The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:52:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What hath Goodwill wrought?  (Read 4475 times)
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« on: January 05, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »

2000 electrolytic capacitors for $10, new in the box. Just sayin'...

* IMG_1236.JPG (1906.44 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 389 times.)

It’s not just values, it’s business.
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 04:11:42 AM »

Years ago I went to a Ham Swap and found two almost new tires the same size my pickup uses and for almost none thing, they sat in the loft in my garage for a few years before I needed them. You never know....
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »

Hook em all up in parallel !   Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka1tdq

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »

...or series - parallel.  There's enough there to build a filter capacitor for a 3-500 amp!

Jon

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »

...or series - parallel.  There's enough there to build a filter capacitor for a 3-500 amp!

Jon

A string of 200 in series gives you .5uf @ 3200v

Then use 10 strings of 200 each to give you 5 uf @ 3200v...

Then buy 9 more boxes from Goodwill, and do the same:

50uf @ 3200v!!

Jim
Wd5JKO
ka1tdq

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »

Oh, can you imagine?!  I'd be scared to power that thing on. At least, more scared than I usually am the first time I power my stuff on.

Jon

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »

I saw a guy at a ham-fest put 3-4 apparently very heavy and rather tatty looking 1 cubic FT boxes in the dumpster before leaving. Indeed they were heavy because they were full of all kinds of transformers and chokes from fist-size down to 2" cube size. The boxes split open when they hit the bottom of the empty dumpster and I had to get a helper so I could hand the transformers through the dumpster window to him. He had a cart and we filled it up, saved them all. Most have been used or given away by now.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 08:20:59 PM »

Good price.  New, Quantity 2000   100uF 16V caps would cost around $80.00 !

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
ka1tdq

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:22:42 PM »

...and there were two other boxes there.  I just didn't need 6000 electrolytics.  

Every project, I go to Fry's Electronics and pick up a couple.  They're about $2 a piece, so this should pay for itself  shortly.  

I also picked up last weekend from Goodwill a 4' tall all steel enclosure that holds 19" shelves.  There's a door on front and back.  I don't know what to do with it yet, but it has to be the project of projects.  Sort of, the Holy Grail of ideas.  

I can't think of anything yet... I still need to finish my other rig (the one with the 1920's RCA faceplate on it).

Jon

KA2DZT

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 11:34:02 PM »

...and there were two other boxes there.  I just didn't need 6000 electrolytics.  

Every project, I go to Fry's Electronics and pick up a couple.  They're about $2 a piece, so this should pay for itself  shortly.  

I also picked up last weekend from Goodwill a 4' tall all steel enclosure that holds 19" shelves.  There's a door on front and back.  I don't know what to do with it yet, but it has to be the project of projects.  Sort of, the Holy Grail of ideas.  

I can't think of anything yet... I still need to finish my other rig (the one with the 1920's RCA faceplate on it).

Jon

I have a basement full of this kind of stuff.  Cabinets, enclosures of all types just waiting for me to build something in them.  Interestingly I have built about 15 projects in some over the last few years.  Some of the cabinets have been hanging around for 30-40 years.

As far as the caps go,  I have thousands of them,  one size, 47ufd 25v qty 6000,  many other sizes (in large quantities) that i can't remember right now.  Everything from small silver micas to large electrolytics.

Capacitors, probably something north of 100,000 counting the small ones.  Resistors, everything from 1/8w to 300w, easily well over 200,000.  Ask me if I thing I'll ever use all of them.

Jon,  use caution collecting large quantities of parts or you'll end up like me,  hundreds of thousands of parts of all types and nowhere near enough time in life to ever use all of them.

Only good thing is I can probably build just about any project and not have to buy anything.  I also stopped going to hamfests decades ago.  If I think I'd like to go to one, I just walk around my basement.

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015