube sockets are now at Steve's W2TRH place and will be refitted to go into his 450TH rig. Last of all, I remember hearing you on it many moons ago! It sounded just like you even though those Westinghouse mod transformer didn't have much iron in them.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Chuck...K1KW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 07:48:19 PM »

Yes, that is as I remember it.  That 8H Heising reactor is best in a power supply but in modulator service, Dark Side Of the Moon really made the 833A plates light up!

Plus, that Westinghouse mod tranny was also light on inductance.  It took real torque from the 833A's to get audio under 150 CPS through it.

Thanks for the memory!

73, Chuck...K1KW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015