The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:28:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make any 6 meter AM contacts lately?  (Read 12107 times)
n4joy

« on: February 19, 2020, 09:00:43 AM »

The lack of activity in this discussion area seems to parallel my experience over the past five years with 6M AM.  Has anyone been making contacts on 6M AM lately?  Last spring/summer was a huge disappointment for me and there was no activity that I could hear during the recent AM rally--I called CQ in all directions with my beam for sometime but no takers.  I meet weekly (Sunday 19:00 EST on 50.4) with a local ham (WA4BWO).  Otherwise, I haven't made a 6M AM contact in two years despite my efforts.

I hope others have had more success.  It would be great if this was more activity.  All those Gonsets selling on eBay must be sitting on shelves unused!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:58:51 PM »

I check in with a group on 50.4MHz in Rochester on Sunday nights when conditions are good. There's occasional activity here in the Akron, Ohio area too. I just leave the receiver on and squelched.
N1WVQ

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:08:16 PM »

I tried checking into the Sunday afternoon net here in Southeastern Massachusetts on 50.4 to no avail. It appears to not be on any longer.

N1WVQ/V31VQ
n4joy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 11:50:09 AM »

I believe I have made contact with that net in Ohio from Florida about two years ago.  As I recall, it was shocking to hear 6 meter AM activity let alone from several states away!

A few months ago, I finally recorded my CQ after I grew tired of calling many CQs for an hour.  I will likely fall out of my chair in amazement if someone ever comes back to me!

My setup is a three element beam up 30' or with my Lettine 242.  I had contemplated upgrading the beam, but zero activity does not make it a smart investment.     
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 02:22:04 PM »

I'll park the antenna south this weekend, Chris. Maybe bellow out a few calls too!
n4joy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 03:22:45 PM »

I'll park the antenna south this weekend, Chris. Maybe bellow out a few calls too!

That would be great.  Hopefully, I will actually hear another station on the so called "magic" (dead) band.  I will probably be most active Sunday, and my QSO with WA4BWO is at 7pm EST Sunday--but I will send out many calls throughout the day.  I'm going to try to get the beam up another 10 feet as well.  Every little bit might help!
Ed WA4NJY

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 04:08:33 PM »

I will swing my beam east and maybe ground wave will work for us.  Would like to stir up some local AM on 2 meters also.

Ed WA4NJY
   Bradenton, Fl

n4joy

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 04:25:16 PM »

I will swing my beam east and maybe ground wave will work for us.  Would like to stir up some local AM on 2 meters also.

Ed WA4NJY
   Bradenton, Fl

Excellent, Ed.  We are about 90 miles away from each other.  I'll be sure to swing the beam your way as well.  WA4BWO and I are planning to experiment with 2 meter AM in the near future--we both have the rigs and antennas.  We haven't decided on a frequency but we are leaning toward 144.450.  Vertical polarization on 2 meter AM seems to make more sense given most hams will have a vertical or yagi polarized vertically.  I'd buy a serious beam for 2 meters if I knew there would be others on the band!

Chris   
n4joy

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 08:05:42 PM »

Ed WA4NJY
   Bradenton, Fl

Ed,

David, WA4BWO, and I swung our beams around this evening to Tampa and tried calling you.  We could hear the Orlando 6M beacon, so I am guessing we should be coming into Tampa/Bradenton.  We meet up every Sunday at 7pm EST on 50.4 and will listen for you and others.

Chris
Ed WA4NJY

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »

I plan to raise the beam about 10 feet higher and try again next Sunday.

Hope this can work out.  I don't have a vintage 6 meter rig.  Using an ICOM 7300 which does great on AM.

Do you work 40 meter AM?

Ed
n4joy

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 05:09:45 PM »

I plan to raise the beam about 10 feet higher and try again next Sunday.

Hope this can work out.  I don't have a vintage 6 meter rig.  Using an ICOM 7300 which does great on AM.

Do you work 40 meter AM?

Ed

Ed,

AM is AM... any AM activity on 6 meters with any rig would be great!  We'll have the beams pointed your way again this Sunday.  We are going to try 2 meter AM soon.  My GC-105 Gooney Bird is ready to go.   

I do work 40 meters AM as well and generally send out my CQs in the evening while dodging the broadcasters.

Chris, N4JOY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015