The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:17:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDRplay and SDRuno hardware/software SDR package  (Read 141053 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« on: July 28, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »

I don't know how many in the forum have seen one of these little SDR receivers but the SDRplay hardware and SDRuno software make for a killer receiver combination. HRO sells the SDRplay hardware for 149 bucks and the SDRuno software is a free download. The software was created for the SDRplay hardware by the guy(s) who created the "Studio One" suite. It can view a maximum of 10 MHz of spectrum and allows you to create as many "Virtual Receivers" (within a 10 MHz swath) as your computer system's USB bus can handle. It is capable of continuous reception between 10 kHz to 2 GHz and does a beautiful job receiving the AM BCB (with AM or Synchronous Detection), the FM BCB (mono or stereo), every ham band up to 2 GHz, the VHF AM aircraft band, the military 200 MHz aircraft band, all the VHF-UHF public service frequencies, the N.O.A.A. weather frequencies and pretty much anything else you can think of.

In the lower left corner of the first picture below you can see the "memory panel" which allows you to create an infinite number of memory banks. You can also import the complete EiBi HF SW Database which is what I have loaded there. A simple click on any of the frequencies in a saved database takes you there instantly. In addition, it does synchronous detection with selectable DSB, LSB, or USB or you can grab the filter skirts (in the panel shown in the upper left of the larger view picture) and create whatever asymmetrical filter you want. Not too shabby!

At any rate, this thing is definitely more than a toy! The heart of it is a 12-bit ADC that produces reception that is remarkably free of spurious crud in the panadapter. I have several YouTube videos that I made of the SDRplay hardware running SDRuno and will add more as I have time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq2K3osyz1M  3 Virtual Receivers positioned simultaneously on the AM BCB, 75m, and 40m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isFtXJv02YU  3 Virtual Receivers positioned to simultaneously monitor Gander and NY Advisory HF aircraft traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrbejzzfoHg  3 Virtual Receivers positioned to simultaneously monitor Bradley International Airport approach and departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZwEHCh7CXk  Tuning around the FM BCB using a memory bank, one-click tuning, and direct frequency entry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92xyyxa-R5Y  The SDRplay running SDRuno with a 10 MHz view from 10 kHz to 10 MHz

This is a great hardware/software package for anyone looking to find a relatively inexpensive path into the SDR world. The performance of this hardware/software package should also be appealing to anyone looking to add a high quality, wide-range receiver to their station. Keep in mind also that the SDRplay hardware is compatible with Simon Brown's SDR Console (versions 2.x and 3.x) and SDRsharp. There may be other software that the SDRplay hardware can run but I have been consumed with figuring out everything that SDRuno can do. My SDRplay/SDRuno combination has been running almost continuously since UPS delivered it earlier this week!

Rob W1AEX

* sdruno full display.jpg (390.96 KB, 1795x958 - viewed 2309 times.)

* vhf aircraft.png (842.79 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 1818 times.)

* 75_160_40.png (827.17 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 1512 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »

I've been using one since a week after the great lightning hit of '16  Grin  I use it remotely with sdr-radio version 2. That software seems to need a bit of twiddling to get the gain settings right to use it well, but once I get that sorted, it works about as well at my SDR-IQ did, with more frequency range. I just downloaded SDRuno based on your videos and look forward to playing with it. Thanks for pointing it out.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:39:37 PM »

Hi Kevin,

The SDRuno learning curve is not trivial but as far as the installation goes it is pretty much plug-and-play for the SDRplay hardware. I would urge you to download and read the excellent "SDRuno Cookbook" written by NN4F and KD2KOG. It definitely saved me from stumbling around in the dark with things like saving multiple workspace setups and setting up virtual receivers:

http://www.nn4f.com/SDRuno-cookbook.pdf

Rob W1AEX

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »

http://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1058

Rob
I've been looking at this receiver, primarily for coverage above 30 mhz. I already use a Flex 6500, so some of my concern is likely related to wondering how much worse this $149 will be. I've played wwith the "dongle" receivers which work, but leave a lot to be desired.

