The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:56:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My First 10 meter AM QSO Today!  (Read 13475 times)
ka7niq

« on: November 24, 2013, 12:24:15 AM »

I just got a Yeasu FT 1000, and heard it worked good on AM
On 29.000 today, I heard a O Station in Colorado, using a 4 element beam and a Johnson Destop Plate Modulated AM Transmitter.
I worked him, , and he told me my audio was bassy and muffled.
But, my audio got better, as I am learning how to use the FT 1000 on AM!
It was a lot of fun!
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:31:05 AM »

Welcome to AMfone, and congratulations on your first ten meter AM QSO.  Yes, it is a lot of fun!

Be thankful for honest and accurate signal reports, they help you to fine tune your rig so that you can be proud of the signal you radiate.  All the folks here on AMfone are ready and willing to help you with the technical aspects.  One of the best things about AM is the gentlemanly practices and courtesies common to operating in this mode.  Unlike contesting, we actually spend time getting to know each other, and learn about cultures and interests worldwide.  Ten meters is really hot now, so hang in there and enjoy the operating. 

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
ka7niq

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »

Welcome to AMfone, and congratulations on your first ten meter AM QSO.  Yes, it is a lot of fun!

Be thankful for honest and accurate signal reports, they help you to fine tune your rig so that you can be proud of the signal you radiate.  All the folks here on AMfone are ready and willing to help you with the technical aspects.  One of the best things about AM is the gentlemanly practices and courtesies common to operating in this mode.  Unlike contesting, we actually spend time getting to know each other, and learn about cultures and interests worldwide.  Ten meters is really hot now, so hang in there and enjoy the operating. 

Thanks!
All I have up is an Antron 99 for 10 meters. Really,, it is a poor antenna.
I have a CushCraft D 4 trap rotatable dipole I finally got assembled today!
It is ready to go on top of a 50 ft crank up Aluma Tower.

I will probably keep the Antron 99 vertical, and pplace it on the same mast as the dipole,. cause there are a bunch of us locals here on 10 meter SSB.
Most are vertically polarized.

I had a Kenwood TS 850 for nearly 20 years, but came across a deal on a Commander HF 2500 and a Yeasu FT 1000 from the daughter of a SK
I had to buy the FT 1000, to get the Commander HF 2500

I was reading somewhere that the FT 1000 does well on AM, but I need to learn how to use it properly.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »

Which FT-1000? Glad you are having fun.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »

Congrats & Welcome aboard. I moved this thread over to the QSO section as it's more appropriate for discussion here. You'll likely get more replies and needed info.

As to the FT-1000, there are several members here who run this rig. I'm sure they can help steer you in the right direction for setting up the audio properly.

Basic pointers up front are to shut *off* the processor and adjust the AM power to roughly 25% of the rated PEP output of the transceiver. This will get you in the ballpark.

Also, be very careful about running much AM carrier power into anything with traps. They tend to present quite a light show when prompted. Low power should be no issue.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ka7niq

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

Yaesu FT 1000
ka7niq

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »

Congrats & Welcome aboard. I moved this thread over to the QSO section as it's more appropriate for discussion here. You'll likely get more replies and needed info.

As to the FT-1000, there are several members here who run this rig. I'm sure they can help steer you in the right direction for setting up the audio properly.

Basic pointers up front are to shut *off* the processor and adjust the AM power to roughly 25% of the rated PEP output of the transceiver. This will get you in the ballpark.

Also, be very careful about running much AM carrier power into anything with traps. They tend to present quite a light show when prompted. Low power should be no issue.
I have a Cushcraft D 4 Trap dipole going up soon, and I will heed your warning!

10 is open right now, I just worked NOBD up in Iowa. He is running an old B&W 5100 Baker with a National NC 300
He was calling CQ on 29.018
He said he had heard of this forum before, when I  told him about it, and then the band took a crap on us.

All I have on 10 right now is an Antron 99, until I get my dipole up.
NOBD had a Hex Beam

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 11:59:18 AM »

Yaesu FT 1000

I have an FT-1000D that I use on AM from time to time.

