The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:42:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interest in Fall AM Operating Event  (Read 15367 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »

Watt I've noticed with most of the AM operating events is the participation -  It is cool to work someone who hasn't been on the air for a long time finally throw the switch. There are almost always some that have never pushed the AM button, and decide to try AM.  And it never hertz to let the SSBers know we are still here.

KLC

What? Me worry?
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 10:06:20 PM »

If you avoid the weekends of Phone Sweepstakes and a few of the bigger state QSO parties, there should be no more than normal QRM.

Tons of contacts can be made with low/lower power during the daylight and early evening hours and again during the very late night hours. Plenty of people only ran 100 watts in some of the AM events years ago when there was far more nighttime QRM than there is now. There are tons of opportunities for everyone.

Just do it.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »

Exactly.

Brad, it's not my intention to discourage you in any way from planning an event for lower power stations or to maximize their opportunities in an event - quite the opposite. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of AM operating event monthly if it stirs up more activity. I think we're both in agreement there. My position is centered around the event Steve and I had been discussing and the 'why' of it, based on previous experience. Much of the activity has come in the evening hours which are the noisiest. But as Steve points out, there are plenty of opportunities during other parts of the day to enjoy lower power activity (which I happened to be confined to now myself).

So by all means, put it together and post it here. We will promote it 'til the cows come home. And then some.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 10:13:14 AM »

Todd, no discouragement here.

I'll have something put together very soon.  Keep the cards and letters coming gang.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »

*It's as much about audio as power level. Some will recall the FT-101EE that Derb/N3DRB ran the last few months he was with us. I think Buddly has it now. No idea how or what he was doing, but Derb had audio like a 5kw signal while barely making the meter move. Stock power from the 101's sweep tubes. So even low power can be armchair copy or close if done right.

Yes Todd I do have it and will fire it up soon. But you are right. 25 watt carrier and a D104 put a great siganiganal into Ohio from Derb's QTH!

There's an idea........ an event/no-event station with the Derb 101 Tx and Slab's R390A on receive!!!!
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 01:34:46 AM »

The event will be held October 31. It will be fall & football season so we'll call it AM Tailgate. Simple rules with the focus on AM QSOs and welcoming newcomers to the AM mode.

AM Tailgate specifics are on the web here: http://www.qsl.net/potomacam/amtailgate.htm

Thanks all for your input.

* amtailgate.jpg (49.8 KB, 798x146 - viewed 384 times.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015