While reading the comments in the above discussion, I'm seeing a lot of mentions that external band pass filters are suggested. Without them, the opinions expressed is thatthe sensitivity is rather poor. I live about 2 miles from a 50 Kw BCB station on 770 khz, so this alone raises some concerns. How many problems have you run into with regards to images and front end overloading?

How about on the AM BCB, how's the sensitivity?
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 01:28:49 PM »

Sensitivity is very good on the AM BCB and with SDRuno you can software-switch the LNA on and off for that band as needed. There is also a gain reduction slider in the software that acts kind of like an RF gain control to allow you to survive in the shadow of a nearby broadcast station. I am about 12 miles away from WTIC 1080 kHz which is a 50 KW broadcaster and their signal was strong enough (almost full-scale on the s-meter) to drive the AGC nuts if I enabled it. They did something to tame that problem with the v1.04 release a few weeks ago but I still prefer to run with the AGC toggled off. I found I can leave the LNA enabled and set the gain reduction to a level where WTIC does not produce any artifacts and I am still able to easily listen to 880 WCBS and 770 WABC (about 100 miles away down in NYC) without any problems at all. That setting also allows me to tune up and down the AM BCB and find all kinds of low-powered hometown stations up and down the east coast. I have also used SDR Console v3.0 (preview release) a few times with my SDRplay and as I recall it might have a more robust "gain control" setup but I'm not absolutely sure about that. With all that being said, I honestly don't know how the SDRplay will behave for you with your 2 mile proximity to WABC.

I do not run any external band pass filters and use a broadband 85 foot vertically oriented triangular loop for VLF to 10 MHz reception and have no issues on any of the lower ham bands with overloading or spurious images. I switch to my 20-17-15-12-10 meter hex beam for the upper bands and use a 3 element beam for 6 meters and the SDRplay with SDRuno works beautifully on those bands. For VHF/UHF reception I use a log periodic Grove Scanner Beam and have found reception on the FM broadcast band and 2m/440/900 to be excellent. The SDRplay uses a 12-bit ADC and an LO setup that is easily adjustable by setting it to an automatic mode, or manual selection of LO presets, or you can simply run any custom LO scheme that you want. You can also run it in "Zero IF" mode and that also works well. Most of us running SDRuno version 1.04 still feel that there is something not quite right with the LO implementation but it does seem to work if you fuss around with it. The performance is way better than the RTL dongles but it is definitely no Flex 6500! You might want to message Jeff - W2NBC as he built a beautiful external band pass filter for his SDRplay and it works beautifully for him.

If you try one of these out I'd be very interested in how it behaves with your proximity to WABC. If you are on Facebook there is a very informative SDRplay-SDRuno user group where some of the developers hang out and respond to questions. You might want to see if they have any predictions about how well the SDRplay does with strong AM BCB stations nearby.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/sdruno/

Rob W1AEX

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »

Thanks - I'm going to follow up on both suggestions. W2NBC's projevt might be just what I'm looking for
W6WAC

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 01:45:22 AM »

I just received my SDRplay last week, haven't at the moment sat down long enough to figure it out.  Question, does the SDRuno have any issues with certain operating systems (or is the operating system having issues with SDRuno?), starting with XP on up?
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 11:47:18 PM »

Does this software or hardware block the 800 MHz former cellular frequencies (or any others), or is it truly continuous tuning?

Thanks,

Kevin.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 09:17:56 AM »

I just received my SDRplay last week, haven't at the moment sat down long enough to figure it out.  Question, does the SDRuno have any issues with certain operating systems (or is the operating system having issues with SDRuno?), starting with XP on up?

So how do you like it? I'm thinking of placing an order for one today.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »

Does this software or hardware block the 800 MHz former cellular frequencies (or any others), or is it truly continuous tuning?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

I never checked that until today. It steps right through everything continuously from VLF to 2.0 GHz. As expected, all I could hear in the old cellular allocation were digital buzz saw signals. I could definitely also see the digital HDTV signals as I stepped through the UHF portion of that allocation.

