The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:46:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why spend all that time and money on radials?  (Read 4590 times)
N0WEK
Contributing

« on: January 08, 2017, 04:19:32 PM »

The latest in audiophoolery....

https://www.tweekgeek.com/entreq-ground-boxes/?gclid=CjwKEAiA48fDBRDJ24_imejhwUkSJAAr0M5kxgVZMqGL7DRodZ4b4OnTfPKQRErQOSm4ZpuybttJ7hoC7jLw_wcB

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:49:24 PM »

Gee, I wish I had known about these before putting down all that wire in the pasture. 
These could have served a double purpose of grounding and holding hay or manure.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »

The box can probably also serve as a humidor for your wacky weed....
KC4VWU

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 06:51:16 PM »

You've got to be kidding me!
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:04:51 PM »

Take a look at their other fine products....

Enter Joe Cohen of The Lotus Group and his new "Enhanced Ground Adapters."  These small pods are an outgrowth of Joe's design work with his "Linebacker" AC conditioner and they build on the idea that potentially significant performance improvements are possible by "enhancing" or somehow improving the quality of your system ground. This won't sound like news to anyone who has worked with electric power distribution, but these pods are something else again and how they work is closer to modern-day voodoo.

https://www.tweekgeek.com/pranawire-super-enhanced-ground-plane/

And here is Joe's Linebacker AC conditioner...

Here a layer of undisclosed crystalline material not only gives the cable its bulk but also bestows upon it noise-absorbing qualities. Next to the cable’s crystalline coat the aluminum enclosure also is filled with such material albeit different from the conductor layer to provide additional noise absorption whilst shielding the male plug. Linebacker wraps all leads—hot, neutral and PE—into the same crystalline substance to effectively absorb noise from all three lines. The Linebacker is thus effectively a standard short Satori power cable with a passive noise reducing filter clamped to one end. The already high-quality Oyaide F1 with its palladium and platinum coatings over beryllium copper alloy is further damped by Pranawire to attenuate mechanical resonances.

Only $12,950.00 with all the options

https://www.tweekgeek.com/pranawire-linebacker-gp-se-xe/

You can't make this stuff up! Smiley

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »

Hard to imagine that anyone with THAT MUCH discretionary $$ could be such an ignorant fool!!

Would it scare the c**p out of you IF you knew that the person buying this stuff was your doctor,
dentist or attorney?? Phew!

Quote:"This provides a far more consistent, reliable and potent grounding for your audio system than a grounding rod in your back yard (which you should have as well)."

Say what??

And: "the Entreq boxes is to literally consider them a box of "ground"."
Do they mean a box of DIRT?? But no, the box weighs 99lbs!! and it looks like it is only a modest size, so that leaves
gold, lead and uranium or plutonium inside??

I thought the Sun Mook Pucks took the cake, back last century... but this brings things to a whole NEW level.

"see the giant egress..." PT Barnum

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 08:18:02 AM »

Um, my dad bought four heavy flat, dense flat rock looking things to place under the mounting feet of his rek-o-kut ? turntable. Supposed to damp the table top LF resonances. He swore by them. What could I say, but "Yeah Dad, I can hear it!"

RICK  *W3RSW*
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:26:54 AM »

Well THAT can and may have an audible effect.

It's a mechanical system in a field of vibration - some from the speakers.

You may laugh but I use those air flotation isolation "pods" under one of my turntables, they're 6dof and
self leveling. Same as used on optical benches and electron microscopes! (got 'em cheap and surplus, yeah!)

Others use boxes with sand and a heavy slab on top of that... aka poor man's iso platform.
And others use heavy slabs of rock and sometimes sheets of rubber placed between slabs, etc...

Some just use stuff under the feet.

That "ground box" has to be a joke.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:47 AM »

Um, my dad bought four heavy flat, dense flat rock looking things to place under the mounting feet of his rek-o-kut ? turntable. Supposed to damp the table top LF resonances. He swore by them. What could I say, but "Yeah Dad, I can hear it!"

Well, in that case, your dad was absolutely correct.  No snake oil here!  But it is what you did't hear that mattered, not what you could hear.

Low frequency bass and drum impacts will vibrate the walls and floor.  This causes feedback when the turntable moves the stylus in sympathy with the house movements.  Many of the older record changers, such as Garrard and Webster Chicago mounted the entire turntable assembly on springs to damp the feedback.  Later turntables, such as Acoustic Research, used a rubber damping and heavy platter for the same reason.  But Rek-O-Kut made the motor and turntable assembly rigidly mounted in the turntable base.  I had one with a Weathers 1/2 gram tracking tone arm, and if you crank up the bass, the feedback through the turntable increased rapidly.  I used a foam pad, and a couple layers of heavy pressed board, similar to the MDF we have today.  Feedback gone.  The slate performed the same function.  Moral:  Don't question your dad, even if you CAN'T hear the difference.  He fixed the problem!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »

Who can deny that washing your car and hanging a fresh "Christmas Tree" on the mirror will make your car run better?
If you spend this much, you've already convinced yourself that it will sound better.
KE7NL - Jack
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »

Perfect companion to the ISOTRON!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »

"Don't question your dad, even if you CAN'T hear the difference.  He fixed the problem!"

I didn't dare.  Grin

We used to lie on the living room floor listening mostly to classical music on a typical winter weekend afternoon.

I have older sisters who played the piano.
--A baby grand, and talk about wasting time with nearby chords, I'd lie under it and grab the pedal risers to irk them.  Do you know the 'soft' pedal actually moved the entire keyboard to hit only two of the three strings for all notes from the hammers?

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015