The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:38:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Variac...  (Read 5659 times)
KA9EGW

« on: October 05, 2013, 10:20:24 PM »

Just scored a killer deal on a 220V 2-section variac, but it is missing either a bearing or a bushing on the bottom.  Should this be some sort of bronze bushing, plastic bushing, ball bearing, anything-that-fits?  73, Brian KA9EGW  ka9egw@britewerkz.com
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 10:33:57 PM »

methinks they are a bronze bushing.....got pictures??
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:20:54 AM »

Lots of variations and models of variacs.  GR made Variacs.  Others made even more variations.  Try to get up some pics so we can try to help.

Fred
KA9EGW

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »

Here they are...

* variac2.jpg (1732.49 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 385 times.)

* variac1.jpg (992.16 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 359 times.)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »

Only GR made Variacs.  It is a copyrighted term.

Everybody else (Staco, Ohmite, eTc) had to call them something else.

Not that helps with your query.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KL7OF

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »

That looks like it should have a bushing......I turned 3 of my autotransformers over....they are of 2 different brands..(no variacs) THEY ALL 3 HAVE BUSHINGS....You might be able to buy a standard bushing...(They still sell them at my local ACE hardware...) or a standard shaft collar...with a little hack artist work you could make it fit....There may be a bearing available in the standard bearing catalog that will fit in there as well....Plastic may be the answer for you...easy to make and will hold up under the high speed operation of a variac...how are the windings on you Variac???Some of them look like the varnish is coming off......Good Luck....Let us know...
KA9EGW

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »

have lathe and delrin stock, will travel... Grin  Thank you!
KA2DZT

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 03:41:08 AM »

have lathe and delrin stock, will travel... Grin  Thank you!

I've spent the last 5 weeks rebuilding one of my lathes.

I have one of those 230 Variacs,  I'll dig it out and take a look, hopefully today.  On some variacs the wiper is in direct contact with the shaft, but the shaft will have an insulated sleeve over it.  Some, the wiper has an insulating collar between it and the shaft.  Looking at your pic, my first guess is there is an insulating collar missing.  Replacing it can be a PITA, easy if you have a lathe.

I just built a variac box with a meter and outlets etc using a variac similar to what you have.  I mounted the variac to the front panel using the bottom casting.  The shaft can be pushed through the bottom.

Took a look at my 230 Variac, it is a single section 230 type.  It is completely different than the one you have.  If the wipers have insulating bushings between them and the shaft, then you may only need a metal bushing.

You need take a close look at the whole thing.

Fred
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »

Mine like that used a plastic or fiberglass resin sort of bushing because the back end of the shaft was hot to the wiper wheel. Check how it's made. Look at the wiper, wheel or arm, and the shaft. See if they are electrically connected or not.

On mine there is a central metal shaft connecting two sections. Concentric with that but insulated from it are the metal shafts on which the wiper wheels are fixed. That is why the insulating  bushing on mine has a smaller hole.

* 100_5542a.JPG (141.04 KB, 691x598 - viewed 322 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KA9EGW

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 12:02:52 AM »

Well, I have some Delrin stock perfect for the job...and since it tests ok without a bushing [provided you lean on the knob just so  Wink ] I figure I'll just turn a bushing, press it in place and call it done...the bottom spider is some sort of nonconductive fiberglass or something anyhow so whether or not the bushing is conductive strikes me as irrelevant, eh?. 

Many thanks to all for your help!

73, Brian KA9EGW
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »

You speak of "leaning on the shaft" to get output, and I wondered about this when I first read your earlier posts.  what mechanical means is used to establish, and hold the vertical position of the shaft relative to the transformer frame?    E clips, snap rings?

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
KA9EGW

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »

By "leaning on the shaft" I mean that with the bottom bushing missing, the bottom end of the shaft can walk around enough to cause the brush to lose contact.  I expect with a new bushing all will be well...not sure exactly what holds the shaft in, but it is possible to pick the whole thing up by the knob...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015