The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HEAVY METAL RALLY  (Read 9569 times)
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« on: December 10, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »

I havent noticed any postings about the Heavy Metal Rally yet.....Anyone ?

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 09:31:28 AM »

Hi Stephine,

The November issue of ER has all the details concerning this years Heavy Metal Rally.

Date: December 28th

Start Time:  1830 EST
Stop Time:  0600 EST December 29

Scoring:

1 point per contact on each different band
1 additional point per contact if using all tube gear
1 point for each new state

Example:
If someone works 20 stations in 10 different states with a Johnson 500 (for example) the score is: 20 contacts + 10 states + 20 tube points = 50

Qualifications:

"Encourage the use of big tube type plate modulated AM transmitters running full legal AM power limit.  The winner needs to be running a rig weighing 250 lbs or 1500W PEP.  This includes big homebrew, military and vintage commercial ham gear and Class-E solid state rigs as long as they meet the qualifications.  For example, some vintage Navy rigs weighed in at over 300 pounds, but only produced 100W of carrier that's still Heavy Metal."   

Hope that helps!

Joe-GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »

Looks like I'll miss the rally again this year. I've got the legal limit rig to qualify now that the rules have changed to allow solid state running QRO.

Oh well, maybe next year, I may be in Texas by then with my own antenna farm.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:25:50 PM »

Looks like I'll miss the rally again this year. I've got the legal limit rig to qualify now that the rules have changed to allow solid state running QRO.

Oh well, maybe next year, I may be in Texas by then with my own antenna farm.

Well, the general AM Rally will be coming up - probably in the later part of January, although the date is not set.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »

I am a bit confused.  Does the rally start Saturday afternoon and end before the sun comes up Sunday morning?  Only 11 1/2 hours?  That seems rather limited, I would think the rally would last at least a 24 hour period.  Is the above a typographical error?  That does not seem to be much operating time during the daytime. 

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »

I am a bit confused.  Does the rally start Saturday afternoon and end before the sun comes up Sunday morning?  Only 11 1/2 hours?  That seems rather limited, I would think the rally would last at least a 24 hour period.  Is the above a typographical error?  That does not seem to be much operating time during the daytime. 

To quote ER: "The Heavy Metal Rally is a contest, but it's also a night for friendly AM QSO's...

The time quoted above is correct.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »

Rick,
Put that pot of coffee on and do an all nigher!   By 6AM you will be glad its over!!
Joe, GMS

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 11:14:08 AM »

Rick,
Put that pot of coffee on and do an all nigher!   By 6AM you will be glad its over!!
Joe, GMS

Thanks Pete and Joe for the clarification.  I expect to have help getting my antenna back up this weekend.  Then I can join in with my Viking 2 and HT-33A and 51J4.   Should be fun!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »

Guess I just barely make it:

1)   32V1    =     105 lbs
2)   SP600    =      66  lbs
3)   AL82     =      76  lbs
4)   SE-3     =        3  lbs

TTL Wgt      =   250  lbs

Can I weigh the bench and equipment rack for extra credit?   Grin

Al
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 01:24:18 PM »

Guess I just barely make it:

1)   32V1    =     105 lbs
2)   SP600    =      66  lbs
3)   AL82     =      76  lbs
4)   SE-3     =        3  lbs

TTL Wgt      =   250  lbs

Can I weigh the bench and equipment rack for extra credit?   Grin

Al

Hi Al,

I don't think Ray had receivers and other stuff in mind!  With the AL-82 you can run 250W and be legal for the rules for HM Wink.
Joe, GMS

w1vtp

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 01:27:06 PM »

Joe:  Oh well
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »

During the daylight hours, you can go to 10 meters AM or SSB with any weight class and do CQ contest all day long.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 08:56:53 AM »

Ok, cool...Thanks Joe...

I do not have a ER subscription..... Huh Im a little perplexed as to why the Heavy Metal Rally never seems to be posted. Not even on their website.....Outside of ER magazine its doesnt seem to get published. Seems to me to increase participation, you would want to at least post it is the appropriate place and early enough so that the search engines pick up the information.

Hi Stephine,

The November issue of ER has all the details concerning this years Heavy Metal Rally.

Scoring:

1 point per contact on each different band
1 additional point per contact if using all tube gear
1 point for each new state

Example:
If someone works 20 stations in 10 different states with a Johnson 500 (for example) the score is: 20 contacts + 10 states + 20 tube points = 50

Qualifications:

"Encourage the use of big tube type plate modulated AM transmitters running full legal AM power limit.  The winner needs to be running a rig weighing 250 lbs or 1500W PEP.  This includes big homebrew, military and vintage commercial ham gear and Class-E solid state rigs as long as they meet the qualifications.  For example, some vintage Navy rigs weighed in at over 300 pounds, but only produced 100W of carrier that's still Heavy Metal."   

Hope that helps!

Joe-GMS   

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »

Oh well

Precisely. The point should be just to get on the air to make some good AM noise and have fun. If you need points and need to win that badly, there's gotta be something more deserving of your efforts to be noticed.

I always enjoy hearing the wide variety of signals from across the country & north of the border, along with the incredible array of station gear.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge there is *no* restriction on what you can use for gear so long as it's AM, if you're just getting on to take part and have fun. If your desire is to win something then sure, you'll have to meet some basic requirements. From past discussions with Bill years back when a lot of the whining started, it was never his desire to exclude anyone or make it into a competition, more a celebration like an old motorcycle rally or such with prizes awarded to some of the more exceptional entries.

Hope to work all of you that weekend as well as throughout the winter months. Especially you Joe, maybe you'll have that wonderful Christmas present on the air in time? It's counterpart is waiting for the day.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015