The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:58:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navy Brings Back Morse Code Training  (Read 3142 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: February 08, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/187384/morse-code-staple-navy-iw-toolkit#.VramkfkrK02

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »

I know a lot of people just don't care for CW but I am among the ones that do enjoy it.  So I think its great to hear that its being taught by the Navy.  To me its just a different mode and we all can pick and choose what we like and have fun with it. 

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »

I was never very good at CW, passed the 5 WPM but was never able to get much better than that. The elimination of the code requirement rekindled my interest in the hobby. I have been very impressed with the ability of cw to get through with low power and simple equipment.

A few years ago at the Military Radio Collectors Meet in San Luis Obispo one guy had a GRC-9 in his vehicle, he tossed a 60 foot wire over a tree limb and worked another guy 300 miles away.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »

If you take time to read the complete post you will find that the Navy NEVER STOPPED teaching CW...

Also, the fancy name they use is the current name for the consolidated military communications security services  (ASA NSG, AFSS, , etc)...

I spent some time at Cory back in the 60's and contributed a bit to an early version of the current systems they are teaching.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W4EWH

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »

Well, look at it this way: if some other ham ever brags about his new data setup, you can say "Hey, OM, I was doing Pulse Width Modulation before it was fashionable"!

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015