To make it sound hi-fi and sweep from 20 Hz to 10 KHz cleanly:

Remove the stock AM filter and replace it with with a Collins 10KHz mech filter OR just use a 100 pF capacitor across the points where the AM filter was.  The AM receiver and transmitter will become broader, but still decent.

Then inject your 1 volt low level hi-fi AM transmit audio directly into the capacitor before the balanced modulator.  You can find a plug in the vicinity to slide a pin into for easy access. IE, you need to go around all that ssb low level restricted audio stuff in the FT-1000.

And, make sure the ALC meter does not move when modulating.  Do about 25 watts of carrier and 150 watts of pep to sound good on AM.  This requires the RF power control all the way up and carrier power controlled by the drive control, somewhere about 12 o'cock. This helps keep the ALC out of the circuit.

You can get reasonable results without the above mods, but diminished.

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ka7niq

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »

Yaesu FT 1000

I have an FT-1000D that I use on AM from time to time.

To make it sound hi-fi and sweep from 20 Hz to 10 KHz cleanly:

Remove the stock AM filter and replace it with with a Collins 10KHz mech filter OR just use a 100 pF capacitor across the points where the AM filter was.  The AM receiver and transmitter will become broader, but still decent.

Then inject your 1 volt low level hi-fi AM transmit audio directly into the capacitor before the balanced modulator.  You can find a plug in the vicinity to slide a pin into for easy access. IE, you need to go around all that ssb low level restricted audio stuff in the FT-1000.

And, make sure the ALC meter does not move when modulating.  Do about 25 watts of carrier and 150 watts of pep to sound good on AM.  This requires the RF power control all the way up and carrier power controlled by the drive control, somewhere about 12 o'cock. This helps keep the ALC out of the circuit.

You can get reasonable results without the above mods, but diminished.

Tom, K1JJ
Thanks Tom!
Until I can find the time to do these mods, what is the best way to run a stock Yaesu FT 1000 (not a D), on AM ?
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »

Welcome to 10M am Chris. Its a great AM band. I happened to be listening to 29 at the time of your qso. I did not hear your sig at all here in CT, propagation did not favor us. I could hear the 0 station on his Ranger very well with my homebrew 10m vertical and R390A receiver. Sounded like his Ranger TX modulator was modified for better-fi audio. Sorry I could not hear you at all, that would have been cool.
Larry
ka7niq

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »

Welcome to 10M am Chris. Its a great AM band. I happened to be listening to 29 at the time of your qso. I did not hear your sig at all here in CT, propagation did not favor us. I could hear the 0 station on his Ranger very well with my homebrew 10m vertical and R390A receiver. Sounded like his Ranger TX modulator was modified for better-fi audio. Sorry I could not hear you at all, that would have been cool.
Larry
Thanks Larry!
I worked Randy, KK7TV, shortly after him!
Yeah, the 0 Station really sounded great, as did Randy!

Looks like  the beloved "Boat Anchors" are alive and well, on 10 meter AM !
Man, I remember my old Hallicrafters SX 101 mk 3a and Hammarlund HQ 170,I think it was ?
LOL, seldom was I ever TX and RX on exactly the same frequency, but it was sure a lot of fun!

Those "were the days", way back then, and well I remember the glow of the tubes at 3am on a cold, snowy, winters night.

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »

Chris,

The best way to run an FT-1000 on AM?  

Look over my last post about setting the power level -  and setting the two knobs to see no ALC movement.

An average reading  power meter should not move much under modulation. If it shrinks a lot, then the ALC is raising heck.

Be sure whatever you use for an audio source (or simple microphone) is not overdriving the 1000.   A look at the scope can tell you everything you need to know.

If you have an EQ, then get an AMer to help you set it up for best quality on the air.  You will need some boosting between ~1500 to 4000 Hz. The stock AM filter is your limitation. If you have an off air diode monitor, you may be able to get it ball-parked yourself.

