The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:31:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "I Worked the HUZman!!"  (Read 7984 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: January 31, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »

Caitlin's first contact today on 40m was with Steve, K4HX. She turned 3 in November and can speak pretty well, so I figure it's time.

Gotta admit - it was pretty fun and amusing sitting there with her in my lap asking where the voice was coming from, or "Daddy, why did you turn off the red (transmit) light"?

Conditions were excellent, Steve was a steady +20 and more on the very questionable Mohawk meter.

You can see the excitement, amazement, and accomplishment in her expression. Something to brag to her preschool pals about.

"You figured out how to stack Legos this weekend? I worked the HUZman on 40 meter AM fone AND rode my tricycle. HA!"

* First QSO_1.JPG (239.74 KB, 950x632 - viewed 595 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »

Caitlin's first contact today on 40m was with Steve, K4HX. She turned 3 in November and can speak pretty well, so I figure it's time.

Gotta admit - it was pretty fun and amusing sitting there with her in my lap asking where the voice was coming from, or "Daddy, why did you turn off the red (transmit) light"?

Conditions were excellent, Steve was a steady +20 and more on the very questionable Mohawk meter.

You can see the excitement, amazement, and accomplishment in her expression. Something to brag to her preschool pals about.

"You figured out how to stack Legos this weekend? I worked the HUZman on 40 meter AM fone AND rode my tricycle. HA!"

Good for Caitlin Todd!   So that's what it takes to get the HUZman on Wink . She looks great at the op position.   

Joe-GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »

You're bringing her up right!

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 05:17:52 PM »

Boogeyman, Superman, Spiderman, Rocket Man...

-But-  Caitlin got to really talk to the HUZman!!   Grin Grin

Great pic Todd.. She's got a story to tell, no doubt!

..These are the "back in the day" days.. Enjoy!

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »

Here's the official photograph, taken after she settled down. She is a true joy every day, Jeff. Even the 'bad' ones which are few. The other night she went over to the bookcase and counted the books on one shelf. She messed up once (12,13,15,16) and I reminded her, so she tried to correct mid-stream and finished up. 43 books, she declared. All thicknesses, sizes, etc. I went over and counted. There were 42. Close enough for good AM copy.  Grin

And no joke - the first thing she said to her mom when Jen got home from her school's open house was 'Mommy! I worked the HUZman!'. She yelled it from her open bedroom window when Jen drove into the driveway(it was 73 here today). Guessing she was excited about it.

She also calls him Steve, of course. She's not aware of his other aliases.

* First QSO_4.JPG (207.95 KB, 950x632 - viewed 530 times.)

KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »

Todd,

Great pics,  I have some of my daughter at about the same age sending CW with a Navy key.  I would post it if I could, it's a problem with this computer.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »

Very nice, Todd! She looks right at home on the operator's chair.

Bill KA8WTK
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »

3 years.... already??? Maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!

The Huz is a great first QSO. I 'member a few years ago I put a 40M dipole up at the huntin' camp. Got it all tuned and called CQ on 7290 AM. The Huzman was there like he was sittin' in the cabin with us.

Hey mommy...... I work the Huzman too!
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 07:44:17 PM »

I feel honored. Caitlin sounded quite good on the radio and looks at home in the operating chair!

It was a great QSO all the way around. Thanks to Todd for rattling my cage and getting me on the air.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 12:25:08 PM »

She was still talking about it yesterday afternoon. We went out to the garage and she wanted me to turn on the radio so we could "listen for the HUZman". Now she regularly asks me if I like listening to radios and volunteers that she does.

Was good working you again, Steve. There have been a lot of changes within the AM gang over recent years involving family, career, and so on that have altered many of our schedules drastically. Back when we were on the air weekly if not daily, we didn't know how good we had it!

Will continue to work toward getting the station back up to full operation and look forward to the next time. It's not as difficult to sneak in a little time here and there when the wires are all up high in the sky and everything is working.

KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 02:21:23 PM »

You made a memory......
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 02:53:54 PM »

I worked the Huzman...
But I did not shoot the deputy!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 02:49:43 PM »

...but I did not work the deputy....

Certainly fits the tune, Buddly!

She's very proud of the feat and gets a big grin whenever I ask her - Caitlin, who did you talk to on the radio?

"Steve, the HUZman...[big grin]"

I'm going to try to make a short video of her saying it and bring it to FrostFest this weekend. She asks every day about the radios in the garage, so whenever time and WX allow, I'll try to get her onto 40m.   

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 07:21:14 AM »

Glad to see all a yous back on the air, including that new miscrramnt!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 08:25:10 AM »

Speaking of which JN, it's time to give Caitlin a contact from Cuba.
Send the requisite cigars to me for forwarding though. Wink

Yep, she's well on her way to stellar stardom, and from a FB station, all matching classic gear.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015