The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:05:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL & CW  (Read 29357 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: January 20, 2005, 07:56:05 PM »

ARRL AND CW:

I just received my FISTS
Nancy Kott WZ8C Editor has this little tid-bit:

I Havent't seen it personally, but the buzz is:

The 2005 ARRL Operating Handbook has NO section on MORSE
Operating.

I understand it has a page or two of abbreviations.  It is very
interesting they would omit Morse code operating from the
Operating Manual.  Anyone have an inside scoop on this.
wavebourn
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 08:01:58 PM »

But what about requirements to get a license?  :cool:
K1MVP
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 08:46:24 PM »

Quote from: wavebourn

"requirements"?? what requirements with the "new proposals" by
  ARRL for "automatic upgrade" to General?
  Just fill out the "registration" that comes with the new radio , es
  your ham radio "permit" will be promptly mailed to you whithin
  24 hours.
                                73, K1MVP :razz:
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 08:47:45 PM »

At the moment it is still there Anatolly.  I would guess that it will be quite a while before the requirement is eliminated by the FCC.  They don't like to spend much time on Amateur Radio.  They generally wait until there is one broad sweeping proposal to act, except to deny petitions that are filed by a few or so people.   Past history is they only act on proposals from the ARRL when they do act.

Keep working, I am pulling for you.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 03:12:14 AM »

It's an older than dirt mode; what's there to know :shock:
From the ARRL Book Store site:
The ARRL Operating Manual
8th Edition

The most complete book about Amateur Radio operating:

Rules and Regulations—updated and including 60 meters
FM operating—including repeaters, EchoLink and IRLP
Extensive operating detail for dozens of modes including CW, PHONE, and many digital modes.
VHF and HF digital—with new emphasis on sound-card based operating modes and APRS
Other VHF/UHF modes—including meteor scatter and weak signal software applications
DXing, Contesting and Award Hunting—and featuring ARRL's Logbook of The World
Emergency communications—updated for the post-September 11, 2001 environment
Traffic Handling
Image Communications—including innovations using sound cards
Satellites
...and many additional References

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1MVP
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 05:27:39 PM »

WA2CWA quote, relavant to cw,--"its an older than dirt mode, whats
                                                  to know" unquote

So many using the new modes might consider AM to be an "older
 than dirt mode",--So is AM being eliminated or "scaled back" in the
 new handbook also?
                                     73, K1MVP :neutral:
xe1yzy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 07:02:20 PM »

Quote from: wavebourn

-.-.  :arrow:  .--  :arrow:  ..  :arrow:  ...  :arrow:  .-   :arrow: .-.  :arrow:  .  :arrow:  .-  :arrow:  .-..  :arrow:  ....  :arrow:  .- :arrow:   --  :arrow:  .-..  :arrow:  .-  :arrow:  -.  :arrow:  --.  :arrow: ..-  :arrow:  --.   :arrow: .       (Right?)

TVI WHAT TVI?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 08:43:15 PM »

Quote from: K1MVP
WA2CWA quote, relavant to cw,--"its an older than dirt mode, whats
                                                  to know" unquote

new handbook also?

Who cares! We got an AM page on the ARRL web site.
http://www.remote.arrl.org/tis/info/am.html

But lets clear up what book we're talking about.
There is no 2005 ARRL Operating Handbook. There is an ARRL Operating Manual, 8th edition (2003-2004). There is the ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications (2005 edition). The original poster needs to identify what book he is talking about.

Review of the 2005 Handbook: http://www.arrl.org/catalog/9280/

w1es
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 09:53:35 PM »

I hate to see CW fade away.  I do most of my non-AM HF operating on CW.  At first, when I was a JN, it was just a necessary thing to get a licence, but soon I realised that is was quite a bit-o-fun in itself!
KA1ZGC
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 02:13:42 PM »

Quote from: Pete, WA2CWA
Quote from: WA2CWA
its an older than dirt mode, whats
                                                  to know

I'll see your attitude, and raise you one:

The ARRL is an older-than-dirt publishing company that has done absolutely nothing to educate new hams for at least 15 years, and has done even less to keep ham radio current. Their myopic view of the hobby has cost them their ability to remember the past, or to prepare hams for the future. Just listen to the yawning lack of knowledge posessed by recent licencees. Most of these guys don't even understand the concepts that were part of their license exams! Where's the ARRL?