The fastest and simplest improvement you can make right away is to remove the AM filter and put a 50- 100 pf cap across the pads. The bigger the cap, the wider the bandpass.  Sharply roll off the EQ above 5 KHz.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ka7niq

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »

Chris,

The best way to run an FT-1000 on AM?  

Look over my last post about setting the power level -  and setting the two knobs to see no ALC movement.

An average reading  power meter should not move much under modulation. If it shrinks a lot, then the ALC is raising heck.

Be sure whatever you use for an audio source (or simple microphone) is not overdriving the 1000.   A look at the scope can tell you everything you need to know.

If you have an EQ, then get an AMer to help you set it up for best quality on the air.  You will need some boosting between ~1500 to 4000 Hz. The stock AM filter is your limitation. If you have an off air diode monitor, you may be able to get it ball-parked yourself.

The fastest and simplest improvement you can make right away is to remove the AM filter and put a 50- 100 pf cap across the pads. The bigger the cap, the wider the bandpass.  Sharply roll off the EQ above 5 KHz.

T
I don't have an EQ. I am using a Yaesu MD 1 mike. Where does one get the 10 k collins filter, and how much does it cost ?
Did Yaesu ever make a matching scope for the FT 1000 series ?
I am new to this radio, and owned my Kenwood 850 for nearly 20 years.

WQ9E

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »

Follow Tom's instructions carefully about setting the AM power because the instruction book is wrong.  I have no idea why Yaesu states to use the RF power control (basically a power limit control) to set the power level on AM because this will result in very poor modulation.  On CW it results in increased clicks.  Using the  drive control to set desired power is the way to go for both modes.

The FT-1000 and FT-1000D are nearly identical radios, the D simply includes the second receiver front end filters, a TCXO, and some IF filters that are optional in the straight 1000.

You should be aware that the internal fan used in this and several same era Yaesu radios can be problematic.  I cleaned and lubricated the bearing in mine and it is operating as it should again and if this is going to be a heavy use radio you should probably do the fan maintenance.  Some users add an external fan to the radio which will keep the internal fan off if there is sufficient airflow.

The FT-1000D is one of my favorite "semi-modern" transceivers.  I kept mine stock since I rarely use it for AM and for me it is mostly a CW DX radio and it is excellent in this mode.  I bought it for $200 because the receive sensitivity was very poor.  The original owner added the CW filter for the sub-receiver and it never worked after that and he decided he probably did some major damage.  I took a chance because it looked pristine and found the problem was an AGC connection to the front end board was unplugged which biased the RF stage into cutoff.  It is a keeper.

Rodger WQ9E
ka7niq

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »

Follow Tom's instructions carefully about setting the AM power because the instruction book is wrong.  I have no idea why Yaesu states to use the RF power control (basically a power limit control) to set the power level on AM because this will result in very poor modulation.  On CW it results in increased clicks.  Using the  drive control to set desired power is the way to go for both modes.

The FT-1000 and FT-1000D are nearly identical radios, the D simply includes the second receiver front end filters, a TCXO, and some IF filters that are optional in the straight 1000.

You should be aware that the internal fan used in this and several same era Yaesu radios can be problematic.  I cleaned and lubricated the bearing in mine and it is operating as it should again and if this is going to be a heavy use radio you should probably do the fan maintenance.  Some users add an external fan to the radio which will keep the internal fan off if there is sufficient airflow.

The FT-1000D is one of my favorite "semi-modern" transceivers.  I kept mine stock since I rarely use it for AM and for me it is mostly a CW DX radio and it is excellent in this mode.  I bought it for $200 because the receive sensitivity was very poor.  The original owner added the CW filter for the sub-receiver and it never worked after that and he decided he probably did some major damage.  I took a chance because it looked pristine and found the problem was an AGC connection to the front end board was unplugged which biased the RF stage into cutoff.  It is a keeper.
Thanks Rodger!
The FT 1000 is quite new to me, having owned a Kenwood TS 850 nearly 20 years.
I really did not want it, and was forced to buy it, to get my Commander HF 2500.
The daughter of the SK said "take it all or nothing", so I was "forced" to buy the entire station, just to get the Commander.
Guess what else "came along for the ride"  Smiley
A Millen Transmatch, anyone remember them ?

