The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:14:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conalrad  (Read 19581 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »

Where I went to grammar school, "duck and cover" was always a problem for chubby kids.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »

I don't remember it because we never did it. That was gone before I started school.

Teachers hated it.  It was like an unexpected recess and it took about 20 minutes for the class to settle back down.  That is where I met my first girlfriend.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 06:37:22 PM »

Under the desk?   Cheesy
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »

The cold war was almost over by the time I started school. We didn't have any of these things. And I'm 46, so you guy's  that remember practicing this stuff are dating yourselves.. lol Oh, forgot to add I lived my first 8-9 years in England. We didn't come to the US until 1975.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »

Next many of you will tell me you don't remember "duck and cover", especially for kids in schools to dive under their desks.
YUP there were many practices in my school. And FALLOUT shelters.
Todd,,,,I remember the Conalert receiver during my smokey WGTB days at Georgetown University. eheheheheh

Fred KC4MOP
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »

I remember the Conalert receiver during my smokey WGTB days at Georgetown University. eheheheheh

You talking about the rack mount version with the big light and speaker that could be turned on manually?  It was muted until you received an alert.  I always felt as if someone was looking over my sholder.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »

Where I went to grammar school, "duck and cover" was always a problem for chubby kids.

Sister Philimeana 1st Grade. The scariest days of my life. First time away from home and the nuns slapping the kids and wacking their hands with a ruler.
Or bending over the Sister's knees for a spankin in front of the class.

Fred KC4MOP
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »

My first few years were in English school, which at the time the Education system was run by the Church Of England so I had nuns for teachers until I got into American school on base.

The nuns still would not teach me to write left handed so I got slapped with the pointer stick every time I tried. So I didn't learn to write (in school) until the second grade. Then we came to the US and I was put down a grade so I spent 2 years in the third grade.

I never got spanked by the nuns in front of class though. Although one tried to force me to eat my rhubarb pie and I puked on her shoes.. lol Still to this day I hate rhubarb. Liver too.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »

Class of 1990 here,  and I remember monthly duck and cover drills.

Same time as watching the space shuttle take off and landings in class.

And having the SR-71 blowing sonic booms.

Can't wait to see the SR-72!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

I don't remember it because we never did it. That was gone before I started school.

Teachers hated it.  It was like an unexpected recess and it took about 20 minutes for the class to settle back down.  That is where I met my first girlfriend.

Reminds me when I was attending RCA Institutes in NYC (just a hop and a skip from Greenwich Village) back in the "good old days". It was mandatory to have a monthly fire drill. We all had to vacate the building. Right around the corner was the Red Rose Tavern. Nothing like having a $.15 draft at 10 in the morning and then heading back to class in time. Cheesy

N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 05:44:19 PM »

Classic!

"Right around the corner was the Red Rose Tavern. Nothing like having a $.15 draft at 10 in the morning and then heading back to class in time. Cheesy"

We had the Midtown Tavern, AKA "The Polish Palace" Drafts were up to
$.35 by then but you could use the glasses as "Jack Stands" for your ride..

One of my earliest childhood memories was coming home from school after
the Kennedy assassination  (They sent everyone home) and seeing my dad watching the  TV in B&W.  I asked him if it "Made him cry?", He said " a little".

/Dan
KA2DZT

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 12:59:49 AM »

I went to RCA Institute back in the mid 60s.  I think we spent more more time in the tavern than in class on some days.  One night I just stepped out of the elevator there when the lights went out.  Had to walk all the way to the 40th street bus station that night.  As I remember, coming out of the elevator the lights began to go out but came back on.  I walked one block to the 14th street subway station and just started down the stairway to the subway when the lights went off and stayed off.  That was the big black-out that covered most of the northeast.

Fred
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »

Fred,

I was at RCA Institute at the same time and went through the blackout. I left the school and walked to the 14 th st station and looked down the stairs...dark as the inside of your hat! My friends and I walked to Penn station to see if the LIRR was running, I lived out on LI, they weren't of course. I tried to call my parents from there but the phones where totally bogged down. When you picked up the receiver you could hear dozens of conversations but no dial tone. We had a beer there and decided to walk to Astoria Queens where one of the guys lived and he would then drive me home to Wantagh. We walked across the 59th st bridge and headed north into LI city and other areas until we reached Astoria. His mother made us all dinner and he got me home about 2am. No one bothered us and we witnessed no crime at all. I figure we walked about 7 or 8 miles that night.

Steve,
WA2TTP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 03:27:59 AM »

You guys had the afternoon classes during that time. I had the morning classes so I was already home.

K9PNP

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 07:51:35 PM »

Next many of you will tell me you don't remember "duck and cover", especially for kids in schools to dive under their desks.

I remember it.  We only did it very occasionally.  Of course, we were outside of the projected target areas [the powers to be told us at the time], so it was not a big thing here.  Of course, after looking at some of the declassified items released concerning the Cold War, I'm not so sure we were not close enough to some tertiary targets to be a problem.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015