The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:58:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking Ranger Help  (Read 7210 times)
Burt
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:48:51 AM »

The PTT relay is open, therefore in order to operate phone I have to put a key in the down position and seperately actuate a relay to do antenna changeover. How can I get it back to before the PTT relay was added as I have no use for PTT anyway. I just want 110v  appear on the rear output pins on both phone and CW, not just CW.
It is a good thing I had a problem as I found out the 110v input cord was frayed. The fused plug was a pain to get back together.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:24:17 AM »

Burt, you might wish to replace the relay. The mode switch is a nightmare to change and the wear from T/R is plenty. The relay saves future heartache.
Burt
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »

Burt, you might wish to replace the relay. The mode switch is a nightmare to change and the wear from T/R is plenty. The relay saves future heartache.

The relay is no longer made, subs?
Plus I have no desire to use PTT and would wire it permenently on.
I won't use the Ranger that much and just want to make it work on phone without throwing three switches
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:57:03 PM »

Part number or closeup pix may help someone figure out what is there.
wa3dsp

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:37:21 AM »

OK dumb question - if you are just going to wire it on then why not just short the normally open contacts on the relay and cut the wires to the coil.

The relay that is in there is the wrong way to go even if you want PTT. There are many ways to replace it but I used a 12V relay and derived 12V from a 12VCT transformer 1/2 across the 6.3 VAC line.

See - http://www.crompton.com/hamradio/JohnsonRanger/RangerRestoration.html
Burt
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »

Good responses. I do not know why I did not think of just shorting the contacts and using the function switch. It works the way I want when I do this, it switches the 110v for the relay the way I want. I have no desire to use PTT.
Burt
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »

Good responses. I do not know why I did not think of just shorting the contacts and using the function switch. It works the way I want when I do this, it switches the 110v for the relay the way I want. I have no desire to use PTT.
Burt

Add the letter n between the r and t of your name. That's what the function switch will land up being after a while.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 08:44:55 PM »

Add the letter n between the r and t of your name. That's what the function switch will land up being after a while.

Dave C. should write for Dave L.   Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Burt
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 06:07:07 AM »

Burt

With the voltage coming out of the mike connector at the current setup, over 200v, I will be burnt if there is any leakage.
I won't be using the Ranger that much. It is easier to replace the switch than me
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »

Dave C. should write for Dave L.   Grin

T

That would be one way to get rid of me. Sri wrong network.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »

Burt

With the voltage coming out of the mike connector at the current setup, over 200v, I will be burnt if there is any leakage.
I won't be using the Ranger that much. It is easier to replace the switch than me

It's current limited.
Burt
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »

Burt

It's current limited.

When I touched it I threw a screw driver across the room. Missed my monitor by an inch.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »

200V on a PTT line. WTF?
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »

Burt

It's current limited.

When I touched it I threw a screw driver across the room. Missed my monitor by an inch.

You need practice.
Burt
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 06:13:37 AM »

200V on a PTT line. WTF?

Actually it was 300v with no load, it is a 115v relay, when loaded it is 115v, but the coil resistance is lower than my finger.
VE3AJM

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 07:42:05 AM »

If you don't want to use any PTT, just remove the PTT circuit and components return the transmitter to original, and take your chances with using the function switch??
Or, find a replacement low voltage multipole/throw relay and drop the coil voltage accordingly, and your worries about high voltage on the PTT line will be taken care of. They're not hard to find.

Al VE3AJM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015