The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:00:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Vu schools "The Don" on technique numba 155...  (Read 14382 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »

No problem. I apologize for coming on so strongly. I completely understand if someone didn't care for the "act" in the recording. Different strokes for different folks. I just don't see why the locale of the "act" was relevant. From what I've seen over the years, once some of the preconceived regionalism is set aside (I admit to falling prey to it), everyone seems a lot more alike than different. That said, I like the differences. If everyone was the same, things really would be boring.   Grin

guy's,

maybe i jumped the gun and was too critical. Sounds llke Tom Vu is a regular regional AM thing you boys out east do and enjoy, kind of like Uncle Ed WA3PUN doing Amos and Andy back in the day. Sometimes I just get freaked out when I hear stuff like this. When I listened to the audio clip it just reminded me of 11 meters. I got my start there like many of us did and I worked hard to get my ticket and escape, I probably get over protective of the priviliges I've worked hard for. I completely understand the spirit and good natured fun of theTom Vu thing. Even us "hayseeds" in the midwest like to have fun on the air from time to time. No harm No foul.. keep it up and enjoy, life is short Smiley

73's
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »

Yep, it's easy to get offended too quickly. When I was first licensed in the early 80s I thought I had to be a certain way and have a disdain for any of that 'funny' stuff. Did the CW thing, upgraded and worked the world on SSB chasing DX until it got boring too. AM saved my interest in radio and all the time/effort I'd put into it.

One of my favorites from back in the day was a distant relative of Tom Vu's, aka Sgt Anderson. Tom introduced him to me at one of the old rainchester events, complete with crew cut. Maybe we'll hear from him again some late evening.  Grin

The funny thing about the whole CB/11m thing is that it's just like amateur radio: a radio service. Not surprisingly, you have a few floaters, percentage-wise. But if you're going to condemn an entire service by the bad apples, you'd never get on the ham bands either. Listen any night and you'll hear far, far worse than CB on 75 and elsewhere. Not humorous, either. Jamming, name calling, etc etc. Stellar examples in our midst, yet some still feel superior enough to criticize.

This is what happens when we dont have any one to enforce rules.  Run as much power as you want, Splatter all over the bands, Cuss, play music.  Nobody is there to slap you on the wrist. 

Didn't know you so fond of slapping, Clark. BTW, you left out 'lecture'. Since I've been on an 'old saying' kick this week, here's another: Don't go away mad, just go away.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WB2CAU

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »

The next time your rig blows up or life gets ya down, just sit back and play this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY

Cheesy

T

I like your sense of humor Mr. Vu.  That video cracked me up!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »

You never know what wisdom will come forth on 75 meter AM. While innocently tuning through the AM Ghetto I heard Tom Vu schooling "The Don" on technique "numba 155" from the Tom Vu seminar on wealth acquisition and the accumulation of "pletty gilrls".  (That is not a misspelling.) Use this information wisely...

I know a guy that sells infomercial time on TV.  He can get Tom some great rates!  I can just picture Tom out in Hawaii giving a seminar!  The room would be packed Smiley

Way to funny and thanks for having the digital recording running Rob.

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »

Check out who is singing in the background of this TV commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fuijhUn0pk

The next time your rig blows up or life gets ya down, just sit back and play this:

Cheesy

T

I like your sense of humor Mr. Vu.  That video cracked me up!
W4AAB

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 01:39:12 AM »

Eduard Khil died a few months ago. The video was from the early 1970's. The Trololo thing lasted long enough to be parodied on "Family Guy".
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 03:53:26 AM »

I find the Tom Vu routines very funny and don't see that any rules are broken.  I haen't heard that any "Pink Slips" we're issued.  .

I can tell you that most SWLs don't usually listen to hams because many of the QSOs are pretty boring.  However some love to listen to 75 AM because it can be entertaining at times. 

Speaking of "Tom Vu" I still laugh whenever I hear "Ring Christmas Bells" over the Holiday Seqson because I automatically recall Tom's hilarious version.  I think it's archived for posterity on this Forum site somewhere ......... Great stuff!

Lighten up.......Tom Vu rocks,

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 09:53:35 PM »

Dern, I'm sorry I missed out on this bit of fun.  Of course, Tom Vu's favorite movie is "Feee Reeelie!"

FLIPPIT
KA4KOE

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »

Cheesy

T

Updated version in 2012, I guess right before he died. The video gets interesting about 20 seconds into it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL8CD8PjVmA&feature=share&list=PLA24D7388DAED0215

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015