For years, we've been putting up with Revisionist History at the hands of the ARRL. For the longest time, AM was only ever discussed in ARRL publications in terms of how AM receivers work, a couple of quick pages before the long, drawn-out, in-depth discussion of how to transmit and receive SSB by both filtering and phasing methods.

Result: tons of appliance operators who stomp all over AM QSOs because they think we can hear each other over a 2kc channel, or just assume we're foreign broadcasters and fire right up on top of us.

Newcomers to this hobby turn to the ARRL for guidance. They should be able to do so without being given only the information that satisfies ARRL, Inc.'s agenda for ham radio (which, by the way, is completely whacked). Did it ever dawn on you that some newcomers might actually take an interest in operating CW? Since all the real elmers ran away like cowards when the No-Code Tech came along, and the ARRL will no longer be discussing CW operating practices (to your appearent delight), who are they going to learn from? Each other? Turn on your 2-meter CB and you'll see what happens when the blind lead the blind. Should only take a few minutes.

What's the ARRL doing about it? Dumbing it down even further. They have rolled over and given in to the idea that ham radio is dying, and they'd rather retire than revitalize. It's pathetic.

new handbook also?

Who cares! We got an AM page on the ARRL web site.
http://www.remote.arrl.org/tis/info/am.html

Oooh, boy! A whole PAGE on the ARRL website! And a perfectly obvious URL to boot!

Those of you who might leap up and defend the ARRL's attitude towards AM by mentioning the AM station at W1AW, don't bother. The only reason it's there is because it was donated by somebody famous. Good marketing for the "in crowd" if you can mention any kind of affiliation with a rock star. That's why pop-culture rags print celebrities' names in bold print. No substance to the writer's work, just lots of name-dropping.

Time to start another publishing company. One that provides real information that's historically accurate.

Wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air?

--Thom
Kilimunjaro Africa One Zulu Goat Cheese
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 03:20:01 PM »

Whatever toots your horn; it's still older than dirt.
The ARRL is an older-than-dirt publishing company that has done absolutely nothing to educate new hams for at least 15 years, and has done even less to keep ham radio current.

I guess you haven't read the 2005 ARRL Handbook.
Their myopic view of the hobby has cost them their ability to remember the past, or to prepare hams for the future

it's a service not a hobby
the past is passed; remember it in your dreams
future - I guess you haven't read the 2005 ARRL Handbook for starters
Most of these guys don't even understand the concepts that were part of their license exams! Where's the ARRL?

Of course, the ARRL's at fault for Amateurs not wanting to understand concepts
Result: tons of appliance operators who stomp all over AM QSOs because they think we can hear each other over a 2kc channel, or just assume we're foreign broadcasters and fire right up on top of us.

Makes sense - the ARRL is at fault
What's the ARRL doing about it? Dumbing it down even further. They have rolled over and given in to the idea that ham radio is dying, and they'd rather retire than revitalize. It's pathetic.

AARL is always looking for members
Time to start another publishing company. One that provides real information that's historically accurate.

Probably only in a small section of the Northeast

KA1ZGC
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 04:37:16 PM »

Whatever toots your horn; it's still older than dirt.
The ARRL is an older-than-dirt publishing company that has done absolutely nothing to educate new hams for at least 15 years, and has done even less to keep ham radio current.

I guess you haven't read the 2005 ARRL Handbook.

To learn what, Pete? How Echolink and IRLP work? What DXing is? Is there anything in there that promotes development, or just partial explanations of what others have developed, like it has been for decades?

Their myopic view of the hobby has cost them their ability to remember the past, or to prepare hams for the future

it's a service not a hobby

Whatever.

If you're just going to wordsmith, replace the word "hobby" with the word "service" and the point still stands, and is still valid.

