The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:10:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lights out, noise gone.  (Read 2888 times)
WA3VJB
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:15:21 PM »

Wow. 

The power went out around 4:30pm here at the house when a line of thunderstorms moved through.

Rolled out the generator when it looked like it would be a while before they restored service, and right now I'm listening to 3885Kc.

Amazingly quiet, as Nick KG2IR and others have a QSO.

If you ever get a chance to power up a receiver when your neighborhood loses street power, well, maybe you don't want to know just how bad it has gotten.
WD8KDG

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »

Where do I sign up for a couple day outage?

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
W8VG

Eins, Zwei, Drei, Vier, Lets go have a beer!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »

I remember when Irene came thru (2003?) and we lost power in Stafford VA.  I still had battery left on my FT-817 so hit the button and couldn't believe how nice it sounded.  And that was with underground power lines. 

Here in So CA, we've got overhead lines in local area and I usually have to switch rcvr over to a Pixel Loop for a decent evening on 75!  Sometimes I get two major noise sources and then it's just time to hit the hay or head out to the garage (where I have a beerfridge next to my workbench)!

Licensed in 1970, Terrace Park, Ohio
Formerly WN8HVG, WB8HVG, DA1EV, AA8PF
Colonel, Signal Corps, USA (Ret)
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »

I remember when Irene came thru (2003?) and we lost power in Stafford VA.  I still had battery left on my FT-817 so hit the button and couldn't believe how nice it sounded.  And that was with underground power lines.  

Here in So CA, we've got overhead lines in local area and I usually have to switch rcvr over to a Pixel Loop for a decent evening on 75!  Sometimes I get two major noise sources and then it's just time to hit the hay or head out to the garage (where I have a beerfridge next to my workbench)!

Yeah it's frustrating to actually KNOW the difference in interference levels. Last time the power was out here for a bit, I was listening to two mobiles talk to each other on the chicken band. While this isnt a big deal normally, when one of them called out some street names, my phone googling of those street names revealed them as being in NJ.  Undecided

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:58:35 PM »

A number of different measurements I've seen over the years (some more recent than others) show a 10 or even 20 dB difference in the noise floor on HF (or lower HF) between suburban and quiet rural locations. That's huge!
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »

Where do I sign up for a couple day outage?

Craig,

Maybe move to an area "served" by Ameren  Grin

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015