The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:51:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back on AM @ SolderSmoke  (Read 5760 times)
N2CQR

« on: November 18, 2015, 05:35:01 AM »

I thought you guys would like this.   I recently fired up the DX-100 given to me by John Zaruba K2ZA.  I'm using it with my Dominican Republic HQ-100.  I'm on 40 and having a lot of fun.  I have 160 meter ambitions. Here is my station and some blog posts about AM:
http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/search/label/AM
http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/search/label/AM
73  Bill N2CQR

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »

Welcome!

Looks like you pulled together a nice little time machine!  It's fun to be able to match gear from a particular era.

I'll be back to browse your site when I have more time.

73, bill

p.s.  There are many previous discussion here about AM monitors and sampling projects.  There a couple schematics on the tabs at left, including the 'East Coast Sound" title.

W2AEW has at least four excellent videos on his YouTube account demonstrating building and use.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »

Bill are you operating that station as it is in your links?  If so you are cooking the innards of the receiver with the transmitter.  I suggest you find another table and separate the two horizontally or, if you must, put the receiver on a board supported at least 3-4 inches above the DX 100 cabinet.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »

It was great to work you.
I plan on ordering your book which looks like a very good read.

What QST was the mighty midget in?
I found a rig called the traffic midget in an old 73 mag, was very simple and very small...
N2CQR

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 07:33:50 PM »

Hello Brett!   It was good to talk to you.

The Mate for the Mighty Midget came from the April 1966 issue of QST. Page 49. In his "Beginner and Novice" article Lew McCoy presented a little three tube superhet receiver for 80 and 40 that promised to be "a real performer." This was the receiver companion to the "Mighty Midget" transmitter project that had been presented a few months earlier. (The transmitter was presented as a contest: The first novice to finish building it and make contact with stations in ten ARRL sections won!)

73  Bill N2CQR
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 11:04:49 AM »

I remember being in high school and finding an article for something that used a bunch of 6U8's and wanted to build it in the worst way.
It was way beyond my budget and skill level though.

It was also in competition with girls, motorcycles and beer and it lost out.

I did collect some 6U8's for it though, and wonder just how complex it was.
I will have to see if I have that QST.
K9PNP

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 07:31:23 PM »

A friend in high school had that setup in 1959.  All of us poor people used to go to his shack so we could drool over it.  You have to understand that this was a guy that was GIVEN an SX-28 in mint condition later on.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »

Yea, we had those bastids around here also, and had to use surplus stuff or regens made out of old TV parts, that we walked barefoot in the snow to get.
Up hill.
Both ways!

I think it was much more fun to make do or just make something then be given some new Collins gear.
Might not have thought so at the time, but I do now.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 11:06:46 PM »

Your lucky you had a hill. We lived under a lake.

klc

What? Me worry?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »

A tabletop top transmitter, 100W on 160M will require the best antenna you can sling up there. 100W is a real challenge on 160M with shortened compromise antennas. 80M antennas loaded for 160M or dipoles 30 feet high from the ground.
Verticals are worse on 160M if they are not at least 60 feet tall and 50 radials. No cheating allowed on 160M
"L" antennas are very rewarding on 160M.

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015