The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:04:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advise on HF/6 Rig For AM  (Read 7853 times)
Ed WA4NJY

« on: June 02, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »

I am in the market for a new portable rig with good AM out of the box.  Looks like the Yaesu FT-450D and Kenwood TS-480 are the most likely candidates.

Six meter AM will be used also.

Any thoughts on those two?  Or others?

Thanks,

Ed WA4NJY
Bradenton, Fl
wa3dsp

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:44:21 PM »

I like my IC-7000 which all modes on 160 through 3/4 meters with the exception of 222 mhz. Most of the modern rigs will run all modes on any band that they cover but keep in mind that the AM carrier power is about 25% of the SSB power rating. Most of the new rigs are automatic in that regard so there is no need to adjust carrier or audio levels.

It all depends what you want to spend. The IC7000 is designed as a mobile but it works well as a compact fixed rig also. It has excellent audio when used with a good microphone. Icom has a new IC7100 also with different styling and a few new features. All the other top manufacturers have similar rigs.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »

Hi Ed,

I guess it comes down to what your own definition of what "good AM" would be. I don't recall working anyone using an FT-450D or TS-480 on AM so I can't comment on either of those rigs.

I have a Yaesu FT-897D that I use mostly on 6M FM along with 2M and 440MHz FM and SSB. It sounds horrible on AM so I would not be inclined to recommend it. I also found the IC-7000 to be unimpressive (weak and muffled sounding to my ears) when transmitting with the AM mode. I've worked a few stock IC-706 rigs on AM and would have believed the owners if they said they were running a stock Valiant or Apache. The Kenwood TS-590S is considered portable by many and with a TX EQ profile created with Kenwood's free software (ARCP590) it sounds fairly smooth on AM in my opinion. It modulates to just about 100% without straining, but as with many of the newer rigs, the ALC begins to impose itself if you get carried away. As with most of these rigs, the maximum TX bandwidth on AM is limited to 6 kHz.You can take a listen to my TS-590S on AM here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn94nRnBisY

The TS-590S also has a very pleasant AM receiver. The receive bandwidth can be set as wide as 10 kHz and you have an 18 band EQ available to tailor the receive audio as you wish. You can take a listen to a 1 minute recording of an AM broadcast station that I made through the USB audio interface ported directly into Adobe Audition here:

http://www.w1aex.com/ts590s/590_USB_codec_direct_recording.mp3

That's all I've got! Good luck with whatever you choose to pick up!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »

I've worked two guys recently on 20 meter AM that were using a FT-450D. Didn't sound bad even for 25 watts. Both were using stock mikes. I've used a stock IC-7000 and IC-706 MKIIG on AM with a Heil mike and reports were good. Both also didn't sound bad using a amplified D-104. With the stock mike, reports were "ugh" to fair. On 6 meters AM, high AM quality is not a requirement. Most are happy just to be heard. AM breast-beating is generally confined to the lower HF bands.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »

Dont overlook an Elmac AF-68 if you already have AM receive capability. Consider it a pint size Ranger 2

http://www.w8zr.net/vintage/transmitters/af68.htm

Carl
Ed WA4NJY

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »

Thanks for the input both on and off board.  Looks like I will go the Kenwood route, maybe a new TS-480.
I have an ICOM 746PRO, but the ALC issue makes me want to avoid their small rigs.

Ed
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 10:31:33 AM »

I've used a IC 746 on AM.

A 9V battery, a DIN connector, 100k pot and some wire. This simple 'mod' controlls the ALC via the back of the radio. I've go reports of "ok" but restricted audio with the supplied hand mike. There is an easy way , via a back connector, to add  outboard audio and/or a mic.  Per 'HLR, add a mic thats better than the issued one and your good to go without a lot of work.

klc

What? Me worry?
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:40:39 AM »

Flex 3000. Absolutely outstanding on AM and now the only option in this lineup as the 5K has been discontinued. Of course the 6000s are priced way out of reach for most of us (when they do become available, that is).

Its small, and would work with a laptop, so this may affect your definition of "portable".

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »

Thanks for the input both on and off board.  Looks like I will go the Kenwood route, maybe a new TS-480.
I have an ICOM 746PRO, but the ALC issue makes me want to avoid their small rigs.

Ed

The ALC issue, if you want to call it an issue (many don't) resides on many of the current transceivers. Manufacturers do it different ways but the main point is to prevent over driving a linear amplifier. It's just more pronounced when operating AM. I use a Icom IC-756 PRO II on AM and never use the stock mike. I have a homebrew equalizer that feeds into one of the accessory sockets and feeds the audio directly to the modulator. Even a better mike into the mike jack will make the AM audio sound better. The TS-480 has some great features although I've never heard one on AM.

The Flex 3000 is a great rig except you have to drag around a computer to make it run. If space and handling is a issue for portability, decisions: rig, case of beer or the computer; I know which one will win out here.

ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »

No brainer....beer wins everytime. A good, cloudy, German wheat beer would fit the bill.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »

Hams always sound better on the air after drinking several cans of Iron City beer.

WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »

Yes, Olde FrothingSlosh:  "The Pale Stale Ale with the Foam on the BOTTOM"

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 11:26:35 PM »

I remember one FD year when someone brought something. No idea what it was, but it was blue. Our first few hours of Field Day suffered, especially since I'm usually the defacto CW guy.

WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 01:01:43 AM »

I use a Kenwood TS-480sat on AM when I'm operating remote via the internet. I've received very good audio reports and the receiver is good on AM.
I run about 15 watts into an Ameritron ALS-600 amp which give me about 100 watts of carrier.

I think the trick is not to push the radio or the amp to its limits.

Steve
Ed WA4NJY

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »

I use a Kenwood TS-480sat on AM when I'm operating remote via the internet. I've received very good audio reports and the receiver is good on AM.
I run about 15 watts into an Ameritron ALS-600 amp which give me about 100 watts of carrier.

I think the trick is not to push the radio or the amp to its limits.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  That is the kind of info I need. 

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015