The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost keys  (Read 13522 times)
Detroit47

« on: January 27, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »

I will admit it I am an idiot. I put the key to my Desk and my 500 in a safe place. I have no idea where that is. Do any of you fine gentleman and ladies have any idea where I may procure replacements?

Thanks John N8QPC
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:26:31 PM »

1962.... Smiley

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »

Talk to a locksmith. He/she might have suggestions.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
wd8das

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »

Those kind of locks often have a number stamped on the cylinder which can be used to order a replacement key, or perhaps have a locksmith cut one to code.  Online possibilities include: 

http://www.cubiclekeys.com/ 
http://www.keysolver.com/
http://www.armorkeys.com/

If you can't tell the make of the lock then perhaps someone who has a key can look at it and tell you.  Or you can ask them to scan the key on a flatbed scanner and send you the image.

Steve WD8DAS

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »

I knew a ham that had a key on his TX power supply. Couldn't start the filaments or anything else without the key. He was big on preventing unauthorized operation, but oddly there was only himself and his wife, who wasn't the sort to go bootlegging and didn't know how to use it anyway. Maybe he just liked the special thing about having a key to it and I can appreciate that, but it was always the rules and liabilities of unauthorized operation that concerned him, and he would tell me all kinds of stories about ingeniously devised punishments that befell people who monkied around on the air or let others do so! I still remember him and his key switch respectfully and fondly. They were the finest of people.

I can see a key to a desk into which a radio is built, that is quite normal because it is a desk.

Who here has a radio set with a key, besides the desk units? I am curious why, just to know the good reasons for it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD0HUX

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:37:45 AM »

All hope might not be lost Grin I  bought a viking 500 with no key Embarrassed Cry. I was 19yrs old no car. I paid the lock smith$20 bucks for a house call.On the spot he took a blank filed enough for make shift pick/key Grin  I need a little time to find it. If i can locate it it is yours. WORKED GREAT Cool
Detroit47

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:15:49 AM »

1962.... Smiley
What does 1962 mean?
Detroit47

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:21:57 AM »

KDOHUX

I will take any help. I thought that they would all have the same key. I hate to do it but I will just put in a toggle switch for now. I'm not using the desk right now but I intend to use the 500 soon. I am just finishing up my Viking 2 and the 500 is next. It was working when I last used it but that was 20 years ago . I am sure that it needs re caped by now.

Thanks John
K3ZS

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:28 AM »

Might be like my Coleman popup camper.   If you lose your key while locked out, find another camper with a Coleman and borrow the key.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:49:36 AM »

I have some key switches I think.
It would be cool to make a setup where you turn 2 keys and push a button to power up the station, like a missle launch...

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »

Or just go buy a heavy duty key switch from one of the online suppliers.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »

Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1962.

1962 (MCMLXII) was a common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar, the 1962nd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 962nd year of the 2nd millennium, the 62nd year of the 20th century, and the 3rd year of the 1960s decade.

"

I'm always trying to be helpfull.

klc

What? Me worry?
Detroit47

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »

Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1962.

1962 (MCMLXII) was a common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar, the 1962nd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 962nd year of the 2nd millennium, the 62nd year of the 20th century, and the 3rd year of the 1960s decade.

"

I'm always trying to be helpfull.

klc

Nice who cares that is common knowledge unless you are illiterate. I fail to see what bearing that has on my question about keys. I do thank you for all the information though it was thoughtful of you.

73 John
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:56 PM »

Pretty sure the information for these keys is available online, perhaps by someone here as well. Can't recall if these are actual flat, cut keys or the stamped type, but it's not a new problem.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more info.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »

When I purchased my Johnson 500 it had no key.  I did a lot of research and found the original part number for the key and switch assembly.  I know I posted my wants here on AMfone and did get some advice.  I could not find a key, but did find the key / switch combination.  Its the same key and switch combo that is used on the Johnson Desk KW as well. 

The assembly is made by Arrow Hart.  I ended up finding a distributor for them out in Ohio. I am sure other distributors would carry them as well but here is the information from the one I order it from:

Part Number:  81715-L 

I paid $25.00 per assembly at the time I ordered them back in June of 2012. 

They came from:

REM Electronics Supply Co. Inc.
525 S. Park Ave. P.O. Box 831
Warren Ohio

330-392-1810 

Hope that helps! 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »

Might even be a lower price here:

http://www.surplussales.com/switches/SWAssort-1.html

I think I will buy a FEW (if they still have them)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Detroit47

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 07:57:15 PM »

Thanks guys now I have a direction to go. You know of course as soon as I get new ones i will find the other ones.

John
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »

As far as the desk key goes I believe that Steelcase made the desk kilo furniture as well as lots other office desks of that era. The key for that might be pretty easy to get.
WD8KDG

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:30 PM »

If the pencil drawer is unlocked, take it to a good locksmith. He will look at the number on the lock and cut a new key. Had to do this with my Desk KW. Piece of cake for a real locksmith.

Don't count on the desk being made by SteelCase. They were shipped from Corry PA. The paperwork that came with mine, serial #100124, states it was made by Corry-Jamestown Mfg. Corp.

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »

The key is a stamped and cut key.  It has two small raised areas along with a cutout.    This is very different that what the Steel Case keys look like.

Joe, GMS

WD8KDG

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »

Thanks guys now I have a direction to go. You know of course as soon as I get new ones i will find the other ones.

John

To clear up things, are you looking for both the key for the pencil drawer of the KW desk & the key used to turn on the 500 & the KW? The pencil drawer key is a cut key, different from the turn-on key. The turn-on keys for both the 500 & KW could very likely be the same. They are the same for mine.

Those of us that own both (KW & 500) know they are different. My 500 arrived with out a key; it was an easy matter to make one till I found a new lock & key sold at one of those e-surplus stores. The surplus store key fit the original lock.

Later down the road I noticed someone selling a key ring on flea-bay. It had two original Arrow H&H keys on the ring. These are the stamped keys with a dimple. Now both of the Big Johnsons have proper keys.

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »

My Johnson Desk KW key fits my Johnson 500 as well.

Joe, GMS

Detroit47

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »

Joe
That is what I figured that they would all be the same. 
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »

I also believe that the key for my JDK is an original one.  It sure has some nice patina!

Hope your able to come up with a solution and it appears you will.

Joe, GMS 

N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 01:39:57 PM »

I also believe that the key for my JDK is an original one.  It sure has some nice patina!

Hope your able to come up with a solution and it appears you will.

Joe, GMS 

If the keys for those are all the same, one of you with keys could just have one cut for a couple of bucks and send it to him. Unfortunately I don't have one.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015