Rob

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 04:09:54 PM »

With the SDRplay set to receive an 8 MHz swath it's really easy to see all the stuff that goes on in the CMED region of the 462 MHz band. You can use the big spectrum display as a click-tune device and catch a lot of the quick back-and-forth communications that go on there. Although you can create unlimited memory banks for any service or part of the spectrum, the banks are not yet able to be scanned. I saw a post in one of the forums indicating that the developers are looking to implement a scanning feature somewhere down the road, but nothing has been promised in that area.

* cmed frequencies.jpg (230.4 KB, 1640x719 - viewed 1459 times.)

W6WAC

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 09:36:51 PM »

So how do you like it? I'm thinking of placing an order for one today.

First off after ordering it, it arrived in a white wax like envelope instead of a box.  I thought, are you kidding?  When I opened the envelope and looked at the SDRplay in its clear plastic packaging that it was in and noted how small it was, I thought, are you kidding?

I had to ask about if there were any issues involving the OS as the laptop I used didn't shut down properly after installing SDRuno as Windows gave me a warning about the software.  The warning didn't appear again after that.  If anyone hasn't realized it, the computers that one is to use needs a bit of horsepower to be able to fully utilize the features of SDRuno even more so with SDR Console.  The laptop I'm using is 12 years old but had to try anyway.  SDRuno does work but have to operate it with a narrow spectrum display, about 2Mhz max and only one display at that as the CPU is maxed out or nearly maxed out.  I experimented with HDSDR software also and the laptop performed much better with this (with about 60-80% CPU capacity) but doesn't appear to have as much features available as SDRuno or the Console.  I have another newer dual core laptop that worked well with all three programs.  Even with just using the HDSDR on the older laptop, it was very interesting, need to do more experimenting/listening.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »

Ordered mine from HRO in DE and received it the next day. I’m using SDRuno with it. I already use a Flex 6500, so I immediately discovered that many things are done quite differently.

Entering a frequency, via the keyboard is “quirky” For example, if I enter 119.500 (mhz) it often goes to 119.500 khz. I found that I need to select the closest amateur band first than modify the default frequency.

Very preliminary results shows that it does not seem to be especially bothered by WABC 770 khz, just 2 miles away.

Trying to figure out how to change default tuning step, and if a custom bandwidth can be saves.

Need to connect an external speaker to by laptop – the internal speaker is just horrible!

What is SDRuno extio program used for?

Is the LNA gain variable, or just ON / OFF?
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »

Entering a frequency, via the keyboard is “quirky” For example, if I enter 119.500 (mhz) it often goes to 119.500 khz. I found that I need to select the closest amateur band first than modify the default frequency.

Yeah, this is not all that intuitive because direct frequency entry requires you to input everything in kHz. To listen to WHYN 560 on the AM BCB I click on the frequency display so it displays "0" and then type in 560 and press enter. To go to 3.885 MHz I type in 3885 and press enter. To go to 29.0 MHz I type in 29000 and press enter. It gets a little more tedious when you input VHF and UHF frequencies. Best thing to do is to store your favorite frequencies in the memory panel so you can simply click on a frequency and away you go.

Very preliminary results shows that it does not seem to be especially bothered by WABC 770 khz, just 2 miles away.

That's good to know. I was curious how you would do with that scenario.

Trying to figure out how to change default tuning step, and if a custom bandwidth can be saves.

Right-click on the frequency display in the main RX window and the tuning step menu will popup. Currently, there is no way to save a custom bandwidth. Sounds like you know this but for others who might not know:  The only way you can change the default bandwidth is to drag the filter skirts in the "AUX SP" panel.

Need to connect an external speaker to by laptop – the internal speaker is just horrible!

What is SDRuno extio program used for?

This is a separate executable for use with other SDR hardware like the FiFi or the RTL dongles that rely on a hardware specific EXTIO.dll for proper initialization.

Is the LNA gain variable, or just ON / OFF?

It is variable if you turn AGC off. Then you can use the gain reduction slider (labeled as GR) in the "MAIN" panel to adjust the LNA gain.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 09:04:46 AM »

There is a very good SDRplay group on Facebook. Several people have installed their SDRplay boxes inside an aluminum enclosure. The resuklts seem to be worth the effort. Here's one photo of what happens by just installing a snap on choke to the USB cable.