The FT 1000 has really grown on me, I am going to keep it, and sell the Kenwood 850.
My fan "goes off" sometimes just sitting here. I mean, it's speed increases, for no apparent reason sometimes.

I get great audio reports on SSB out of the FT 1000, since I read how a Ham in Europe runs his radio.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »

Every TS-850 I've heard on AM over the years has sounded great. I wouldn't cast it aside to quickly over the Yaesu.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ka7niq

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »

Every TS-850 I've heard on AM over the years has sounded great. I wouldn't cast it aside to quickly over the Yaesu.
I will have to get it hooked back up, and then try it on AM.
One cool thing on the Kenwood TS 850 is the hidden menu!
I went into the hidden menu, and can make my filters work on transmit, as well as receive.
I really did this for SSB, or ESSB, whatever they call it ?

The TS 850 (when used with the Kenwood DSP 1) is one of the better ESSB radios, I am told.

But, I bet it would sound great on AM, because you can literally make yourself as wide as can be.
When I did this on SSB (w/o the DSP 1 Box), I became what was known as a "Double Duck"  Embarrassed

Meaning I was transmitting on BOTH Sidebands at once, though I was over 6k wide.

I am not "married" to the Yaesu FT 1000

In fact, it kind of "scares me" because of the Commander HF 2500!

The Commander uses very very expensive tubes!

I sure as heck don't want to accidentally put the full 200 watts of the FT 1000 into it!

Seriously, this "AM Bug" has bitten me lately.

Be honest with me here guys, I will not get defensive.

What would YOU keep, and why, if you wanted the better sounding AM rig

Kenwood TS 850 or Yaesu FT 1000 ?

WQ9E

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »

I sure as heck don't want to accidentally put the full 200 watts of the FT 1000 into it!

The Commander does have grid over-current protection so that should prevent disaster but it isn't a good idea to become too reliant upon this protection.  You can use the power control on the FT-1000 as a power limit, set it to the absolute maximum output you don't want to exceed and then use the drive control to set the desired output level.  But keep in mind for CW you don't want to normally operate where the power level set by the drive control is approaching the limit set by the power control and for AM the carrier should be not over 1/4 the power limit set.

Several years ago when I was more involved in contesting I built a homebrew amp specifically to meet my contesting needs.  It uses three 4CX800 tubes in class AB1 grid driven so even with the resistive loading I use in the grid circuit it takes very little drive to run the legal limit.  I used one of the G3SEK tetrode boards for control and it provides protection against excessive control grid, screen grid, or plate current but I also have the FT-10000MP I drive it with set for a lower power limit via its menu.

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »

The TS 850 (when used with the Kenwood DSP 1) is one of the better ESSB radios, I am told.

It's really a DSP-100. When they can be found, they generally don't go for cheap. Last one I saw for sale went for $600.

Over the years I've heard several FT-1000 MP's that sounded good AM. I don't know how much difference there is between the FT-1000 and FT-1000MP. I do recall working several stations over the years using a TS-850 but don't recall if they were using a DSP-100, outboard audio, hidden menus, magic dust, etc. They all sounded good. For what I remember, there were two versions of the TS-850. From memory, I believe the early one had some chips that seem to fail and could not be replaced. Later ones I believe, were modified with more conventional chips but I'm not real sure about the history. Given the age of the TS-850, East Coast (Kenwood parts supplier) only has 113 individual parts (out of 325 originally available)  still available for the TS-850, it's not clear which would be the better choice to keep long term.

ka7niq

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 10:30:37 PM »

The Commander does have grid over-current protection so that should prevent disaster but it isn't a good idea to become too reliant upon this protection.  You can use the power control on the FT-1000 as a power limit, set it to the absolute maximum output you don't want to exceed and then use the drive control to set the desired output level.  But keep in mind for CW you don't want to normally operate where the power level set by the drive control is approaching the limit set by the power control and for AM the carrier should be not over 1/4 the power limit set.

