The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:25:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visit with Bill, W3DUQ  (Read 6943 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: June 10, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »

Just wanted to let those that know Bill, W3DUQ that he is doing well.  Martha and I visited him this past Sunday afternoon and stayed with him for about an hour.  Same Bill, but just in a different setting.  Not much opportunity for radio in the nursing home but I took my 2M Handheld and was able to hit my 2M repeater very well.  Bill would frequently get on my repeater from time to time and expressed interest in getting back on it providing he still has his old 2M rig back at his house.  I have a 2M to HF link set up at my station, so he could be back on the "whats for dinner net" soon. 

Naturally, he sends his regards to all those that he knows on here.

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »

Thanks Joe, I was just thinking about him today.
Larry
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »

Thanks for the report on Bill. Glad to hear he's doing well. Bill is one of the first voices I heard on AM almost 40 years ago. I will always remember his loud audio, creaky chair and interesting conversations.
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »

Just wanted to let those that know Bill, W3DUQ that he is doing well.  Martha and I visited him this past Sunday afternoon and stayed with him for about an hour.  Same Bill, but just in a different setting.  Not much opportunity for radio in the nursing home but I took my 2M Handheld and was able to hit my 2M repeater very well.  Bill would frequently get on my repeater from time to time and expressed interest in getting back on it providing he still has his old 2M rig back at his house.  I have a 2M to HF link set up at my station, so he could be back on the "whats for dinner net" soon. 

Naturally, he sends his regards to all those that he knows on here.

Joe, W3GMS   

Thank you for that, Joe. Bill is an original mind, and one of the most interesting people I've ever met. Tell him I said that! If he could get back on HF that would be beyond great. I am just getting back on the air myself.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:34 AM »

Thanks for the news Joe.

Bill is one of a kind.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »

Well, I appreciate everyone's response.  I will certainly pass along all of your regards when we visit him the next time. 

Bill was one of the first AM signals I heard on 75M along with Harry, W3FDY.  I first heard Bill when he was living with his parents on Powell Lane in West Chester.  He always had a stellar signal with great audio.  Bill lead the pack when it came to technology by always experimenting with something new. 

Joe, GMS   

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »

Tnx for the info, Joe.   Yep, Bill is one of a kind.

While he was on it seemed like the era would never end, but alas, it finally did.... [sigh]   He was a bundle of fun on 75M.

I first met Bill in 1972 when he told me he was running a mysterious contraption called an "upside-down" tube rig.
He was nice enuff to send me a hand-drawn schematic of his pair of 6DQ5s.  I built it up and got it on the air too.

Time just keeps going by.  It wud be cool if you linked him in from 2M to 75M, Joe.     A classic legend would be heard again.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »

Indeed. Since at least 1957!

* 1957w3duqqsl.jpg (68.34 KB, 800x514 - viewed 445 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 04:57:36 AM »

//  He always had a stellar signal with great audio.  //
Joe, GMS   

Nice to hear how Uncle Willie is doing.  Miss hearing him on the radio. With the quality of YOUR station Joe, I wonder if a Skype-type connection to him thru your board might best bring him through the ęther to us...
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 07:09:06 AM »

Joe, GMS   

Nice to hear how Uncle Willie is doing.  Miss hearing him on the radio. With the quality of YOUR station Joe, I wonder if a Skype-type connection to him thru your board might best bring him through the ęther to us...

that would be really nice !

Fred KC4MOP
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »

Joe, GMS   

That is probably a much better way to go Paul.  I have designed my repeater to be very transparent from an audio perspective, but considering the audio quality of most 2M rigs, Skype would be the way to go.  Bill being very computer savvy would not mind talking into his AKG plugged into his laptop!   
I have never used Skype, but I think I can handle it!   I have plenty of spare channels on the Wheatstone/Audioarts board so it should be a no brainier.  Is Skype full duplex? 

Joe, GMS

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 07:20:30 AM »

Indeed. Since at least 1957!

Steve,
When I  went into the service, my parents got rid of all my early QSL cards including my beloved RCC wallpaper!  That is a great card for sure.  I remember Bill when he was using that gear.  Even back then, he sounded great!
Joe, GMS   

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »

Tnx for the info, Joe.   Yep, Bill is one of a kind.

While he was on it seemed like the era would never end, but alas, it finally did.... [sigh]   He was a bundle of fun on 75M.

I first met Bill in 1972 when he told me he was running a mysterious contraption called an "upside-down" tube rig.
He was nice enuff to send me a hand-drawn schematic of his pair of 6DQ5s.  I built it up and got it on the air too.

Time just keeps going by.  It wud be cool if you linked him in from 2M to 75M, Joe.     A classic legend would be heard again.

T

Bill is indeed one of a kind!  I remember very well when I first heard him with the "upside-down" tube circuit.  He built that into a Heathkit Apache transmitter.  He then used a very big linear to run some power!   The tube may have been from a vibration shaker table. Yep, likewise Bill sent me that circuit which I still have.  Then came the new audio mixer/driver amplifier with the built in GE "uni-level" circuit of which I have the schematic for.  He built that while working at Sonibond which was a firm that designed and built ultrasonic welding equipment.   That is where several of my CG-309 plate transformers came from.  I will never forget the HRO-60 receiver supplied with a 6" S meter courtesy of Bob Egans (sp)WA3EPA (sk).  Oh the stories could go on and on! 

Joe, GMS   

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 07:00:15 PM »

Joe,

Did you think to ask Bill why he never answers his phone...

He called me several months back, asking me to see if he could
retrieve his pass word here.  I called Jonny Novice about it and
he got back to me stating he reset it for Bill but when I attemped to
get back to him, the number was disconnected according to the
message I received on dialing.

I have tried the number assigned to him at the place he is residing
(I posted it here on AMFone some time back)and it just rings and
rings, never a pick-up so I just gave up months ago...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 09:55:53 PM »

He has caller ID.

Did you think to ask Bill why he never answers his phone...

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 11:26:39 PM »

Yeah, thanks Steve   Tongue Cheesy Grin

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015