The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:43:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eimac 4CX1500B - How to test?  (Read 2408 times)
K2GTM
Contributing

« on: February 24, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »

Hello all,

I've come across six Eimac 4CX1500B "pulls" in varying physical condition.  I'd like to find out if they are viable by doing as many tests as I can.  I can check the filaments for continuity and the other elements for shorts, but I don't have any equipment that can run them.  I also wish I had a megger to do some HV tests...

I heard that at one time a fellow named John at Econco would test them for free, but he has retired.  Does anyone else do this sort of testing?

Thanks and 73!
Greg K2GTM
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »

Econco still tests. 

John would do it for free, depending on mood, customer status, etc.  Correct, I believe he is gone now.

Econco's pricing has gotten out of hand lately.  They have also started charging for banked tubes.....  Prices charged are determined at the time you ask for your tube back, instead of when you sent it in to be rebuilt.  This was a change from a decade or so ago, when I used econco regularly.

There is a company out of Florida, iirc, that tests tubes.  EBay is where I saw them advertised.  Qrz has good reviews of the outfit.

Capacitance checks are one way I test.  If the interelectrode capacitance s are grossly off, I 'dud' the tube, as I look at it as the elements have shifted from factory location or an 'element' (tungsten, etc) may have been stripped from tube element.  This could be purely a feel good move, I don't know.

--Shane
KD6VXI
K2GTM
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:53:52 PM »

Shane,

I talked with a tech at Econco today and he said that they couldn't test that tube because they didn't have the settings for it in their test jig.  He also said that they only test tubes that they rebuild and they don't do these?

I'll do some digging on eBay for that other company...

That's a good idea.  I should be able to accomplish testing for capacitance.  These tubes look a bit rough and are probably no good, but I hate throwing tubes out - even when I know they're dead!

-G
Detroit47

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 01:38:57 AM »

Shane
John C retired
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »

Ahh, that explains a lot.

Last time checked, I about puked when they told me what a 4x5 out of the bank was going to cost.

--Shane
KD6VXI
K5IIA

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 10:58:46 PM »

That is the company that bought freelands tube rebuilding.  I was very disappointed when they instantly layed everyone off, had an auction for equipment, and sold the land and buildings.   I live in the middle of nowhere and it was a 10 to 15 min drive there from my house on just old highways and back roads.   

You can still lookup Freeland online and call them, but it automatically goes to econoco

Money and profit drives it all, but still sucks haha

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015