* SDRplay_choke.jpg (244.15 KB, 597x815 - viewed 1402 times.)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 09:34:31 AM »

SDRuno v1.1 released
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 10:45:25 AM »

Yeah, this looks like a nice effort to integrate more of the controls onto fewer panels. I ran it for around 12 hours on the day it was released and it performed flawlessly, except for one anomaly. When I selected the LowIF option only two sampling rates were available: 2.0 MHz and 8.xxx MHz. Not sure why that happens but I'll send that in as a bug. Otherwise, it seems to run really well.

Rob W1AEX

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 11:31:12 AM »

So, I really like the SDRplay and have two issues that I have not been able to solve.
1. I enjoy listening to the Mil Aircraft band, roughly 230 - 350 mhz. SDRplay uses a 250 mHz LO, so you get a ton of images from the local FM broadcast stations @ 338-358 Mhz. I have a rather aggressive FM Notch filter that gives me almost -60db of attenuation. It reduces it, but they are still there. Someone suggested using the 168 Mhz LO option, that should shift the images, when listening in that region. Have not tried that yet.

2. If I open the BW to 10 mHz, I keep hearing a "think, think, thunk" noise which I suspect might be the time it's taking to process that much of the spectrum vs. what my PC can do. At BW of 5 mHz, no problem.

I'm going to mount the PCB inside a shielded enclosure, as some have reported that it decreases the noise floor. I suspect it may be receiving some of its own RF generated noise using the plastic case.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »

Yeah, I see exactly the same FM images up in the 338-358 MHz range if I am using the Zero-IF option or the default Auto LO setting. Changing the LO-IF to the 168 MHz offset makes the FM band images completely disappear up there.

Regarding the "thunk, thunk, thunk" noise that is happening with the 10 MHz sampling rate my guess is that your suspicion is probably correct that the computer might not be able to keep up with the data processing required for a spectrum chunk of that size. In previous versions of SDRuno you could choose whether or not the "Output Fractional Resampler" was enabled, but it looks like they have decided to remove the option to disable it with the newest version. This means that if the computer falls behind SDRuno will empty its buffers every time they overflow. This can cause a slight frequency shift and with a fast computer you won't notice it at all unless you are in SAM mode where you might hear a slight blip. With a slower computer you probably will run into a continuous "correction" loop and resultant dropouts with very high sampling rates.

Rob W1AEX

KL7OF

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »

I rec'd my SDR Play today and downloaded the software...With multiple screens and plenty of acronyms to learn..... It may be a little while before I hear anything but noise..I have learned to use HPSDR with a Tony Parks Ensemble II Rx  and I find SDRuno to be quite different so far...This will be fun and I am looking forward to using  the coverage from 10KHZ to 2 Gig...I am using windows 7 ..Currently studying the "SDRPlay cookbook" for further instruction..
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »

I use the SDRplay as my only receiver, and I love it!  The software I'm using is HDSDR.  It's very simple to use. 

They're on sale for $129 at HRO until the end of the month.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
KL7OF

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 10:20:53 AM »

How are you muting the rx for use with a transmitter?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »

I was going to ask the same question,  as I ordered an Rsp1 this week.

I planned on a dpdt relay outside the Kenwood,  fired off by the +8 volt on t  line.   I figured a small resistor and 5 volt relay would work sped up.  Ground the input to the rsp on TX,  should be good,  no?

That saves the input.   Now,  how about audiouting,  another pole on the relay w the speaker?

Ideas from those already using one?

--Shane
KD6VXI
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »

I don't mute the receiver during transmit. My station is sequenced, however, so the antenna relay is switched first so that the receiver is protected.

I also switch the audio out using a relay. If you didn't, you'd receive delayed audio feedback. I've tried talking on the air with that audio pumped into my headphones. It's nearly impossible. Instead, I have an RF pickup that rectifies the audio and pumps that into my headphones.

My guess is that you'd want to use a sequencer with this SDR receiver. The manufacturer even cautions against using the same antenna with the transmitter.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »

An interesting announcement - $169
http://www.nn4f.com/index.php/46-sdrplay-rsp2-rsp2pro.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015