I'd be curious to know who you think we're still a "service" to. The tsunami victims? Sorry, Pete, but hams passing traffic over echolink (yes, echolink) is no more a service than non-hams sending emails. I'm not impressed.

the past is passed; remember it in your dreams

That's exactly the snide, snobby attitude that makes the ARRL such an abomination (and isn't doing you any favors, either). If you forget your past mistakes, you're just going to turn around and make them again. If you don't understand how radio got to where it is, you'll have no idea of where to take it from here.

The ARRL's relevance is what's passed, remember it in your dreams.

future - I guess you haven't read the 2005 ARRL Handbook for starters

Future? Does it talk about the future, or the present, Pete? Why does it still talk about traffic forms when any dipshit can send an email? Why does it brag about "public service in times of emergency" when most ARES chapters simply get in the way when real emergencies arise, or maybe fetch coffee for the professionals who should just be allowed to do their job without us underfoot?

And you tell me that "the past is passed" in the same paragraph?

The future has never been in the Handbook. That's a stupid statement. If the future is in the Handbook, then the hobby (yes, I said "hobby", deal with it) really is dead after all.

Most of these guys don't even understand the concepts that were part of their license exams! Where's the ARRL?

Of course, the ARRL's at fault for Amateurs not wanting to understand concepts

They're not teaching them, Pete! If the ARRL License Manuals aren't giving these guys the knowledge they need to live up to their license class, then yes, Pete: the ARRL is at fault.

Besides, whether they're at fault for that or not, they're certainly at fault for turning a blind eye and saying "it's not our fault you're not learning anything from us". If a teacher has a class full of failures, it's highly unlikely that it's the student body's fault for not understanding the teacher. The teacher bears the obligation to teach. If the teacher's methods don't work, then the teacher needs new methods. Teachers that don't teach don't stay employed, because they don't deserve to.

Makes sense - the ARRL is at fault

Read the above paragraph. They certainly aren't the solution.

AARL is always looking for members

"Looking for members" and "adapting to changing times" are about as synonymous as a 4-1000 and a quart of 10W-30.

You see, Pete, it makes no sense.

Probably only in a small section of the Northeast

Thank you for that eloquent reply, Pete. Like the organization it attempts to defend, your writing only puts the frosting on that snotty, pig-headed attitude of "the ARRL is right, because it's the ARRL, and the ARRL said they're right".

When you don't have a point, just patronize and hope nobody notices the difference. Works for ARRL, Incorporated, doesn't it?

Thank you for proving my point.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 05:43:24 PM »

Thank you for that eloquent reply, Pete. Like the organization it attempts to defend, your writing only puts the frosting on that snotty, pig-headed attitude of "the ARRL is right, because it's the ARRL, and the ARRL said they're right".

When you don't have a point, just patronize and hope nobody notices the difference. Works for ARRL, Incorporated, doesn't it?

Thank you for proving my point.

--Thom

You're welcome. Happy to help. :-P

Glenn K2KL
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 03:17:44 PM »

Now if that isn't the most ludicrous statement I've ever heard.

It's an older than dirt mode; what's there to know :shock:

What's there to know?! it's older than dirt? So we shouldn't educate? leave it out of the book? What a load of crap!

It's nice to hear from someone that has a good understanding of the many facets of CW operation.  :lol:

Playing piano, it's older than dirt! what's to know?

Glenn K2KL.... not an ARRL member and proud of it!
AG4YO
CW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 12:06:40 PM »

Quote from: w1es
I hate to see CW fade away.  I do most of my non-AM HF operating on CW.  At first, when I was a JN, it was just a necessary thing to get a licence, but soon I realised that is was quite a bit-o-fun in itself!

Its not fading away, its being pushed out.
Art
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 12:35:57 PM »

CW and AM will not fade away. How's that for making a simple statement of fact obvious to everyone. We will probably need to share resources more effectivly but I think discussions of the demise of these modes is premature.

The ARRL has become an instrument of something other than its constituency so your suggestion to come up with another publishing entity may have more substance than appears at first blush. I think radio amateurs need proper representation more than we need another magazine with its attendant financial skew though.
The ARRL reminds me of the school boards in PA who rejected funding from the state because the voters would then be able to defeat a proposed tax increase. 'can't have the voters (members) voicing their opinions . . . what do they think this is, a democracy?
That will be $39 for the next year. . .  and you should really consider joining the diamond club so we can really put it to you . . .