Several years ago when I was more involved in contesting I built a homebrew amp specifically to meet my contesting needs.  It uses three 4CX800 tubes in class AB1 grid driven so even with the resistive loading I use in the grid circuit it takes very little drive to run the legal limit.  I used one of the G3SEK tetrode boards for control and it provides protection against excessive control grid, screen grid, or plate current but I also have the FT-10000MP I drive it with set for a lower power limit via its menu.
No, I sure as heck don't want to rely on the grid current protection of the Commander, especially for a pair of tubes that can easily set you back a good chunk of change , if they should fail.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »

Both are FB transceivers but the 1000 is superior. The question is if it is overkill for your needs. Do you need two receivers? Do you need 200 watts? Do you need the filtering options of the 1000? And the final question, why get rid of either?  Grin
ka7niq

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »

It's really a DSP-100. When they can be found, they generally don't go for cheap. Last one I saw for sale went for $600.

Over the years I've heard several FT-1000 MP's that sounded good AM. I don't know how much difference there is between the FT-1000 and FT-1000MP. I do recall working several stations over the years using a TS-850 but don't recall if they were using a DSP-100, outboard audio, hidden menus, magic dust, etc. They all sounded good. For what I remember, there were two versions of the TS-850. From memory, I believe the early one had some chips that seem to fail and could not be replaced. Later ones I believe, were modified with more conventional chips but I'm not real sure about the history. Given the age of the TS-850, East Coast (Kenwood parts supplier) only has 113 individual parts (out of 325 originally available)  still available for the TS-850, it's not clear which would be the better choice to keep long term.
My Bad!  Yes, it is the DSP 100, and not the DSP 1
And, 600.00 would be considered cheap for one today.
They are darn near impossible to find anymore, and if you are lucky enough to actually find one, they want "all the money" for it too.

My TS 850 is in the shop. It has never ever failed me, in the near 20 years I have owned it.
But, since the FT 1000 Yaesu came here, I decided to treat it to a full alignment.
The repair shop saw it had caps that had just started to leak, and has replaced them.
They will be finished with the alignment this week, and I will have the radio back.

WQ9E

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »

And the final question, why get rid of either?  Grin

That's the proper spirit Steve!  Smiley

The FT-1000/D and FT-1000MP are also very different rigs and I prefer the more rugged somewhat "old school" FT-1000D.  The earlier FT-One and FT-980 Yaesu siblings had a similar design relationship and the slightly older, simpler, more expensive sibling is better in both cases.  The FT-980 was the first brand new rig I owned, a college graduation gift to myself.  Several years ago I bought a  really nice used FT-One from Memphis Amateur Electronics (now absorbed/closed by HRO) and I like it a lot better than the FT-980.  My "finished Ph.D. and became tenured" present to myself was a new FT-1000MP back in 1994 and although it is a nice rig I really love the FT-1000D.

Rodger WQ9E
ka7niq

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »

Both are FB transceivers but the 1000 is superior. The question is if it is overkill for your needs. Do you need two receivers? Do you need 200 watts? Do you need the filtering options of the 1000? And the final question, why get rid of either?  Grin
No to all of the above.
I only want the one that will sound best on the air on AM and SSB, w/o going crazy.
(plug in a mic and play)
I might get an EQ, or play with mikes, etc, etc.

I forgot, AM is all about bandwidth. The 850 I can easily make wide, the FT 1000 I will have to buy an expensive filter to go wide with.

In my brief experiences with ESSB, I have watched otherwise sane, intelligent Hams, spend thousands of dollars, to make themselves sound better, to the very few Hams with receivers wide enough to appreciate it.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 02:07:49 AM »

I forgot, AM is all about bandwidth. The 850 I can easily make wide, the FT 1000 I will have to buy an expensive filter to go wide with.

If that's all AM was about, many of us would have been gone long ago. If wide is your only passion, FM is allowed above 29 MHz.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015