The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:07:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What a difference ! Power Line Noise solution  (Read 12225 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 11:53:22 AM »

That is fantastic news Tom. Like you said, the biggest difference is during the day. At my first QTH here in VA, I had a very low noise floor. At mid-day, while listening on 160 meters (AM mode) I could disconnect the antenna and the S-meter would not move. It was S0 with the antenna connected or disconnected. At first I thought either the receiver or the antenna were broken. However, with the antenna connected, the noise in the headphones has a slight 60 Hz characteristic compared to pure white noise with the antenna disconnected. That low noise floor was nice, especially compared to the horrendous noise at my previous QTH in Baltimore. There 160 was nearly unusable in the day and was even rough sometimes at night. Seventy-five meters wasn't much better sometimes. When I listen to recordings I made from the time now, I cringe.

The noise floor was almost as low at my current location when I first moved in. It has crept up over time. I now have some nasty 60 Hz buzz on the higher bands, especially 10 meters. It's not constant and seems to vary with rain and wind. I need to do a drive around and locate it.

Now that your local area is so quiet, you may find that you will start to hear noise sources at greater distances from your house.  Wink  The local noise here on 80 meters (similar on 160 and 40) is noticeably higher to the south and southwest than it is to the northeast. There is a particularly noticeable buzzy to my southeast. It's not very loud but it's there. I don't hear it when beaming northeast. The general noise floor rise to my southwest is likely due to the layout of my neighborhood. I'm on the northeast edge of the development, so there are only one or two houses to my northeast. There are a hundred or more to my southwest.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015