The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:43:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost new AF68!  (Read 4503 times)
WB5IRI
Contributing

« on: April 29, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »

Was going to tear into the Viking Valiant's modulator last night after work, but when I got home there was this package on the porch, and I knew there would be no work on the Johnson that evening. I had ordered a Multi-Elmac AF68 from eBay Canada, and when the box was unpacked, I was amazed and completely blown away by the condition of the rig. It appears either new or almost new, and I suspect this radio was never used or only very lightly used before being stored for 55 years.All the tubes test brand new, and many are labeled "Made for Multi Products by Tungsol." Even the paper capacitors look like they were installed yesterday. Bias battery was bad, but I had a spare. If it is a restoration job, whoever did it was a pro. See the pics below.

The band switch wouldn't turn, but a few squirts of DeOxit on the band switch freed it up.So, I applied power from my M1070 power supply, hit the switch, and it came alive. Loaded up fine, sounded clean, and I had a very enjoyable QSO with WA2CYT, who gave it a good audio report with the standard (non amplified) D104.

Doug, WB5IRI

* image(5).jpg (666.78 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 451 times.)

* image(4).jpg (695.98 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 480 times.)

* image(3).jpg (587.33 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 421 times.)
WB5IRI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »

More pics -- this rig is pristine! Even the coils are shiny.

* image(2).jpg (647.67 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 391 times.)

* image(1).jpg (647.28 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 352 times.)

* image(0).jpg (649.92 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 399 times.)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »

Doug,

Truly amazing.  Congratulations on the lucky acquisition!

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 08:34:26 PM »

Sharp looking Elmac!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:54:37 AM »

She's a beauty Doug,  and looks brand new,   right down to the Burgess bias battery.

Have never seen one that clean.

Have fun with it.    Vic
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:22:55 AM »

I never realized that it's not just a transmitter. It's a Trans-citer

Congratulations. It is a thing of beauty.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »

Was going to tear into the Viking Valiant's modulator last night after work, but when I got home there was this package on the porch, and I knew there would be no work on the Johnson that evening. I had ordered a Multi-Elmac AF68 from eBay Canada, and when the box was unpacked, I was amazed and completely blown away by the condition of the rig. It appears either new or almost new, and I suspect this radio was never used or only very lightly used before being stored for 55 years.All the tubes test brand new, and many are labeled "Made for Multi Products by Tungsol." Even the paper capacitors look like they were installed yesterday. Bias battery was bad, but I had a spare. If it is a restoration job, whoever did it was a pro. See the pics below.
The band switch wouldn't turn, but a few squirts of DeOxit on the band switch freed it up.So, I applied power from my M1070 power supply, hit the switch, and it came alive. Loaded up fine, sounded clean, and I had a very enjoyable QSO with WA2CYT, who gave it a good audio report with the standard (non amplified) D104.
Doug, WB5IRI

Fantastic example of a like new AF-68 Doug!  That beats the condition of any that I have seen.  Also, good karma since you talked to the Dirk-CYT with it! 

I have an Elmac A-54 and an AF-67.  My 67 is in nice shape, but the A-54 needs a little restoration work.  Its a good candidate, but it needs some time spent on it. 

Most of all, I am glad your using and enjoying the rig! 

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W7NGA

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »

You see ... the universe balances itself out. Your extreme good fortune is due to my lack of it when I bought a Ranger II thinking it was 'almost new', or so the seller assured me. Well, if it is 'like new' from E.F. Johnson, I have to wonder why the factory included 400 cold-solder joints, partially incinerated wiring harness, flat tubes, extra drilled-hole in the front panel, VFO drift, hum, and a frayed line cord?  Roll Eyes

73's

W7NGA
San Juan Island, Wa.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »

Hi Doug,

I've always liked the construction of the Multi-Elmac stuff.  It's a step above the Johnson gear.

It may not be mil-spec, but is half way there.

Nice looking rig you found.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K9PNP

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »

Nice rig!!  Looks a lot cleaner than mine.  Glad you had the good fortune to get it.

Just out of curiosity, is the dial cover warped at all??  Most of those I have seen, including mine, are slightly curled up on the bottom corners a little.  Must have been from heat.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
WB5IRI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »

No, the front dial plate is not curled at all. There is a little bit of gunk on one corner, looks and feels like Scotch Tape residue, that I will try to clean off. The pilot lights are located behind the black cover below the clear dial plate, #44 or #47, and it gets hot in there. I have seen some guys take a dremel and carve out some ventilation slots in the top of the black plastic, doesn't show and helps get rid of the heat. Using a couple of lower wattage bulbs might help. Or, you could just order a new dial plate from http://jmpalmquist.home.comcast.net/~jmpalmquist/Inventory.htm. He lists the AF-68 dial plate as in stock. I have heard that he will make one up for a radio that isn't on his list, but I have not requested that service from him and he doesn't list that as an option.

Doug, WB5IRI

ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »

Congrats on a great find. It does indeed look new.

P

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015