-ap
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 03:15:19 PM »

To a new ham, how old any particular mode happens be is irrelevant. To them, ALL modes are new. I would think it would be in the ARRL's interest that all hams be proficient in operating whatever modes they choose to use (and to some extent even the ones they don't use - if for no other reason than to avoid conflicts). Leaving out any mode, let alone one that is still widely used, out of their operating manual is not the way to achieve such.

Doesn't the ARRL sponsor a CW contest?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 05:39:11 PM »

Quote from: Steve - WB3HUZ
To a new ham, how old any particular mode happens be is irrelevant. To them, ALL modes are new. I would think it would be in the ARRL's interest that all hams be proficient in operating whatever modes they choose to use (and to some extent even the ones they don't use - if for no other reason than to avoid conflicts). Leaving out any mode, let alone one that is still widely used, out of their operating manual is not the way to achieve such.

Doesn't the ARRL sponsor a CW contest?

All of these below are either CW only, or phone, CW, or whatever

January        1 Straight Key Night

22 - 24   ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

February 14 - 19  School Club Roundup

19 - 20   ARRL International DX Contest (CW)

June        11 - 13   ARRL June VHF QSO Party

25 - 26   ARRL Field Day

July        9 - 10   IARU HF World Championships

August        6 - 7   ARRL UHF Contest

20 - 21   ARRL 10 GHz and Up Contest

September 10 - 12 ARRL September VHF QSO Party

17 - 18    ARRL 10 GHz and Up Contest

24 - 25   ARRL EME 2304 MHz and Above

October     22 - 23 ARRL EME 50 MHz - 1296 MHz

November 5 - 7 ARRL November Sweepstakes (CW)

12 - 13    ARRL EME 50 MHz - 1296 MHz

December  2 - 4   ARRL 160 Meter Contest

10 - 11   ARRL 10 Meter Contest

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 07:17:15 PM »

I agree. The ARRL more or less stopped covering AM in its handbooks in the early 70's (I do recall some coverage in an early-70's VHF handbook). The popularity and on air use of AM has only grown in the intervening years. Will the same happen to CW. Only time will tell.

That said, I still think the ARRL does a disservice to its members and amateur radio at large by leaving out any mode. I can personally attest to being QRMed by SSBers who had no idea AM was still in use, appropriate frequency spacing, and likely frequency for AM. Ignorance can be dangerous.

Quote from: Art
CW and AM will not fade away. How's that for making a simple statement of fact obvious to everyone. We will probably need to share resources more effectivly but I think discussions of the demise of these modes is premature.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2005, 01:17:05 AM »

According to informed sources, a hostile takeover is in the works for the ARRL Association and its publication QST.  One of the most significant investors is reportedly the prominent radio talk show host Art Bell W6OBB.  When contacted by this writer, Bell insists that his involvement is not as a result of personal differences with the current leadership at League Headquarters.  Bell declined further comment, citing the need for confidentiality and referred all future inquiries to his personal assistant, James Watkins KI6GU, of Burbank, CA.

HOSTILE TAKEOVER

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2005, 07:55:35 AM »

Gee Gads another Conspiracy..? Cheesy
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 10:17:51 AM »

Art Bell is one of the biggest BS artests on radio. His eyes must be quite dark brown since he is full of 10-1000
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 12:08:34 PM »

Umm, far be it from me to throw cold water on a rumor, but can someone please enlighten me?  

How would someone accomplish a "hostile takeover" of a corporation that has never issued capital stock and that operates as a not for profit?

Go Duke![/b]
WA1GFZ

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 12:11:33 PM »

Art Bell created this new element called "stupidium" and dishes it out to all who listen to his pile of BS.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 02:14:51 PM »

Quote from: Paul, K2ORC

How would someone accomplish a "hostile takeover" of a corporation
that has never issued capital stock and that operates as a not for
profit?

Good point, OM!  Just marketing hype for ratings, I'd say.

Quote from: Franz,WA1GFZ

"Art Bell created this new element called "stupidium" and dishes
it out to all who listen to his pile of BS."  

HA! You guys are killing me.... :lol:  :lol:

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015