The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:34:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am Transmitter Rally May Be Worldwide  (Read 23817 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« on: March 09, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »

Looking at the rules for the Am tx rally I see separate points for states and Canadian provinces but no mention of points earned for multiple areas in other countries.

10/12/15/17 may very well be open worldwide next weekend.

Might be a good idea to make a rules change to reflect the possibility of dog x-ray.

I plan to operate from a hydrogen filled balloon moored to the Empire State Building. 
KA2DZT

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »

Dave,

Before you get too creative with hot air balloons, just make sure ch-4 stays on the air.

Fred
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »

Dave,

Before you get too creative with hot air balloons, just make sure ch-4 stays on the air.

Fred

RF Channel 4 is in Southern NJ now.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 08:18:32 PM »

I plan to operate from a hydrogen filled balloon moored to the Empire State Building.  

Hal, open the door.   Dave, I don't think this is a good idea, Dave.  My mind is going.... I can feel it Dave.  Daisy, Daisy...

* W2VW Blimp.jpg (5.23 KB, 262x193 - viewed 312 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »

Maybee that Al guy will charter a fishing boat, cruise out beyond the 3 mile limit, and start broadcastin. That will get us a new country for shure.

klc

What? Me worry?
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »

Dave,

Fred

RF Channel 4 is in Southern NJ now.

OK so I should've said ch-28.

Interesting about RF ch-4 in SJ.  What network??  Where is the xmtr??  I can receive the main network Philli channels.  Last year couldn't get any(except ch-6).  My system does get ch-6 off my Philli directed VHF antenna, it's mixed in with the NY channels.  I have a NY directed VHF antenna, but only use it for FM.  I have a big UHF/upperVHF antenna on a rotor.  I turn it to get the rest of the Philli channels.  Otherwise it's directed at NY.  I use it for all the NY channels.  I use ch-4 in the system to pipe reception off one of the converter units to some of the lesser TVs around the house.  Don't have a converter for every set.

My system uses a main VHF amp that has single channel mixing filters.  The U/V antenna has a preamp, then U and V are separated.  The U is feed to a main UHF amp, the VHF goes to the VHF mixing amp.  Then everything is recombined.

Fred
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:56:17 PM »

Wasn't that contest last month?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »

Boy have YOU been busy with that new child in your life  Grin

The contest is *THIS WEEKEND* (March 15th and 16th).

Oh, and the first prize is going to a real nice custom made wood framed wall clock with YOUR CALLSIGN (or callsigns if you use a special events call during the event), the year you won, etc. etc.

Beware, I think Ralph 'GL is gunning for 1st place!!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:01:34 AM »

Yeah. got my temp antenna (been temp for about 5 years, I think) working. It had several shorts across the open wire feeder.   Now, ifin I can get the flame throwers working on 160, 80 and 10 meters, things should be great but the 30 watts of carrier the TS-440 produces does work fairly well, as is...

Any how, I expect to be there as much of the time that I can devote to the project...    Grin

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »

Steve, did you see the initial post?

Any chance of making a scoring change.

Participants would get no extra points for working stations in Sotshire and Drunkenham after already working Barrister Falls. Maybe prefixes would help this.

Fred: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WACP

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »

Participants would get no extra points for working stations in Sotshire and Drunkenham after already working Barrister Falls. Maybe prefixes would help this.

I don't see a problem with this.  My guess is that the in-state regions for many countries are not coded into 2 letter fields like they are in Canada, but I may be wrong - having not worked a lot of far off places  Wink  This would require a change to the logging software, but not a big change and I can easily do it.

So, the scoring would be the same for any country and will be the same as it is for Canada and the US now.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »

I don't see a problem with this.  My guess is that the in-state regions for many countries are not coded into 2 letter fields like they are in Canada, but I may be wrong - having not worked a lot of far off places  Wink  This would require a change to the logging software, but not a big change and I can easily do it.

So, the scoring would be the same for any country and will be the same as it is for Canada and the US now.

Thanks! There's potential for a whole lot of extra activity on the higher bands.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 02:18:08 PM »

Thanks! There's potential for a whole lot of extra activity on the higher bands.

But not necessarily more international activity unless they happen to be reading this forum.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 05:08:20 PM »

But not necessarily more international activity unless they happen to be reading this forum.

If you're a stateside station participating in the Rally, every station you work during the event (assuming the other station is also on AM, and you exchange the correct information, etc.) counts towards your point count.  This is very common.  I've operated during other AM events, and have just given other stations points, even thought I didn't send in a log myself.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »

Lots of international members here.
KL7OF

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 10:47:50 PM »

I plan on operating on 10,15, 20, 40 ,75, and 160.....I am hoping for activity on 20 meters.... 20 meters is not always an easy place to operate AM...We need to  have AM activity around 14286 and 14330 (or anywhere else we can find a hole)  ...I have the FRT 39 and a monobander set up and working well on 20 AM....The mono bander works internationally....Looking forward to the event...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 11:34:28 PM »

Maybee that Al guy will charter a fishing boat, cruise out beyond the 3 mile limit, and start broadcastin. That will get us a new country for shure.

klc

And now, from the Voice of Revolutionary Vinco..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 11:39:15 PM »

I worked Wyoming on 10 AM the other day.

That should be good for something.

N4zed

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 08:04:10 AM »

Ok, where is everyone at Huh

Can't find AM activity for contest....

Ken
N4zed

Ken<br />N4zed
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 08:15:44 AM »

severe thunderstorms for this afternoon in Dallas,?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »

10 AM EST calling on 14.280-285.

20M is a busy band. We need to establish a frequency. 

These are the good old days of AM
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 10:28:11 AM »

Boy have YOU been busy with that new child in your life  Grin

Well, see? There ya go - I'm confused and be fuddled. You should stop picking on me by moving the event to a different month every year.

The contest is *THIS WEEKEND* (March 15th and 16th).

This weekend's not good for me. It's St. Patrick's Day weekend. I have to play a UN leprechaun in the local redneck production of Brigadoon: The Blarney Stone Attacks (it's a highly modified version, like a Junkston Ranger).

Let's move it to June.  Tongue

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KL7OF

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 11:03:06 AM »

10 AM EST calling on 14.280-285.

20M is a busy band. We need to establish a frequency. 

I was on 14330  this morning ......that area can be better than 14285    I will try around there when i get on again....After dark local time 20 has less activity but the band is still open........Russian Contest this weekend..
VE3AJM

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »

The VA QSO Party?? going on today too all up and down 40m. Worked Stephanie WX3K this morning on 3725kc.

Al VE3AJM
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »

I've worked a bunch of stations this morning so far.  Am going to fire up in 40 meters and see what's going on there!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015